company dev account questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bishopia, Jan 29, 2012.

1. bishopia

bishopia Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Hey everyone. Two questions. Please excuse me if they have been asked before, I didn't see them in the forums.

1. has anyone converted their dev account from "individual" to "company"? my partners don't necessarily want to form a company to list our games under until maybe we see some success with our first release.

2. is forming an LLC enough to get a company dev account?

basically we are trying to avoid selling our games under one of our names.

Thanks!

2. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    never tried the 1st one

2nd one - yes thats enough

3. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    You can't switch accounts. You must create a new one.

4. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Note that you can still show up as "Acme Games" or whatever name you want in iTunes even with an individual developer account. One of your names will have to appear as the 'seller' though, and it is that person / entity who takes full legal responsibility.

The most suitable way if you hope to grow into a brand is probably to create an LLC, as by definition the company is then the legal entity with limited liability, which means your own money / house etc. is never at risk if you ever get sued eg. by a patent troll or something.

I created a Ltd company mainly to start to build my chosen brand name and to appear more professional. It also helps to keep the company accounts separate, which is easier when it comes to the tax return deadline (note to self: this is tomorrow!)

5. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Actually, it is possible to convert an individual account to a company account. I just completed the process recently :)

6. bishopia

bishopia Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Interesting. I didn't think that was true.

Thanks for the posts. Looks like we need to go LLC.