★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolicMike View Post
I need new pants. I need new pants omg I thought it was gonna be a shitty week. My pants are stuck to my leg hair..... I need new paaaants
Not a pretty visual on this one.
01-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodiac View Post
Its a good game but all the praise for this game is mainly coming for the nostalgia, as a lot of people loved this game when they were kids playing it on their PC
Utterly untrue. This was the best fantasy turn-based strategy out there and for me, still is.
HoMM 5 comes very close but this is something different:

Diverse and unique units and their upgraded forms(most had a unique special ability) for each of the 8 completely different factions (1 more added with Armageddon's Blade), interesting hand-drawn graphic style(the cities were particularly charming), very tactical and genre defining gameplay, from small clashes against isolated groups of monsters scatteted around the map to large battles against enemy heroes and castle sieges, resource management(and of course the race for them!), gorgeous maps with something to do every inch and one of the best classic fantasy soundtracks.

LAN and Hotseat multiplayer were even more fantastic. I think I played nearly all the fantasy strategy games of the last 3 decades and apart from HoMM 5 nothing had the flavour this game had.

I don't have an IPad and can't verify the faithfulness of the port, but I recommend it eyes closed to who like classic fantasy, tactical and deep gameplay and board games.

Last edited by Praymettin; 01-31-2015 at 07:49 AM.

01-29-2015, 09:39 AM
The PC game was great and I did spend s ton of time on it. I find that although I've bought several of the top tier ipad games when they first come out that I just don't find the time to play them. I will probably wait for the sale on this one as I likely wouldn't play it much before that point anyway.
01-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Will be keen to buy this game...once there are impressions and some reviews to confirm it runs reasonably well and not a bug fest.
01-29-2015, 09:52 AM
"7 exciting campaign scenarios"

Was this in the original game too?

for some reason I remember a lot more..
7 maps isn't much.
Unless 1 campaign is several maps ??
01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
I remember this.
01-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomowl View Post
Any complain like the control problem or?
There are some minor interface glitches. One in particular makes melee attacking with large creatures a bit tricky. It plays quite well, though. I've had a review copy for about a week and only had 2 crashes in about 10 hours of play. The only real bummers are the lack of online or LAN multiplayer, and the inability to import user-created maps.
01-29-2015, 10:08 AM
The tiny graphics for an iPad just ruin this for me.
01-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
"7 exciting campaign scenarios"

Was this in the original game too?

for some reason I remember a lot more..
7 maps isn't much.
Unless 1 campaign is several maps ??
Yes 7 campaigns...there are several maps in each campaign. I think this should be many many hours of gameplay. My favorite is the offline play. I can finally have a reason to take my iPad everywhere I go! The battle interface is a little odd at first because of the long tap for melee but you get used to it after a couple attacks. I keep trying to hit the space bar or enter bar for continued movement after the day has changed hahaha

All in all I like it so far. I'm about to complete the first map on the first campaign, but it sure does bring back some memories of the coutless hours I would spend in my youth playing this game. I played 1 and 2 and was awed but when 3 came out I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY at the time. Stuff in this game for ME hadn't been done like this before. It was an eye opener at that age. Now of course if your looking for a Graphical Blowout like some games nowadays can be then you'll be sorely disappointed. Just remember this is a remake of a game from I think 15 years ago so the graphics are on par for that day and age. This is more of a nostalgia trip to play a game I sank alot of my youth into again as an adult without having to lug my whole PC around. I'll take it and I paid the 9.99 gladly once again for the fact that I can play this wherever I want.

As for expansions on this I think they'll figure something out once they get the feel for how well this game does. I think there is PLENTY of content in this as is to keep you going for well over 100 hours.

Lastly what's you guys playstyles? Do you have one BADASS champ that goes and clears the world and amasses an ENORMOUS ARMY or do you spread it out over multiple champs and take it over quickly? Me I like the massive army playstyle where my archers sitting at stupid numbers can take out whole stacks of monsters with one shot...maybe that's just me

If we could harvest human stupidity to run our electricity, and our cars, the world would see a new era of clean, renewable energy. That's an amazing resource we're wasting.
01-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praymettin View Post
Utterly untrue. This was the best fantasy turn-based strategy out there and for me, still is.
HoMM 5 comes very close but this is something different:

Diverse and unique units and their upgraded forms(most had a unique special ability) for each of the 7 completely different factions (2 more were added with Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death), interesting hand-drawn graphic style(the cities were particularly charming), very tactical and genre defining gameplay, from small clashes against isolated groups of monsters scatteted around the map to large battles against enemy heroes and castle sieges, resource management(and of course the race for them!), gorgeous maps with something to do every inch and one of the best classic fantasy soundtracks.

LAN and Hotseat multiplayer were even more fantastic. I think I played nearly all the fantasy strategy games of the last 3 decades and apart from HoMM 5 nothing had the flavour this game had.

I don't have an IPad and can't verify the faithfulness of the port, but I recommend it eyes closed to who like classic fantasy, tactical and deep gameplay and board games.
This...

Plus, (for those who have never played it) it's unbelievably well-balanced. 8 factions, all with unique monsters that have unique abilities, and all 8 are winnable with good gameplay. I agree that 5 was pretty good too, but it always ran like a dog for me, and I hated that they nerfed the tier 7 monsters.