Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Butterscotch Shenanigans vs. Piracy - must-read!

This is heavily depressing but relieving at the same time.

I just hope that those cheap pirate bustarts all drop their devices accidentally into the toilet or there's a meltdown by an electrical overload while frying their most beloved body parts. Can't even spend ONE lousy dollar for a high-quality game like Towelfight 2. Yes, I mean you, who downloaded the game without paying. And you. And also you. If you don't pay, you don't deserve to play. Idiots.
That's one of the reasons why some people quit developing. I don't want the Scotchies having to do the same - leaving development of mobile gaming. That would be a disaster, somehow. But it's not in my hands.

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2013/06...page-free-play

/anger

Last edited by Vovin; 06-07-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I feel ashamed that I got this when it went free...
Edit : left 5 star review , hope it helps

Last edited by DannyTheElite; 06-07-2013 at 10:49 AM..
Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM

A shame. A solid and lenghty RPG with lots of quality and for the asking price of mere .99 cents and no IAP, it was basically a steal from start. Glad I bought it when it wasn't free and hope the devs make it through. Had loads of fun playing it and for those who pirated it, shame on you - would like to take .99 cents off of your every workhour and see how you'd feel about that.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pham View Post
A shame. A solid and lenghty RPG with lots of quality and for the asking price of mere .99 cents and no IAP, it was basically a steal from start. Glad I bought it when it wasn't free and hope the devs make it through. Had loads of fun playing it and for those who pirated it, shame on you - would like to take .99 cents off of your every workhour and see how you'd feel about that.

WORD, mate, especially the last sentence.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
iPad mini

I hope it works out for them, but another excellent small indie dev, Radiangames, who achieved critical acclaim, without financial success, with a series of paid games, not just one, tried exactly this:

Quote:
In the meantime, we'll make our free games with the same fervor and style as we did with Towelfight (and now Quadropus), with a STERN EYE on making our monetization fair and balanced. Not Fox News style -- we mean it.
And it failed terribly, to the point where he is now rebalancing the game in a last ditch effort to stay in business.

I think the unfortunate truth that is emerging is that, if you stick to this ideal:

Quote:
We thought that if you make a game free-to-play and depend on microtransactions, your game's design is compromised. Your gameplay starts to revolve around profit maximization rather than fun, around extortion instead of immersion. We thought, "�������� THAT. We'll have no part in it.
Which I agree with 100%, then you had better keep your day job, or be independently wealthy.

This dependence on the generosity of your fans:

Quote:
Free games should allow us to rapidly build an audience who, after getting to know us as a studio and seeing what kinds of games we make, may be willing to throw us 99 cents for a game in the future.
No matter how devoted they may be, or how much fun they have with the game, strikes me as more wishful thinking than reality.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

so do they mean towel fight 2 and quad topics will be freemium? or just that their future games will be? anyway, it's a shame that it is such a pirated game. I downloaded towelfight for free not knowing all this was happening. now I'll just do what I can and give them a 5-star review.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
WORD, mate, especially the last sentence.
!!!!!!!