Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: What is your Game of the Week for the week of March 6th?
Outland Games 4 4.30%
Dungeon Plunder 39 41.94%
Block Fortress 28 30.11%
LIBERATION MAIDEN 8 8.60%
Jones On Fire 3 3.23%
METAL SLUG X 4 4.30%
Sonic Dash 1 1.08%
Temple Run: Oz 2 2.15%
Cling! 3 3.23%
Blazing Souls Accelate 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Wait, we had a vote and now the people who were outvoted are sore losers? How could that be? That kind of thing never happens in America.
I'm not sore about anything, I've been playing International Snooker more than either of these games. Just pointing out two things; that Block Fortress will no doubt win the long game with a bigger fanbase and more sales, and Dungeon Plunder is ugly.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find nothing less attractive than blocky minecraft style graphics. Also, BF is paidmium while DP is an actual game that you can buy and have be a game that you own, so DP is intrinsically superior
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Sambobsung Sambobsung is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Narnia
Posts: 2,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find nothing less attractive than blocky minecraft style graphics. Also, BF is paidmium while DP is an actual game that you can buy and have be a game that you own, so DP is intrinsically superior
BF is not at all that. The IAP is just there, buying it won't make you feel superior or more epic, you just have that sense that you are stronger. Without IAP, you'll just find yourself playing a little more to get minerals. That's not including the said 'rare mineral' farming people can do.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambobsung View Post
BF is not at all that. The IAP is just there, buying it won't make you feel superior or more epic, you just have that sense that you are stronger. Without IAP, you'll just find yourself playing a little more to get minerals. That's not including the said 'rare mineral' farming people can do.
There's to much grey area with consumable IAP. Anymore I just consider anything with consumable IAP freemium/paidmium. If the developers haven't balanced the game to "encourage" additional spending, then they're not doing it right, and wasting their time adding such things into the game. They would also be 1 in a zillion. Maybe they are, and good for them, but the problem, as I said, is the grey area. People will say oh IAP is totally optional for games where it's strongly pushed. I just can't trust individual impressions anymore and am forced to categorize all games with consumables as freemium/paidmium. One way or another a game devoid of such nonsense, like Dungeon Plunder, is a breath of fresh air in today's AppStore.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find nothing less attractive than blocky minecraft style graphics. Also, BF is paidmium while DP is an actual game that you can buy and have be a game that you own, so DP is intrinsically superior
True, but if you ask me having the slightest clue about game design means actually getting your assets to match the resolution of the screen. That's like, preschool game development right there. I'm a big fan of pixel art, but if I want blurry graphics I'll play games from 20 feet away. And don't even get me started on the text.

Last edited by MidianGTX; 03-14-2013 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
True, but if you ask me having the slightest clue about game design means actually getting your assets to match the resolution of the screen. That's like, preschool game development right there. I'm a big fan of pixel art, but if I want blurry graphics I'll play games from 20 feet away. And don't even get me started on the text.
Are you referring to Dungeon Plunder? Granted I don't have an iPad but I've not heard one person or review mention blurry graphics. The developer seems proud of the retina optimization and responsive so I am sure would address that concern if anyone were to bring it up.

Here's an iPad retina screenshot showing good image clarity with clean crisp text: http://www.dungeonplunder.com/misc/iPadRetina.png.

It may be you are just dissatisfied with the game and I respect that.

Last edited by undeadcow; 03-14-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM
LOOMfreek LOOMfreek is offline
Junior Member
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Dungeon Plunder
Blazing Souls Accelate
Sonic Dash
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent