Games that use accelerometer for "mouselook?"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by smasher, Oct 28, 2009.

1. smasher

smasher Active Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I'm vetting an idea for a new game, and I'm interested in checking out other games that use the accelerometer to look around in a 3d space- similar to touchfighter.

Anyone know other games that use the accelerometer / tilt in this "mouselook" manner?

2. hackdirt

hackdirt Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Game Dev
    New Zealand
    Doom Resurrection does, but I hated it. Just my personal opinion, but I think "mouselook" with the accelerometer sucks. Maybe I'm just terrible at using it, but I found it very hard to get accuracy with it.

I much prefer the tap-drag mouselook that Gameloft use - see Modern Combat.

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#3 Will090, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    Aves
    Most Sniper Games (IE Sniper vs Sniper, iHunt, iSnper, etc)
    FAST and other Flight Games (Do those count?)

4. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    #4 Dark_Messenger, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    Wolfenstein uses it for strafing/walking if you want. I hated it though. Overall im not impressed with the iphones tilt-capabilitys. Or maybe is it just bad programming from the devs?

Oh and wolfenstein RPG uses it for sniping which is pretty much the only fun part in that game.

5. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Personnally I loved Doom Resurrection's controls. There was a very organic feel to aiming and shooting. It's not an fps, but it captured the feel of intense fps firefights amazingly.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The thing is that there's a lag between tilting the device and actually seeing the change on the screen. It makes it go from organic to just plain annoying.

7. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Eh? Not really. At least on 3GS.

8. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Man i want your phone cuz mine must obviusly be broken then. Yes there is delay just like he says but it seems to hevily relay on the coder of the app. Ive seen horrible unplayable examples and i have seen some good with nearly no lag at all.

9. smasher

smasher Active Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Bingo - the data from the accelerometer is very noisy; if you use it raw then the view jumps around like crazy. One way to deal with that is to set a noise floor, but then the movement becomes "blocky." You can also average a bunch of samples together, but if you overdo it then it feels like you're underwater.

I have some ideas on how to work around the limitations, I just want to check out the competition. Thanks everybody.

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Check out the games Ghost Buddy and 3D Rollercoaster (iirc).

They both use the accelerometer for actual mouselook.

In the case of the rollercaster game, the devs had a demo (I don't know if it's up on the App Store, or if it's now been integrated into the game itself) for 3Gs using the digital compass that allowed true accelerometer "look" as if using it as a VR helmet. Hold the device up and you'd look at the sky. Turn completely around while holding the device irl and you'll look at what's "behind you" in the virtual landscape.

11. mariatamis

mariatamis New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Hey spiffyone,
    Thanks for Ghost Buddy,3D Roller-coaster that games are terribly good. i have played
    this game.i am also searching for this type of game.good help.

Thanks.