In-app purchase - Same content, different prices, possible?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DomAjean, Nov 22, 2012.

1. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    #1 DomAjean, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Hello,

We are about to release our next update for the game Fruity Jelly and it is the first time we will integrate an in-app purchase.

Is it possible to have several IAPs with the same content but only the price on each of them would be different?

It would be a ''pay what you want'' kind of thing.

Thanks for your further help.

*Update 22/01/13*

Apple accepted the Pay what you want plan for our VIP pack. The update is now available on the appstore.

[​IMG]You can follow us on our facebook or twitter if you want the latest news on the development.

2. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    That would be easy to set up. You'd just have to set it up so your content unlocked checking for any one of multiple IAP possible purchases. Or if you had a virtual currency, just allow the user to alter the price before you deduct the coins.

3. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Is it allowed by Apple to have multiple in app purchases with the same content in them?

4. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    #4 DomAjean, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    Perhaps I will try to explain better myself. :p

There is a new world on the map(the pink one) and when you click on it, you are brought to this new store for the VIP pack that contains a new world, a wallpaper and 2 new jelly skins.

[​IMG]

When you click on it:

[​IMG]

And then, here's the ''Pay what you want'' part:

[​IMG]

We would want to know what you think about this whole idea? I personally never saw that in a game before, and I am wondering if it is because it is not allowed by Apple? Any advice would be really appreciated since it is the first time we will integrate an in-app purchase in our game.

Let us know what are your thoughts on that strategy :)

Dominic

5. Worth a try, kind of humourous, so why not?

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    You are relying on non-existent generosity
    Best to just charge what seems fair and wait for people to buy.
    For reference look at how bad punch quest was at making money
    (I'm not a developer but as a player I can see this won't work also the game looks good Release date? )

7. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    #7 DomAjean, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    Hi Connector and Dannytheelite!

Thanks to you guys for your answers.

It is true that the ios market is not the most generous one lol. But as long as people pay at least 0.99$ for the VIP Pack, it is not that bad...no?

Also the game is already available on the appstore and it's free :) But the VIP pack is not out yet!

You can download the game here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fruity-jelly/id453731825?mt=8

Enjoy :D

8. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    I wouldn't say such generosity is non existent. There are some games that have generated revenue from 99c "Thank the developers" IAP, and with other content we sell under a pay-what-you-want model somewhere around 3-5% will pay more than the price floor.

As long as you *expect* to only convert at the lowest available option and it doesn't require much in terms of implementation time, then I can't see that it would hurt to try.

9. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    Hello!

Thanks for the clarifications. Alright, then we will continue with that strategy. The only question remaining is the different prices.

For the moment we have 0.99$, 1.99$, 2.99$ and 3.99$. We are wondering if we should put higher numbers on the 2 last ones?

Thanks again for all your answers guys. If you are interested by our game development, don't forget to show us some love on our facebook or twitter

Dominic

10. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    I think this is a fantastic idea!

It would not make your users mad for making the game IAP, since really it is just a dollar (I think). But for some people who really love the game, and aren't cheap, they would donate because they love the game and are willing to donate because they want the game to develop and prosper.

11. mkpred

mkpred Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Working at Sites
    Cyber Town
    Yeah but the dev should forecast his budget and all that stuff with the base price of iap as mentioned earlier there arent many who will be too generous.

12. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    So what I should understand is that maybe the base price could be different than the actual one which is 0.99?

Would it be too risky to put that price at 1.99?

13. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I would pay that much but it would be risky
    Look at ab : sw the extra levels cost 1.99 and they don't sell a lot of them

14. DomAjean

Aug 25, 2011
    Hello everyone!

The update is coming out tomorrow! Apple accepted the Pay-What-You-Want model with the VIP Pack. :D

You can follow us on our fb page at: http://www.facebook.com/scorsoft

Thank you!

[​IMG]