Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Does the "nagging" really, honestly work on anyone? I mean really, has anybody here at all ever purchased something because they were being nagged? It has the opposite effect on me personally; it becomes a strong deterrent. I'm fairly sure that's a reaction based on basic human nature: do you go faster because some asshole is tailgating you on the freeway or slow down, if anything, more, to piss him off?

2. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    #82 jeffy777, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    I dunno.....but like I said, I think we're lucky to be able to try the tables at all before buying, so I guess to me it seems like a petty thing to complain about....and if someone is going to play the tables often enough that the nag thing would bug them, then they may as way shell out the buck or two just to buy the tables.....they're dirt cheap if you think about actually having a replica of these real machines in your pocket. Even 10 bucks a table would be a steal.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Can't wait! Two hours to go here.

4. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    hope to test this out tonight. I BETTER SEE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET IN THE NEAR FUTURE. :)

5. jalpert

jalpert Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    The free app isn't there so that you can play for free while they bug the crap out of you. The point of the free app is to give you enough so that you can make an informed purchasing decision.

If you play it enough to get annoyed by the nagging, you have grown out of the free version.

6. Porkdish

Porkdish Active Member

May 31, 2011
    Its a real shame, the black hole has a lot of character in the console preview video and I was dead keen to buy it.

I tried it out first though (on the iPad 2) and its flood lit (wtf!?) with low res textures. The iPad 2 is capable of more than that. Its a real shame.

Just look how beautiful it is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgV8VauGtZg

I'm not saying the ipad2 can knock out equivalent graphics but better than what showed up.

I think I'll just get this for my mac and hope an ipad 2 optimised update shows up.

7. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I was annoyed by it the first time it happened.

8. jalpert

Nov 26, 2008
    Have a beer, try again. Rinse and repeat until you aren't annoyed anymore.

9. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    That does look a lot better. And I agree with you. I don't care all that much about the extra effects, but the low res textures are much harder to swallow and as per my comments above really interfere with the gameplay itself.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Sounds good to me so long as you're buying. :p

11. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I agree. It would be nice to see higher res textures especially on iPad 2. I asked them about this awhile back and they said right now the only difference between the iPad 1 and 2 versions is that the iPad 2 versions has more anti-aliasing.

12. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Instant buy Theatre of Magic. I'll probably buy the other two just to support you guys even though I'm not fans of those pins. Looking forward to Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars!

13. jalpert

Nov 26, 2008
    RBION is a fantasic table. Check this out:

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Just had a quick play of Arabian Knights on the iphone4. Looks and plays great afaic. Obviously when the view is pulled back the distant stuff gets a bit difficult to distinguish, but I don't see any real way around that on a 2.5 inch screen. Just unlocking all the tables on the Ipad2 now...$8.99 cdn for the full unlock.

15. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

AHHH! This frigging game doesn't warn you about the prices or anything when you click on the "play" button of a table it just asks for your iTunes password! I purchased the 4 table pack on the iPad and I'm fairly certain I've just purchased two of the individual table packs on the iPhone.

16. Gusnyc

Gusnyc New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    US store?

When is this game going to be available in the US store? I've been searching for it but I can't find it!

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Use the direct link at the top of the thread.

Just played a couple of games of TotAN (never played it before). I liked it. Did decent on my second game for having no clue what I'm doing (broke 11 mil). To me, it looks great on ipad2. However, I use the locked camera, so I'm not right up on the playfield like you guys isn't be if using the moving one.

Physics feel good, but soooo different from something like Zen. It has been too long since I played a real table.

18. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I really pissed-off and angry pinball fan in highschool rant:

Why the heck does the ball keep traveling down the outlane!????????

End of rant.
    ================
    Begin of civilized discussion:

Any tips to avoid the outlane-of-death?

Also, I find it hard to nudge, with 'touch' and shake controls (I've been spoiled by Gameprom). Anyone care to explain how to nudge in this game?

19. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Got 1.4b on my second play of ToM. Love this game and can't wait for more tables. Downloading a free Ripley's to see if it hooks me.

Man there are at least a dozen insta-buy pins if they make it. I wonder how often Farsight plans on releasing new tables.

20. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Can't seem to log in to facebook on the ipad2.

Really enjoying the tables though...