I Don't Understand Mobile Fighters

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by nodoctors, May 11, 2017.

1. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Not sure how lively the community is these days, but Street Fighter IV Volt had true online multiplayer. And true actual fighting and none of this tap tap swipe nonsense where you grind your way to victory instead of using actual skill.

2. Opiate

Opiate Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2015
    That sounds right up my alley lol I'm sure there's a reason for it but I don't see the appeal to fighting other people's characters instead of actually fighting other people - defeats the purpose of multplayer and even if you do rise in the leaderboards, who really cares cause you were just fighting computers the whole time lol. Sorry rants over.

3. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #3 nodoctors, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Many games on the mobile front are mostly about making you feel good without you putting in any effort whatsoever. It's particularly a shame with fighting games, though, because it would be nice to have a new one with live pvp that wasn't just about tapping the screen and grinding how much health you have/how much damage your punch does. Somewhat of a bastardization of an inherently competitive genre.

Games like Transformers Forged and Injustice actually have very little to do with fighting games, and are more about tapping the screen and looking at beautiful graphics while being tied to some sort of RNG grind system which is a nightmare of insanity. As far as the gameplay goes, you might as well be staring at numbers running into each other while you tap the screen.

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It is painfully obvious that you have never played any of these games for any significant amount of time. Nothing is more of a dead giveaway than "All you do is tap!"

5. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    #5 nodoctors, May 11, 2017
    Couldn't be further from the truth. Cleared the campaigns for Skullgirls(which may have been too generous in combination with not having enough content), Transformers, and Blazblue. Play something like Street Fighter for perspective on this. I am a huge fan of the genre and unfortunately have to take what I can get.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Lmao, "play something like Street Fighter." I have been playing Street Fighter for 25 years. These games are neat because they capture aspects of traditional fighting games like timing and anticipation and smart special move usage. They are super strategic. You can in no way just "tap tap tap" your way through these games.

7. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Yeah, not gonna sit here and listen to a self proclaimed street fighter of 25 years tell me that these are literally SUPER strategic games. Let me tell you my secret sauce to destroying these games. I find the optimal damage combo for a character and then hold block once I've done it, waiting to take advantage of the AI's scripted retaliation. I'm assuming that you're still actively playing Street Fighter, care to share your CFN?

8. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    I don't know what it is with fighting games on mobile it seems that you look at some nice graphics and once in a while you push a button and they perform a flashy move where is the steering button to move your character so you have the feeling that you are the one that fights instead of the automatic pilot it's a pity that Capcom doesn't update their Street Fighter games anymore because they had some real nice fighting games in the AppStore.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not interested in having a dick waving contest and I don't play SFV. I have been playing fighting games since the original SFII, own a huge collection of them for a variety of systems. It is my favorite genre right behind platformers. If you are a super leet pro then congratulations. But the point still stands: These games are not able to be completed with mindless tapping, there is actual strategy involved. But hey, don't let me get in the way of your public display of ignorance.

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #10 Leegames, May 11, 2017
    Completely agree. Saying these games are just tap, tap, tap is like saying all you do in Street Fighter is hit x and up on the pad. Some people surely do that and we often call them button mashers for that deed. Same goes for these kind of games: If you just tap, tap, tap then you are doing it wrong. :)

What I miss is real time fighting, but for a touch system this is a smart way to get the timing and anticipation part of fighting games right without having control issues.

But honestly your reaction to Boardumb's comment make me think that the headline should be named "I don't want to understand mobile fighters". They are no match for a pad or stick based fighter, but they are definitely more than just random or fast tapping for the reasons Boardumb gave.

11. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    I have to admit, much as I've tried, I just can't really get into mobile fighters. Not with touch screen controls at least. Even when there are proper fighting games like Street Fighter or KOF.

That's probably more a failing of mine to be fair, I started my fighting game career some 30 odd years ago on the Spectrum, yes I'm a dinosaur :p So I'm just too used to the tactility of keyboards/joysticks/joypads. I dare say there's a generation of gamers growing up now who can perform complex, multi-finger combos without looking at the screen.

Me? I just end up hitting the wrong bit and performing a kick instead of a punch :D I like my touchscreen games to be fairly simple in nature. Or I have to whip out my bluetooth controller.
    But to be honest, beyond certain game types I much prefer to use one of my dedicated gaming portables. My iPhone gaming mostly consists of short burst puzzle gaming.

12. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Street Fighter type stuff was always a mystery to me. Got the impression they took years of practice and that seems confirmed by some previous comments. Recently downloaded Warner Bros King Arthur, not expecting it to be a fighter, and found it interesting. Liked the taps and swipes rather than thumb buttons. Now I'm learning Shadow Fight 2 and impressed by fluidity of movement. Guess I'll have to try Injustice as well, though the reviews here are not so hot.

13. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    This post truly reflects my thoughts.
    Fighting games on mobiles (touchscreens) are "dumbified" to tap, swipe and pretty much little else. It's like saying an autorunner like Supermario run is a platformer. No it is not, because the mechanics are so "dumbed" down that you just tap the screen. Sure you need to time your tapping, but what else? where is the "active" exploration in that? ok you jump this and that way and thus you explore more to the left or right... but it feels empty.
    Ilike games like Infinity Blade, but after a while I start getting nauseated, because the mechanics are always the same, swipe, tap, blah blah blah.
    I have yet to play a good fighting game on my IPAD because of this (not really tru GO CHECK OUT Thirteen Souls, still not a pure Beat'em up like SF or MK).
    But I would really like for a SF, MK or MvsC beat'em up on my IPAD, why does no one make that?!? Or am I missing something? (I dislike KoF and I know I will be crucified, but I simply like more "fantasy" options) Why is everyone so afraid of putting up a virtual stick and some virtual buttons on the screen?

14. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I guess I'm the complete opposite of you. I simply can't decide which mobile fighter to stick to as there's so many good ones, like Smash Club, Injustice 2, Transformes, and Skullgirls, which all recently released. Same goes for me with mobile shooters. The RNG grind systems are due to people being more inclined to pay for IAPs than buying a 4.99 game. It's simply more successful.

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    We juz got King of Fighters Online after the stockade of their classic Fighter catalog. ? if Skullgirls later add their OriGinal after this iOS game? Super Golden Stoked if that happens