Controller support? no thanks!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pete Martell, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    #61 Topherunhinged, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    I hope controllers don't stop games like Infinity Blade from being produced, those titles are fantastic with touch controls. It would be a total waste of iOS as a gaming platform; of course, I also don't want to see the controls of either type pointlessly shoehorned into titles, I'm looking right at you here Nintendo DS, so no Castlevania games with a stupid glyph drawing mechanic okay.

Of course, I'm sure this won't happen as I agree that controllers will be a niche among iOS gamers. Hopefully just a niche that many developers embrace by offering both touch based and controller based control schemes.

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    IMO it only provides more options for those looking to take advantage of them, and takes absolutely nothing away from the platform. A game like infinity blade was designed with touch controls in mind, so they wouldn't take away the touch screen stuff. I even doubt they'd add controller support, but if they did, it's a win/win.

3. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Actually, it has been proven that one can type faster on a keyboard than a touchscreen.

This is due to the scan rate of the touch sensors, which happen every frame, at 60 frames per second.

The scan rate of a USB keyboard is a lot faster than that. It is pure science that one can type faster on a USB keyboard than on any current touch screen device on the market. There is in fact a video proving that if you type too fast on a touch screen display it will sometimes not register certain keys.

If you type faster on an iPad, it is because you are simply faster at using a touch screen, not because a touch screen is "more efficient". It has everything to do with you, and nothing to do with iPads or keyboards.

4. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    That's my opinion and best case scenario as well but I also realize that games designed with precision and difficulty in mind aren't going to play well with touchscreen controls and that might upset some people and limit the market for those games.

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I completely agree with you on ALL COUNTS* and have only one thing to say to you.

Buy Pizza Boy. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pizza-boy/id389318128?mt=8

*except for Rocketcat games, which are technically platformers but are not mario-likes. In fact Rocketcat makes quite spectacular touch screen games, and their Hook series is a definite corner stone of iOS platforming.

6. Pete Martell

Pete Martell Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2014
    #66 Pete Martell, Feb 24, 2014
    Wasn't trolling, it was and still is a genuine question you are free to answer.

As for iOS gaming, it is pretty damn mainstream compared to other forms of gaming anyway. So agreed there, do not agree with your experience of touchscreen gaming though :p

But action, platformers etc work far better on an iPhone over iPad due to ergonomics, in my opinion and many others it works damn well perfect in fact.

7. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    I agree but on a small note I did play some games on DS just using stylus and having a great time including the Zelda phantom hourglass I think it was called.

8. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    DS games built around the stylus are great, like Kirby Canvas Rush(?), it's just too bad that there are so few.

9. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    #69 Pete Martell, Feb 24, 2014
    I type fast and do not notice a difference at all but I can see two things with this

A, I do not type fast enough to be affected

B, those that do would benefit from a USB keyboard

So, I believe you :)

I guess it just doesn't matter to me, same as for others who are fine making the trade off in mobility etc using a small laptop vs a desktop even if they are authors and journalists etc making a living on it.

10. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    Yeah it was great, thankfully we got iOS devices now doing all that and more. My last Nintendo handheld I bet, the 3DS did not feel good to me when I had the chance to try it.

11. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Once it comes time to upgrade my PC, I'm actually going to give up my laptop and build a new desktop because of the iPad; it coupled with a keyboard-case covers all my mobile needs.

12. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    Join the master race :)

As for gaming, the 2 best platforms has to be iOS+Steam

To me everything else has lost my interest, possibly forever.

13. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    I never left the master race. My laptop is high-end and PC will always be my favorite and primary gaming platform and I've got a twenty year backlog that I'm still working through.

14. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    It influenced my decision to buy one but wasn't the major or deciding factor. But yes, I thought it was cool and it helped fuel my decision in the end.

The iPad mini is what I use and I find it to be the perfect compromise. Not too big, and not too small. I used to game on my iphone as well and I found the screen a bit too small, and that my fingers covered a big chunk of it while gaming.

As for typing fast on a touchscreen, hah. No way. I can do 80+ words a minute with a keyboard, and probably half or less of that on a touch screen. I don't like it, I do it out of necessity really.

15. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    iPad is really cool and if controller support helped you making a good decision then by all means that is great :)

16. Pete Martell

Feb 20, 2014
    You never run out of great games on a PC, if only more console players took the leap already.

Perhaps those steam boxes will help.

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #77 Cilo, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    Lol just let it be, you're not going to get your point across even if you went over to Pete's house and timed him typing first on an iPad and then on a keyboard. Most likely his hands will become jello once he touches anything tactile.

You know what this is though right? A cleverly created thread to advertise the mophie juice pack plus lol. I don't even know how this thread went off on rails, it's seriously a long story about a guy who searched high and low for a vision he had in a dream but couldn't remember what it was, then one day he was united with the mophie juice pack plus, and his dream was fulfilled.

I think Pete might be the greatest mophie juice pack plus traveling salesman in the history of battery cases! :D
    Don't even get me started on Ava's quest on par with Mario . . .

The only post I think that made complete sense with me has been from cplr regarding rocket cat's genius work on iOS, and Pizza Boy.

18. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Some people like playing games with a controller, some people don't. Some people find FPS games unplayable with a touchscreen, some people play them all the time. Some people type great on virtual keyboards, some people attach a hardware one over bluetooth.

I'm still confused; why is there an argument? There is no right answer to any of these, they are completely matters of taste, and iOS lets everyone work the way they want.

Does it really matter whether or not someone disagrees with you?

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Mind boggling, really.

20. Topherunhinged

Feb 7, 2014
    Arguing is one of the few worthwhile things you can do with another person.