Best camera to record videos of games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GamerOutfit, Jul 20, 2010.

1. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I'm looking for a well priced video camera that I can use to record videos of my games, any suggestions? The videos on this very site look great for example. I tried searching on camera, and record, but got back hundreds of hits about games and not videos of games. ;)

2. LonERecoN

LonERecoN Well-Known Member

I cannot really recommend a particular camera/camcorder. All I suggest is that you get a high MP with HD recording. Also invest in a tripod to hold the camera steady while you actually play your game. I've seen some really juddery gameplay videos where developers either think they have three hands or have tried to attach the camera to their head. Not good.

3. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Well if you want some really really nice quality you could go with something like a Canon Rebel T2i. I do photography as a hobby so my purchase wasn't just for recording game videos.

The best part about it is you get full control over focus and exposure, while many cheaper HD cams don't give you either.

Before that I had a Sanyo VPC HD100 which cost $150. I recorded this video with just that, a tripod and iMovie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R85gMYiyZs

The background was a window with direct sunlight so that is how I made the background white, unfortunately it also caused some bright reflections off of the chrome bezel. The hardest part of doing that video was keeping the camera in focus the whole time, it often liked to search for another focus point which got kind of annoying, but it still worked.

So my suggestion is an HD cam that lets you lock the focus and exposure, then your life will be easier.

Or you could just use iSimulate and Quicktime X's screen capture feature.

4. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Thanks for both of the comments. I actually have iShowHD but my Mac-Mini runs the iPad simulator too slowly. I'll look for a nice but inexpensive HD camera.

5. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension