Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Bloodangel Bloodangel is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematrixx View Post
In my opinion games like "Bulge" or "Battle Academy" do the IAP correctly...that is for a fair price you actually get a very good game and IAP is only should you wish additional scenarios or content. Not the stupid "gold coins" that is intended to be a cash cow and permits the buyer to cheat! I did download this game to see how it is and $2.00 to remove the ads..ok..but then to buy coins! Not a chance! I make a habit of boycotting such scamming marketing.
BTW...some of you may think Battle Academy is expensive but with all the content included plus many players have contributed free scenarios this one is how a war game should be done...just sayin

What's battle academy? Is it iPhone?
Wish bulge was on iPhone
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Royce Royce is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
What's battle academy? Is it iPhone?
Also iPad only unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 AM
vogelmann vogelmann is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
What's battle academy? Is it iPhone?
Wish bulge was on iPhone
Just take a look in the Bulge-thread: it is coming to the iPhone soon!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Bloodangel Bloodangel is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelmann View Post
Just take a look in the Bulge-thread: it is coming to the iPhone soon!

Awesome! Thanks for info
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Major Gnarl Major Gnarl is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan01 View Post
Played for a bit. Many actions during game cost in-game-currency such as repairing and re supplying, as well as entrenching. My impressions while playing is that not enough in-game currency is rewarded to offset the survivability cost and that IAP will be required to advance through harder levels. This type of mechanics turn me off and I decided not to pursue the game further. Maybe other players will have a differant insight delving further into the game.
Thanks for this! Will avoid this game then...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM
SwordBytes SwordBytes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks for updates guys.

Avoided too.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM
pipja pipja is offline
Junior Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8
Default

In this game you simply will not be able to win and earn enough in game currency to progress. Each shot cost around 100 gold, takes roughly 3 shots to kill one enemy which only give you 100 to 150 gold. You are always running a deficit
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM
HG VAMPIRE HG VAMPIRE is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Default

The game can be played without IAP. You can refuel the tanks with your trucks or directly at your base (for free as long resources are in the base). Its displayed how to do it in the tutorial. I finished the whole game without spending any cash. Its for sure not a simple casual title.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Thygrrr Thygrrr is offline
Member
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Giebelstadt, Germany
Posts: 31
Send a message via Skype™ to Thygrrr
Default

Hey, just wanted to chime in. Thanks for the honest feedback, as always.

Some game tips from us developers:
You can use the supply depots and supply trucks to get cheap supplies to the front, but it requires micromanagement and proper fortification and staggering of your front line lest the enemy gets a chance to take out your precious supply trucks.

Instant Supply is a convenience / emergency option you should use if you have plenty of cash reserves or need to push through a bottleneck at all costs.

Proper timing / series of attack orders can save you lots of expensive ammo and repairs. Think 'cannon fodder' and 'decoy attacks'. An enemy unit only has one chance of opportunistic return fire per turn.

You can win the game without any IAP, but you have to be good (but nowhere close to godlike). Micromanaging your supply routes requires tactical thinking and situational awareness, in particular when deciding whether to supply your infantry, artillery, bunkers or tanks depending on the threats you are facing.

Sometimes it is a good choice to fall back and dig in around a supply depot. The AI avoids hopeless assaults against strong positions in most missions.

If the AI has scouted your position, you should absolutely move and change the composition of your force there to your advantage because the AI will send a platoon based on what they saw.

Intelligence and using the terrain to your advantage are crucial in this game. Mountains give you excellent view of the surrounding areas, while forests and cities provide both visual and ballistic cover.

Aircraft can provide a time limited birds eye view of the battlefield and are excellent spotters for artillery or katyushas.

Use camouflage to hide your units from the enemy, both for ambushes or to buy them extra time until your reinforcements arrive.


A personal remark at the end:
If the ads are unacceptable, you can remove them for 2 USD. BotB was like 10 USD with just two variants of one scenario at launch, 1941 Frozen Front ships for free with three campaigns plus tutorial, and more content is underway. The games should not be compared directly, though, as BotB tries to be historically accurate and 1941 Frozen Front focuses on accessibility and tactics.

Last edited by Thygrrr; 07-12-2013 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
iPadisGreat iPadisGreat is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thygrrr View Post
Hey, just wanted to chime in. Thanks for the honest feedback, as always.

Some game tips from us developers:
You can use the supply depots and supply trucks to get cheap supplies to the front, but it requires micromanagement and proper fortification and staggering of your front line lest the enemy gets a chance to take out your precious supply trucks.

Instant Supply is a convenience / emergency option you should use if you have plenty of cash reserves or need to push through a bottleneck at all costs.

Proper timing / series of attack orders can save you lots of expensive ammo and repairs. Think 'cannon fodder' and 'decoy attacks'. An enemy unit only has one chance of opportunistic return fire per turn.

You can win the game without any IAP, but you have to be good (but nowhere close to godlike). Micromanaging your supply routes requires tactical thinking and situational awareness, in particular when deciding whether to supply your infantry, artillery, bunkers or tanks depending on the threats you are facing.

Sometimes it is a good choice to fall back and dig in around a supply depot. The AI avoids hopeless assaults against strong positions in most missions.

If the AI has scouted your position, you should absolutely move and change the composition of your force there to your advantage because the AI will send a platoon based on what they saw.

Intelligence and using the terrain to your advantage are crucial in this game. Mountains give you excellent view of the surrounding areas, while forests and cities provide both visual and ballistic cover.

Aircraft can provide a time limited birds eye view of the battlefield and are excellent spotters for artillery or katyushas.

Use camouflage to hide your units from the enemy, both for ambushes or to buy them extra time until your reinforcements arrive.


A personal remark at the end:
If the ads are unacceptable, you can remove them for 2 USD. BotB was like 10 USD with just two variants of one scenario at launch, 1941 Frozen Front ships for free with three campaigns plus tutorial, and more content is underway. The games should not be compared directly, though, as BotB tries to be historically accurate and 1941 Frozen Front focuses on accessibility and tactics.
Are you considering a premium $9.99 release for Frozen Front that is tweaked to remove IAP?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent