Have Rovio stuffed ads into the paid versions of Angry Birds?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MidianGTX, Jun 21, 2011.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not looking for a discussion on whether or not you like the game, just after info on this subject please :)

I was thinking about picking up Rio and Seasons for something to mindlessly play while I watch TV, but there are a ton of reviews on the UK store complaining about advertisments in the updates.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I haven't seen any...

3. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    #3 injuwarrior, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    On the pause screen in levels, in unused screen area. Hardly noticeable.
    Edit: Ads I've seen have been for other angry birds games, and the Movie Rio. But how much time do you spend in the pause screen anyway? Doesn't EA do adds in a lot of their game's home menus too now? As long as it is not in the gameplay I am fine with it.

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Uh... can't copy and paste... here, the reviews are a few months old but it's the latest version of Seasons:

[​IMG]

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    From what I've seen from my wife's angry birds (she has all 3), I think the ad is in the pause screen... Don't know if there's ads in other places though... I don't think its that distracting, but I guess it woulda been nicer without the ads..

6. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Turn off the wifi can't make it through? Hate Ads the pretty annoying thing mad me to turn off the wifi time to time.

7. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    You dodged a bullet there... But I do believe it's only on the pause.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I saw you coming bro ;)

9. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Wow. I can't believe people rage over ads in a pause menu. I wonder if they rage when they see ads on the side of the road.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not the same in my opinion. I've come to accept that as soon as I step outside of my house (or in some instances while inside: TV, radio, internet...) I'm going to get advertised at. Games used to be one of the few places you could be free of all that. Obviously free apps need some source of revenue so I'll let them slide, but when I've paid I'd prefer not to see any. In this case though it seems fairly well implemented and restricted to Rovio's own wares, so I doubt it'd bother me as much as something like iAd would if that started popping up everytime I flung a bird.

11. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I dunno. It just seems silly to me that people get upset over ads that are in no way impeding their enjoyment of the game. It's the pause menu. What do you want to see in there? I understand how it would bother someone if the ad were to be obtrusive in that it appeared during gameplay and somehow hampered your ability to play. But that isn't the case. Mind you, I'm not defending Angry Birds per se, I don't love the game but I'm also not one of those people who hates on it... I just don't see the harm in them advertising their own products in the pause menu.

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It certainly hasn't bothered me enough to prevent me from buying them, I just picked up both Seasons and Rio. I guess it's just a feeling of cheapness, the devs are still after money even though I've just given it to them? Also I'm big on graphic design and ads for other companies usually don't match the game's theme or UI making the whole thing look kinda messy. It's done quite well here though so I wouldn't rate the game down because of it.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I can notice the ads clearly, but they're not that bad and it's not like they're on of those Tap Zoo ads or google ads, they're just Rovio's own ads for people to expand they're AB collection. I guess. But when I play a game I always turn off Wi-Fi unless it's multiplayer game.

14. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I dislike them if you pay for a full version of something there should be no ads anywhere I especially dislike these ones because they are advertising apps that are already on my iPod so in effect pointless. I think UK users like myself are a lot less tolerable of ads than in the USA and yes a lot of apps do get really bad reviews for this type of thing.

I was quite pleased a few days ago when I noticed the justin.tv app had removed them and I've actually used it far more since then.

15. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    For me so far, there has always been a few second delay regardless of my internet connection speed, so if you jump in to the pause menu to restart a level and get out in a second or two, you will never see an add. Seemed intentional to me.

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ads of any sort cheapen the game. Everything in the game adds to experience. Pause menu, UI - everything matters. When I have ads for plush toys or other games in the game I am playing littering the UI, I feel like the game is inferior. It feels like the devs have no respect for their own work.
    Yes, I think rovio has grown too big and they are trying to sqeese all they can out of this series. Though I like the game and bought Rio as well, I am more than a bit disappointed by their "design decisions".

17. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Initially it's a couple of seconds but once ads load - they appear instantly when you press "pause".

18. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I paid $1.19 for Angry Birds. I did not pay to get advertised.

19. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Umm you mean to have adverts. :p

Yeh but these are tiny adverts that do not effect the gameplay so why does it matter. The game is worth allot more that $1.19

20. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's all a matter of taste and tolerance of ads. Bloody game advertises slippers now. SLIPPERS! What happened to a game designed to entertain? Why would we accept a paid game being used to shove ads down our throats. It's in bad taste. The biggest excuse devs have is "app store is competitive". Yes, it is. Not my problem! if I paid for an app I should not have to expect ads in it. Period.

Damn, conversations about ads in games never fail to piss me off. :)