Why Doesn't apple add an App store for Apple TV??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Peteostro, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Peteostro

Peteostro Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This is really starting to drive me Crazy!
    Why the Heck doesn't Apple open an app store for apple tv?
    Put a 64bit A7 in the apple tv, add an app store. add support for bluetooth controller + iOS controller app= DESTROY the console industry
    Its so obvious but it does not seem like they want to pull the trigger :confused:

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    They would kill the gaming market on iPad/iPhone.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah that would be amazing. I've got a strong net connection but trying airplay on my device just isnt perfect so games arent enjoyable.

Like you say if you could access your apps on Apple TV like a mini console it would be amazing. Hopefully in the near future as it seems a no brainer as they would destroy the market. I dont know whats stopping them doing it

4. Peteostro

Peteostro Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    No, it will enhance it. a developer could make a universal app to play on all systems

5. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Why would you buy an iPhone or iPad for gaming if you can buy an Apple TV and play it on the big screen?

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Errr mobile gaming !

Bit like saying why bother playing games on a small screen ipod/ipad when you could just get an X-Box and play them on your tv.

Would love the ability to play them on the big screen, other times i'll be happy playing them on my device if i'm away (or cant use the tv !) etc

7. Peteostro

Peteostro Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Umm why would you by an iPhone or iPad just for gaming? also like others have said mobile gaming

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Many people on these forums do exactly that. I have a PS3 but can't always play it when I want. Bought the iPad mini last January specifically for gaming and just bought the iPad air a little over a month ago specifically for gaming. It's my console of choice now. Even when I get my 4 year to bed and have an opportunity to play GTA5 or The Last of Us more times than not I still choose to play games on my iPad instead.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Mobile gaming needs to be kept as mobile gaming, why? Because that way money can be made the way it is, with IAP.

10. Peteostro

Peteostro Active Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You wouldn't be able to do IAP on an apple Tv app store??
    Seems like every major console already does this

11. I just want a working hdmi for lightning! Not the joke it has become. What the heck Apple? You most not like tvs!

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe this is the wrong place - but I wish Apple would offer an iTunes app for other vendor products, to load on my Sony blu-ray player or Samsung TV so I could better access some good deals I've found on their digital content that's otherwise so elusive for me to access outside an iDevice.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly you'll just have IAP the same way, i mean i can rent/buy films/tv shows from my Apple TV, an app store would be exactly the same.

14. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Yeah, all these arguments about why it wouldn't work are weirdly terrible. (It would kill the iPhone? They couldn't do IAP? Huh?) Not saying there isn't a good reason, but I certainly haven't seen it here yet.

I'm sure Apple will release an AppleTV (or just a TV) with an AppStore eventually. In the meantime, they aren't stupid. They've got their reasons for waiting, whatever they are.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats what i hope but then i look to see whats happening with those controllers and i'm so underwhelmed by it.

But no way would it kill iphones etc, theres room for it. If i'm at home (and have access to the tv !) then apps on my apple tv would be good, for a lot of the time gaming on my iphone/ipad is perfect (theres a lot of crap my wife wants to watch on tv !).

I think it would enhance the whole iOS gaming area

16. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I bought my iPad for gaming alone, pretty much.
    I don't like consoles because I prefer the portability of being able to move wherever I want around the house or even outdoors.

17. IceAce

IceAce Member

Dec 30, 2013
    They ll enter home gaming when they are sure to dominate market (or at least be one big competitor, they dont want to be a ouya)

To do this they need to introduce something really new, or re imaginated, like the so chattered new apple television.
    Honestly I find difficult to imagine apple introduce home gaming with simply a minor upgrade of the apple tv