On screen button actions or swipe and tap?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Name That, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Name That

Name That Member

May 1, 2012
    So i am seeing some games with buttons pushing to create actions like a punch or kick or even slice, and i have seen games where you have to actually swipe or tap on the screen to do actions.

Which do you think is better, to actually swipe the screen to slice something or to just push a button to create that action?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    depends on the game.. not?

imagine fruit ninja with buttons.. mehh..

3. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm taking a gamble with first game and doing on screen actions, controlling a main character by tapping on areas around hin for him to hit, and to move you simply hold your finger on the pavement left or right of him to move. It's been tricky getting ppl to use it, some ppl tap, some swipe others tap repeatedly, I have a tutorial, and despite not being as intuitive as other games I prefer the way my app is currently controlled, because it makes sense when you start playing it.

I don't like buttons personally because they take up screen space and block your view, but sometimes you have now choice depending on the game.

4. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
  5. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Personally, We hate using on screen buttons. We make it a rule not to use buttons or sticks on the HUD. It's a touchscreen so we use touch and gesture controls. At the most we embed buttons into the world itself. Without tactile feedback, on screen buttons tend to be a bad choice.

6. ReignDesign

ReignDesign Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Waiting for the iPhone 5 with haptic feedback then ;)

7. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

In my latest game I've so far stuck with gestures. But for a while I've been tempted to add a button to replace > 1 touch gestures. Simply because it seems 'hard' to play. IMO the game is not too hard, but in the mobile scene it would be and is too hard!

The solution I would say is to have an option of control method. I will also add a third option with v-pad/iCade (when I get a unit).

During development I've gotten use to using the mouse + keyboard on the simulator...Can we all get a Bluetooth keyboard and use WASD!

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    zen makes a point here. of course if your gameplay mechanics become so complex you think as a dev you could need some buttons, potential customers would have had thatthough way earlier.

like i said it all depends on the game.. if you need buttons because you want this gameplay to be like that.. then implement buttons..

not to mention that buttons dont need to actualy visible.. there are lots of games who declare a function to a certain space of the screen..

9. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Sure does depend on the game. The article mentioned a few posts above had me thinking back along the lines of tilt controls. Might just move that to the top of my list!