iPhone Defender of the Crown

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by scarnie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. scarnie

scarnie Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Starting a thread for any questions around the up and coming release from Cinemaware and Manomio.

Cheers,

Stuart

2. Thedinks

Thedinks New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Wales
    Is this based on the original amiga version of the same name?

3. scarnie

scarnie Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Software Architect
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Yes indeed, original in every sense :)

4. Thedinks

Thedinks New Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Wales
    As I recall this game was quite difficult (for me at least) its not been dumbed down any I hope?

Thanks.
    jim.

5. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Hi retro gamers! I posted this in the original discussion thread with the article, but since Stuart has set up a separate thread, I thought I'd re-post here, too.

I any case, I spoke with Stuart via email, and he's allowed me to mention that I've been beta testing the game (and iAmiga) for a while. If you've got any particular questions, fire away.

I caught a question in the original discussion about why *only* DotC is being released. Since I'm just a guy doing beta tests, and I'm *not* an employee, I don't have many of the internal details. My best guess is that this is a special release and doesn't have tons to do with iAmiga, other than it runs on a variant of that platform. The emulation has been very smooth - including the virtual mouse - and Manomio have done a lot to mask all the inner workings of the Amiga so DotC is as iOS friendly as it can be (minus the fact that it's not a re-write of the game that solely uses a touch interface).

I do know that the Manomio team are very hard at work on iAmiga to make that perfect. Think of the DotC release as a highly specialized version of iAmiga. From what I've been allowed to see of iAmiga, there's still a fair bit of work to do on the UI. I'm not privy to all of the planned improvements or licensing that has been obtained (beyond the Amiga license itself).

The team has done a bang up job on DotC. They've been very responsive to comments and suggestions for improvements. Stuart is just a great guy, and very dedicated to providing the best retro experience that can be delivered.

:cool:

--DotComCTO

6. glangmead

glangmead Member

Nov 2, 2009
    I watched the video, and it sure brought back memories. HOWEVER, in my own day, I didn't have an Amiga -- I had an Atari ST, which also had a top-notch version of this game. I remember DotC like the back of my hand, and after having seen this iOS demo, I was surprised that the Amiga version had such lame sound and music. I hope someone out there's working on an Atari ST emulator so I can experience this game as it was meant to be! Let the Atari versus Amiga flame war begin! Actually, don't. I know the Atari overall sucked compared to the Amiga, especially in the OS department. Hence my surprise at the music. Nevertheless I'm very excited for this game!

7. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Heh. I had both an ST and an Amiga back then (and I still have my Amiga). The Amiga version was pretty much the better of the two versions. When you buy the game, you'll see!

:D

--DotComCTO

8. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    I had an Amiga too .................. those were the days!!!

This game was very good and I look forward to playing again. Would love to also see Elite 2.

9. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I had two amigas (one was stolen ...) and I loved this game.
    I am looking forward to play it again

10. amartin635

amartin635 New Member

May 10, 2011
    I played it a few weeks ago on an emulator and it wasn´t too much fun. It looked really good back then and some of the memories are still there but the game itself wouldn´t be a real blockbuster nowadays. But it´s nice nonetheless that it will get ported to iOS. Let´s hope it won´t cost 5 bucks!

11. VanDerPlaat

VanDerPlaat Active Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Test analyst
    Netherlands
    Any news on when this is coming out?

12. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Pocketgamer.com has an article stating that DOTC is coming out this thursday.
    As an avid player who never got to play on the Amiga but played the Nintendo version a gajillion times, I'm looking forward to it.

Coming out for both iphone and ipad