Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM
iPhone 5

3 Sets of 25 levels. Here is a pic from level 1 / 9 you can only zap the same colour slugs, zap them all to pass, get three stars to complete it 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (154.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Beyond the comparisons to Pudding Monster, this game is actually pretty good. The isometric view is similar to PM and the graphics are certainly inspired by it, but it actually looks way way better than PM. It has a dumb premise, but the puzzles are fun.

The fact that it looks somewhat like PM doesn't bother me. I could list a bunch of games that are certainly similar to each other, but ultimately it's the gameplay that matters. And I for one am glad I picked this up. It's great.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Seems like the latest comments seem pretty good about this game.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Touch Arcade forumsí Game of the Week

Link the Slug was successfully nominated for voting in contest for the Touch Arcade forumsí Game of the Week. Voting will occur over the following 3 days at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own games. New user votes will be subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2957721
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Having now finished the entire game with all stars, I can categorically say that this game is not Pudding Monsters. Though the art style may be similar, I think we should exercise extreme caution when making such direct or indirect claims, as it may be unfair against the game's developer (unless the developer said that the game was indeed inspired from it) to do so.

In many ways, I actually think the puzzles in Link The Slug are far superior to the puzzles in Pudding Monsters. There are more mechanics. Except for the transporter in Pudding Monster, the different tower powers in this game are more versatile.

I am also impressed by the developer's restraint to keep the puzzles relatively easy to solve and to make puzzles to have elegant (rather than tedious) solutions. With the later mechanics, I can see that it is possible to make some puzzles ridiculously difficult to solve without being fun by forcing the player to make numerous trial and error. Instead, the puzzles in this game are carefully crafted so that you can see that there are a couple of critical moves which you must make to solve it and then work out the solution around these critical moves. For example, since all slugs need to pair up, you must always keep an even number of slugs of the same color. This simple rule allows you to determine which slugs need to be swapped colors at some point in order to solve the puzzles.

One issue I have, however, that puzzled me about the game's design is the "multiple" solutions or "optimal" solution path. For many levels, it is clear that many solutions exist. In some levels, I am able to solve the puzzles WITHOUT using ALL of the power towers, such as the swappers or colored flasks. This implies that they are redundant. Is there an optimal solution to each puzzle? If so, how to determine it? Why are there these extra power towers that are not needed?

Lastly, one odd glitch in the game's logic has to do with the lightning path that is automatically chosen by the game. In some cases, when two lightning paths are present, the game may sometimes preferentially choose a path that subsequently renders an otherwise working solution impossible. This can occur when one path has a flask or swapper and the other path has neither. For example, a level could be solved if the slugs in those situations would just disappear after being matched. But instead, the game's logic forced the slugs to change color or be swapped with each other, thus rendering the intended solution impossible to execute. In those rare cases, the game needs to give the player a choice of which path to use.

Overall, this is a fantastic game. Must buy for puzzle fan.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 09-05-2013 at 02:14 PM..