Platformer likes and dislikes

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by M.O., Sep 4, 2012.

1. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    #1 M.O., Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Hey all, my next project is going to be a 2d platformer/shooter. I was wondering what are things that you don't like about platformers that you see and what do you like/want to see?

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Likes: Solid virtual button controls and decent-sized and well-designed levels.

Dislikes: sloppy controls and sloppy levels.

3. #3 Connector, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    Dislikes:

Sloppy Controls
    Not moveable controls
    Ipad controls that are zoomed iphone controls
    Some games too cutesy, lack gameplay
    Very slow paced platform games

Mikey shorts cause the controls are great and you can either play fast timed way or slower get all the coins way.

Max and the marker hd cause the controls are great and it combines puzzle and platform play.

Wimp, not released yet, but probably the best platform game on ios. It controls great, has puzzle elements and is one heck of a game. It'll be released in about 2 weeks, and all you platform lovers will love it!

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Ditto from above. Good controls are an absolute must. A platformer can look fantastic, but if the controls are crap...the game will be too.

I'm always wanting more long-form platformers on the iOS. There's a ton of short-level, timed, hard-as-nails plaformers, but very few really good platformers with decent-sized levels, multiple paths, etc.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Right now im craving for a game similar to Astronot (massive exploration), but with high quality, non-cartoon graphics, and a faster paced action similar to contra/League of Evil games.

Oh, and I love double jumps and wall vaulting/jumping.

And as mentioned, TIGHT, TIGHT CONTROLS.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    +1 to this!

7. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    I'd love to see more platformers control like LostWinds or Project 83113. Maybe a combination of virtual pad and swipe. Its just so perfect, and those two (3 including LW2) nail it.

8. peter50

peter50 Member

Sep 5, 2012
    #8 peter50, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Indeed same like the above stuff I have information which I want to expose...

vehicle servicing | we specialize in care of trailers

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Likes are good controls that you can move and aren't too small. I also like good level design, overall gameplay and I want it to be fun, well obviously :p Dislikes are the opposite of likes.

I want more long platformers like Swordigo and CreaVures. Swordigo is perfect but CreaVures was an utter fail

10. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)