Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Anyone here try the MGS3DSE demo yet? Looks sick. Just a few more days. Only getting that and Kid Icarus: Uprising between now and April. I think I'm going to probably pass on RER. Really not up for another zombie shooter atm. Maybe I'll change my mind the next time I go to GameStop though, lol..

2. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    MGS3DSE?!

Anyone?

3. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I've played through the demo a couple of times now but the full game isn't released here in the UK until next month.

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
  6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #926 dumaz1000, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Metal Gear 3D is pretty fricken awesome. It utilizes a level of 3D immersion that until now has yet to be seen. It does more, 3D wise, then RE, which is saying something, because RE:R is pretty damn good in it's own right. I don't think it's possible for a 3DS game to look better then this. Although there are some texture shortcuts. I'm not going to lie and say that everything is perfect, but it's still amazing. When the notion of the 3DS was first announced, this is what I pictured it being capable of doing. Unfortunately, most games don't utilize the system to it's full mature capacity. I wish there were more games like RE:R and MG:3D. Heck, I'd settle for more games like Splinter Cell 3D, even though Splinter Cell is obviously a cut below the others. The 3DS is capable of doing some relatively great things. The tech is generally under-utilized though. Especially in terms of mature, adult-oriented games.

The main drawback to metal Gear, other then the fact that the controls without CPP (which i have) aren't as fluid, is the damn intro. It's aesthetically pleasing to watch, because of how immerse the 3D is, even during cut scenes, but it's like a hour of cut scenes and voice-over dialog with 5 minutes of actual gameplay dispersed within. Not exactly mobile friendly. I had to place my 3DS on some extended sleep mode sessions, and couldn't clear the entire intro sequence on a single battery charge.

As far as release dates go, MotorStorm RC for the Vita is out right now in Europe. In America, it doesn't even have a release date. The Lord of video games giveth and the Lord of video games taketh away.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Good to hear that the game utilizes the 3D well, but do you have anything to say about the gameplay? Should be amazing if it plays just like it did on the PS2. I skipped out on RE:R, but I'm pretty excited to see what the 3DS can do visually with MGS3DSE. Probably picking it up this weekend if it's in stock.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  9. #929 Haruhi, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Pokemon Black and White 2 for (3?)DS has just been confirmed. It's also the first direct sequel in the main Pokemon series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #930 dumaz1000, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Metal Gear 3D is a console game. It's impressive technically and is something you can still enjoy, but it has no business being on a portable device. Before I reached the end of what I would categorize as the game's prologue, I had clocked 2 hours of game time. There isn't more then 10 minutes of playable game in those 2 hours. There are 2 boss fights that are determined 100 percent through cut scenes. There are ceaseless cut scenes and seemingly endless blocks of voiced over dialog. This is always a complaint about Metal Gear. More of an interactive movie then a legitimate game. The characters and storyline are top notch, but you spend more time watching the game then playing the game.

8.5 rating from IGN, by the way. They have the same issues. Not portable-friendly, too much dialog, controls are spotty without the CCP, some of the texturing is questionable. 3D effect is awesome. The fun factor is still high. But keep in mind how weak the 3DS battery is, and how you can get caught up in long periods of having to watch cut scenes and not being in control your character. Your battery could very easily die during these stretches. The story is engrossing. The cut scenes are great to watch. Some of the characters are "anime whinny," to be honest. There's an unrealistic, anime feel to some of what's happening.

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    How long does Snake Eater actually take to beat? It's been too many years since the PS2 one.

12. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Just got Tekken 3D. Pretty excited. Graphics and gameplay are excellent and probably the best out of all three (SF4, DoAD). The movie included is not in real 3D :/ Overall I pretty much agree with IGN review except for the score which I think should be a bit higher.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #933 backtothis, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    So, I finally decided to play through Starfox 64. Didn't play it on the N64, so I was a little shocked when the game ended in a little over an hour. I knew it'd be short, but um..yeah.

I guess it's a game you're supposed to play over and over to get higher scores. Also, I see there are a bunch of planets I didn't go to, so I'm guessing the results of certain levels can determine which planets you actually visit before fighting Andross. Definitely will be replaying it a few times.

Took me six months to finally get spend time with it, lol. It was really fun though. The characters are silly.

Oh, score attack mode is pretty cool. It remembers which planets you've been to. It's interesting multiplayer mode can only be done through download play though..it must just be a very standard deathmatch mode then.

14. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yeah, certain levels have secondary (somewhat hidden) objectives. They're not always particularly elaborate, but meeting or missing these secondary objectives often determines which planet you visit next.

15. dumaz1000

Jun 5, 2010
    #935 dumaz1000, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    Star Fox 64 3D has like 1 and 1/2 hours of base content, and then it becomes like a leader board-type deal. Improve your times or scores or whatever. I hate crap like that. And the price has never dropped. For something with such limited content to have been on the market for like 6 month and still be selling for $40 (USD) is fairly ridiculous.

Pilot Wings 3D still hasn't dropped in price and it was a launch title. Same deal with Pilot Wings. Very limited base content. It's all about replaying the same stuff for improve scores. Nearly all of the 3DS launch titles are now selling for $19.99. It's been a year after all. Yet, Pilot Wings still selling for 39.99. Laughable, as far as I'm concerned.

However, I am a staunch believer that there's no such thing as replay value in a single-player game. Not if we're talking about starting a game over again after you've beaten it once. I would never do that, ever. But that's a personal preference situation. Replaying a particular stage within the context of a game not yet beaten, i might, if the incentive were enough.

You get more value out of a standard iOS game. I'd get as much gameplay from Reckless Racing 2, which I bought for 0.99c. Content is a huge part of what should distinguish Vita and 3DS games from iOS games. 3DS games should offer considerably more, and Star Fox just doesn't do that.

I'm not the one to ask about the length of games. I sample games. I don't beat them. I put 2 and a half hours into Metal Gear 3D. I could tell it was essentially just the introduction that took that long to complete. The game itself had barely even started. The question is, will I ever play that game again? Answer is, I don't know. I beat the first 2 chapters of Resident Evil Relevations. Will I have play that game again? Maybe. Maybe not.

16. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    What do you mean the movie is not in real 3D?

17. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Waiting for battleship to come out. First FPS on the 3DS

18. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    3DS hits 4.5 million sales in North America alone after just 11 months:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35770602&postcount=1

Despite many an analyst calling that dedicated handhelds are over, the 3DS has managed to outperform the original DS when back then the only competition was the PSP. Comparison of first years...

Nintendo DS (12 months in North America)
    -Launch date- Nov. 21 2004
    -Total HW units sold in first 12 months- 2.3 million
    -Total number of SW titles released in first 12 months-58
    -Total units of software sold in first 12 months-5 million
    -Total $ sales (HW, SW and accessory) in first 12 months-$540 million

Nintendo 3DS (11 months in North America)
    -Launch date- March 27, 2011
    -Total HW units sold in first 12 months-4.5 million
    -Total number of SW titles released in first 12 months- 100+
    -Total units of software sold in first 12 months- 9 million+
    -Total $ sales (HW, SW and accessory) in first 12 months- $1.2 billion+

Sales for 3DS elsewhere is just as booming, especially in Japan. Worldwide sales for the more expensive 3DS are at 17 million in just 11 months whereas the cheaper original DS managed around 15 million in its first 12 months.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    My brother put Super Mario 3D Land in his pocket, and the pants were washed and put in the dryer. The game still works perfectly o.o.

Kid Icarus comes out in under 2 weeks! I'm actually kind of glad I didn't get RER or MGS yet for the 3DS now. I don't think they're the kind of experiences I'm looking for on the platform. Anyways, Mario Tennis comes out on 05/20. Nothing else too noteworthy in the upcoming months though.

20. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    So happy to hear that the 3DS was such a success with sales!

I thought the DS would have outsold the 3DS for sure, but very happy to hear these numbers! Can't wait for Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, as well as Paper Mario! :)