Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Is iPad only a big deal?
Yes, it's a big deal to me. 7 30.43%
No, not that big of a deal to me. 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Don't game on a phone, fingers too big, screen too small.

So Ipad only is ok, but so is universal.

I can see how it can become a headache though (programming for universal I mean).
Ditto for me. In fact I get more upset when a game states that it is universal but is clearly designed with smaller screens in kind with no UI adjustments or control placement considerations made for iPad. I think that there should be several UI's built into a universal build, each catered to the device it is being used on. It seems developers assume that one control layout swirls well for all sizes when that is clearly not the case. I also think that developers don't take erogenomics into consideration into their UI's either. My thumb should have to move from it's holding position or stretch in order to reach a button, which it find a common problem with control layouts.

I'm rambling, but the short is that I understand iPad only apps. There are aome things that just benefit from the size that would require too much reworking to get it to effectively work on a smaller screen or worse would compromise the play experience by making it less than desirable (small text, too many GUI elements, too many hotspots to interact with on a small screen, etc)...
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

I actually play mainly on my iPad.

You might want to check out market research to see if there is a difference between iPad users and iPhone users. iOS users pay for more games than Android users, but do iPad users pay for more games than iPhone users too?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Every game is favorably played on the iPad 4 because of screen size and large gb. When buying universal I'm always in hopes the game was done right and will look and play on the iPad as well.
The Touch hardly gets used for games and although it is getting outdated I mainly just won't play on a smaller screen any longer even though I've tons of pre-iOS 7 games on it. Still, its very useful for weather, check book, calender reminders, password manager, etc so its still considered a trusted device to own.
So obviously biased, I wouldn't mind an iPad only game.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Thanks for all the feedback! Really helpful to see what different people think on the subject!!!

I for one play different kinds of games on different platforms. Whether its iPhone, iPad, PC, or console--each has its own vibe and fills a different role. I prefer PC when I really want to dive into a game--you know, turn off the lights, put headphones on, break open a 24 pack of Mountain Dew, and play a game for 3 or 4 hours. iPad is a lot more convenient than that and iPhone more convenient still. But there are still games I'll play on iPhone for extended periods of time--even when I'm just sitting at home. iPhone is just so handy--its so easy to just grab it and dive right into a game. And before you know it its been an hour and a half! I guess it really just depends on the game and even then it depends on the person.

Putting the game on iPad isn't a huge issue as I'm using Unity to make the game. With iPad I can more or less use a similar layout as the PC build. But with iPhone things will need to be redesigned quite a bit. Its an RPG that focuses on tactical combat. The game is designed to control like a steampunk airship--the UI is set up in a very specific way with lots of steapunky buttons, switches and levers. Because of this, reworking the UI is a little tricky. Also there's a lot going on on-screen and I wonder how well it would do on a smaller screen--like if players would be squinting to read stuff or if it'll be hard to accurately select stuff with everything squished down.

I'll see what can be done and I'll really aim to make this game universal. I want people to have the freedom to play on whatever platform they prefer. Hopefully the Kickstarter does well and I can get some funding to put into the iPhone version. Anyways--if this project interests you check out iqSoup.com or like us on FB for regular updates.

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
iPad (4th Gen)

Suits me just fine! Don't have an iPhone or iPod touch anymore, just my iPad, so I'm okay with it. My phone is a Note 3 which is Android.