Working for royalties?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dhondon, Feb 13, 2010.

1. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    Hi!

Just wondering if any one has had an positive outcome (money) from working for royalties?

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    as the seller or as the partner waiting to get paid?

we developed a game for the iPhone early on in the Application Store lifecycle - we had a good partnership deal; effectively $3500 US upfront development and 33% royalties. we've received royalty payments - however, as sales die out; the value of putting in more effort dwindles. in this case; a friend developed the game; and i maintained it - we have released a number of updates to the game tho.

we didn't make a million dollars out of it tho - the partner distributing the game has probably; after 1 year - finally made enough profit from the game to cover the game design, artwork, audio and implementation costs. it is one of the grave realities of the app store tho.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#3 Syndicated Puzzles, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    dhondon,

The only two reasons a "good" developer should consider working on a royalty based project are ......

a) the idea for the app has incredible potential (huge upside)
    b) the developer has absolutely no creativity of his own

OR

Formulated as a simple question....

Why would someone build an app for someone else, with them having no $$$$ in the game? Build your own damn app! This is a wake up call!!!! As to developers trying this gimmick ........ Put your money where your mouth is! If your idea is as great as you think it is going to be, flash the money!

If you don't have any awesome ideas drop me a PM I can feed you some.

4. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Royalties tend not to work so well with app development, a large portion of applications fail to make back their investments, and furthermore it takes a long time before alot of these apps even break even. Working for royalties would be a bad move IMHO.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Unless, of course, it's a project you really believe in, and it has the right people behind it.

6. I would say that a developer probably should say "no" to any request to work for royalties.

With that said, I have for a few projects paid a musician / graphic artist with royalties. They've both been paid properly for their time at this point, despite none of the games they've worked on being huge hits. Actually I've found it's often cheaper just to pay up front than by royalties.

So overall, I'd say just pay or be paid for your time up front. Simpler and lowest risk.

7. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    for art we commissioned; we asked for what was fair - and, i sales worked out; the payment would be an advance for royalties if it did actually take of; allowing them to earn more. sometimes it works; sometimes it don't!

8. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    One downside to working for royalties is that the project could be dropped at any time, and your left empty handed.:(

9. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    then, be sure in your contract agreement - that you can, if this happens release the application and distribute it on your own. it is your investment too and you should ensure you protect it as much as you can.

10. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Are you for real or just joking? I would love to be fed some awesome ideas! :)

11. Will_Mobile_Pie

Will_Mobile_Pie Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Creative Producer @ Mobile Pie
    Bristol, UK
    It's something you've got to weigh up. If someone is coming to you with a heavyweight license and offering you a hefty upside on a simple to develop app you're in a position to fund, then go for it if you think you can do the numbers! Just be carefull you aren't left pissing in the wind if the project falls through their end halfway through development.

But if they're a major license holder why wouldn't they just commision you outright and retain full rights? Perhaps they can't predict numbers or clear the expenditure internally. It's worth asking that question to yourself or them.

If someone has an idea but no existing IP and wants you to build the app from scratch from your own pocket then why would you? An idea is essentially worthless, but I'm guessing this isn't the situation.

How about asking for an upfront or milestone delivered advance against royalties to fund or part fund the dev costs?