Paid combined with Freemium

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by argidev, Mar 28, 2013.

1. argidev

argidev Member

Oct 4, 2012
    We're considering porting Bounzy to iOS too, and we want to have a Paid and a Free version

But we were thinking of creating a combination of Paid with Freemium

After you buy the paid version, you'd have everything unlocked, so you have access to every feature the game has

But we were thinking we could also sell "Free Level Unlocks" and "Character Customization"

Neither of these would affect the gameplay or would give the players any kind of advantage.The Level Unlock would work like the Big Eagle in Angry Birds, and would simply allow you to move to the next level if you can't pass it.We'd also have different characters, that would be purely aesthetic

So, if these items don't really affect the gameplay, would the customers see it as a bad thing?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Speaking as a customer, who has read hundreds of opinions from other customers around these parts over the years, it's a very tricky one to get right. A lot of people feel that if they're paying a "premium" price, it should be a complete package with nothing left out. Level skipping isn't too bad, but something like consumable currency will ruffle some feathers.

Also, if there's already a freemium game out there similar to yours, you'll need something mighty impressive to make them favour your one.

3. Premium games with no consumables don't have lasting power unless they cross-promote, come from big publishers or get a New and Noteworthy.

I went a similar route of what you want to do with only aesthetics unlocks and you're basically just capping what you can earn from a player by doing so. That being said I disagree philosophically with having premium games with consumables (paidmium) but they perform so well that it's not a logical thought.

Check the Appannie grossing graphics of former games of the week from Touch Arcade (those that had no consumables, indie and no N&N) to see the kind of slide games experience after their first 2 weeks or so. It's cult of the new big time in the current App Store environment.

I'd suggest to go full freemium or paid with consumables. But you must get them in in some way if you want to earn a living out of your game unless you like ramen noodles ;)

4. HitStop

HitStop Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    iOS developer
    As a player, I do not mind the Mighty Eagle, aesthetic purchases or consumables, as long as the game is balanced to be enjoyable without them. Kingdom Rush went this route. But if playing the game is impractical without paying for things, I might just play something else.

Good luck with the game.

5. argidev

argidev Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Thanks guys, your answers were really helpful