Just Ski (Farseer Games) - A minimalist skiing game powered by physics.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JeffWeber, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. My name is Jeff Weber. I'm a one-man game development team that loves making physics games in my spare time. In the past I created both Krashlander -Ski, Jump, Crash and Fat Penguin. Finally, it's time to announce my latest game...

[Size=+1]Just Ski - Launching May 10th, 2017 for $0.99[/Size]

About
    Just Ski is minimalist skiing game powered by physics. It was created by a single developer working one hour a day for six months.
    The controls are fluid, easy to understand, and once mastered give a real sense of being in-control.
    The visual design of Just Ski is simple and pleasant. The game uses high contrast colors to indicate progression and the user interface is purposefully bare.

Just Ski is now complete, loaded to the App Store, and set to go live May 10th, 2017.

Features
    • -A fluid and precise physics-driven control mechanic borrowed from an awesome old abandoned game called Ski Stunt Simulator.
    • -Simple minimalist design
    • -Very pick-up-and-play friendly with quick restarts.
    • -Exciting rigid-body style crashes.
    • -No free-to-play shenanigans

The physics
    The skier in this game, while in the air, is governed by a physics concept known as the conservation of angular momentum. This simply means you spin faster when crouched and slower when stretched out. It also means you need to impart some spin at launch because once in the air you cannot add angular momentum. (No fake spin physics here people!)
    It'll take a few tries to get the feel, but once you do you'll enjoy the sense of control.

[​IMG]

Gifs...Gifs...Gifs...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Looks amazing! Is there any objective to the game? Level based or endless?

3. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Love the look of this! You'll have my $1.49AUD #

4. JeffWeber

Thanks, glad you like the looks of the game. The objective is to get to the end of one very long level. :) The sky will change color based on how far you are along the ski path. The color of the sun will then keep track of your furthest point. If you can turn the sun black you beat the game.

-Jeff

5. JeffWeber

Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

6. JeffWeber

Promo Codes

Have fun. Landings will take some practice.

NFKA4H37JM93
    RMYEFYY63TAX
    L79JN7L3RF3L
    H9LEWKY4AELF
    WT3AHH46NYEY

7. PatanSwe

PatanSwe Member

Jun 23, 2015
    #7 PatanSwe, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Thanx, this is such a nice little gem. Spot on. Got the last code

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    wow - i just got the second last promo code there. Cannot wait to give this a try. Will happily gift to someone when it's out.

9. HEiRAVON

HEiRAVON Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    #9 HEiRAVON, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    So liking the look and gameplay feel of this.

Simply delightful!!!

Just used: L79JN7L3RF3L

Thank you!

10. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Redeem NFKA4H37JM93
    Thanks

11. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    man, I am rubbish at this. Just watched the video and cannot wait to control this. Beautiful though - minimally beautiful.

12. JeffWeber

:) Yeah sorry, small learning curve. You'll get the feel of it soon. All about rotation control in the air. I have a feeling many will get frustrated, but I hope people stay with it long enough to stick a few landings because it feels good to do so.

Remember, good things never come easy. :D

13. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Jeff - I tell my boys that each and every day. It's terrific by the way and I will get the hang of it. Is there any Game Center integration at all. I only ask as one of the highlights in the whole of iOS gaming for me is when you get to that 1,000th hole on Desert Golfing and Game Center kicks in. Sticking at it. Good luck with the release and many thanks for the code - I actually went to buy an iTunes card today to make sure I had money on my account for when this came out.

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Fantastic game, (Thankyou for the code). I love that this looks so easy, but is so challenging!
    This has a great feel to it, and the satisfaction of nailing even just one landing is so good!
    This will keep me coming back for a long time, as I chase the run that's longer than the last.
    Thanks for this little gem.

15. JeffWeber

Currently, there is not, because I thought it would take away from the minimal design. I do like the idea of having it show up once you get beyond a certain point... or maybe only once you finish the game. (Teaser: I do keep track of some game-play metrics as you play...)

I'll put Game Center on my list of things to consider adding in the future if the game gets traction.

16. JeffWeber

Thanks GPS. Glad you like the challenge. It really does get easier once you get the hang of it.

When you start making progress post the color of your sun... that tells me how far you've gotten.

-Jeff

17. JeffWeber

More Promo Codes

If you like to be challenged and missed the last batch of codes....

T7R4A47M3HRT
    A9KEHEL466YT
    HK3FRFRKPW3H
    XLHXM6FTYJAE
    YYEKHWYP6P37

18. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Grabbed T7R4A47M3HRT. This looks awesome. Thanks.

19. hvianna

hvianna Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Male
    IT Analyst / Webmaster
    Brazil
    I took HK3FRFRKPW3H - Thanks!

Managed to land 2 jumps so far! :D Controls are pretty unique, really cool!

A scoring system would be great!

20. JeffWeber

Glad you are liking it so far.

The closest thing to a "score" in Just Ski is your progress along the ski path. You'll notice the sky changes color as you go. The sun will become the color of your furthest progress along the ski path so in essence, the color of your sun is your score. Numbers are boring. :)