Are there any really scary games in the app store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dogface, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

#1 dogface, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
    There's already a thread about Dead Space but are there any good scares in the app store?

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Hysteria project 2.

3. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Your title made me laugh. I hope I'm not a scary gamer. :p
    Anyway, I haven't tried it but I hear Papa Sangre can be pretty immersively scary. So far for me, only Dead Space has made me jump a few times.

4. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Star Breed is intense and scary, but it requires reading.

5. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I came in curious to find out the criteria of a scary gamer. You disappointed me. :p

Not sure if the Mystique series is scary enough for you. Dead Space is almost too scary for me.

6. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    lmao

7. dreadwench

dreadwench Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I've met lots of scary gamers.
    None on the app store though :p

8. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Papa Sangre is a cool one. It scares you with immersive audio effects, which is the basis of the whole game. There is no video in this "video game" to distract you from the amazing 3d sound quality.

Dead Space... not as scary as I imagined it could have been, but it does have a good suspense about it, as you walk alone through these desolate, graphics-heavy corridors.

Soul- A lesser known title, an artistic maze game that has you as a glimmering pulse of light and hope in a labyrinth of darkness and evil...

Aftermath- Another lesser known title, this zombie shooter has an amazing atmosphere that sucks you in to a ruined city populated by the undead, implementing neat lighting effects and a gritty, cool style that's rare on the App Store.

9. I was thinking that. A title fail, lol.

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hysteria Project 2
    Dead Space (yes, I know you mentioned it)
    Papa Sangre
    N.Y.Z.
    Soul
    Aftermath
    CoD: Z

11. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Bringing back an old title, Silent Hill by Konami.

It was the first Silent Hill game I played and while it wouldn't be as scary as the console version, I didn't know what to expect and was freaking out since a nurse killed me from behind!

12. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    That might not have been clear. I'm a big reader myself, and star breed is one of my favorite games. But I have to assume most people dont like reading and add the disclaimer.

13. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    La papa sangre, o boy what a game. The price feels so cheap after you actually play it. Honestly it's great.

14. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I dunnooooo. I can get pretty scary when I start neglecting basic health for my games. :p
    No, but in all seriousness, Hysteria Project 2 just came out. It's like an interactive movie type thing. I haven't played it yet but I hear it's pretty jumpy.

15. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cover Orange is scary

16. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Lmao don't know if I can blame my iPod for that one...

17. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I try to put this in every thread I see that's asking for scary App Store games:

Prisoner 84.

The Mystique games are also scary, but Prisoner 84 is my personal "scariest game on the iPhone".

18. EyesAblaze

EyesAblaze Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    I heard cooking mama was pretty intense with all the cooking and chopping of assorted produce and meat... Sends the shivers down the spine!!

My choice would be dead space. The dead bodies on the ground deciding to get up and grap/rape you is hilarious and can give you a good jump.

19. Gamerl01

Gamerl01 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Cleaning restrooms at the local strip club
    Houston, Texas
    Soul gave me some scares. Dead Space scared the $H17 out of me. Hysteria 1 or 2 is pretty scary. N.Y.Z can give you some good scare

20. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    #20 Fujibayashi, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    +1. Prisoner 84 is often overlooked for some reason, but the situations you find yourself in and the way the baddies are hidden / pop out of seemingly nowhere (but in a more frightening and unexpected way than Dead Space) make it easily the scariest game on iOS. It's criminal that the game isn't more popular than it is.