Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I dunno. I have the money but I lost interest in my dsi after a few months. I do not want to be disappointed again. Then again the 3DS does look tempting. Ill wait a month or so after it comes out to decide.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The price includes VAT (which just increased to 20%), but even so we are still getting ripped-off big time.

3. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    It's nothing new, prices here have hardly dropped on all iterations of the DS, whereas prices in the US and Japan, as I understand it, have been slashed numerous times.

I'm currently trying to figure out if it'd be significantly cheaper to just import everything from the States.

4. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Regarding battery life:

"How's the battery power?
    The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

Common sense trumps internet stupidity.... once again. ;)

5. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    That's like saying that if you turn your phone off, it doesn't use any power. I can turn my Wifi off, kill brightness, play match three games all day long, and turn off all push notifications and kill backgrounded apps all to save power, but i would kill all the fun. Where can you play games with no backlight and still see anything, a basement? And the 3D effect is made by two screens being out of focus to create the 3D effect, so you can align them more to reduce the 3D. but turning off 3D just brings them into alignment, and so wouldn't save any battery.

6. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Your post doesn't make any sense. I don't know where I should start.

Do you consider what you are going to say before posting a message?

7. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Your post doesn't make any sense. I don't know where I should start.

Do you consider what you are going to say before posting a message?

Obvious troll is obvious.

8. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I actually do a lot of those things on my ipod, obviously wifi off only when not in use, brightness turned down but not off, push notifications are always off for me as I find them annoying, and trying to remember to turn apps off properly is probably the thing I hate most about the iOS platform. Why can't apps just have a quit option.

Also on the 3D, I guess it'd take more processing power to produce the 3D effect than regular 2D, so it'd use up more battery.

9. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #109 Omega-F, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Oh boy.

Explain this nonsense to me please. I don't get it. Can someone be this.... "bright"?

The hell does it have to do?

Get this: You'll get around 8 hours of gaming out of the 3DS if the 3D effect is off. Even more than that if you turn things like WiFi off. It doesn't mean that you have kill brightness, or funnier, kill "fun" as you say. :rolleyes:

Man, think. Please. I've lost count of all the smart things you've said on 3DS' threads.

10. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #110 K?!, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    nevermind. I'm not going to debate this and I don't know why I started.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds alright to me. I've never had my iPod on full brightness either, it's barely half. You get used to it and it feels totally normal. I turn the WiFi off on my iPod as often as possible too, and I've already stated I care more for game quality than the 3D effect on the 3DS. Looks like I'm in for some decent battery life.

12. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    You don't understand fully. With optimal brightness settings, 3D on AND WiFi on, it lasts 3-5 hours. Then, if you don't want to play one of the 8(or whatever) launch titles, turn 3D off and it lasts 3 hours. Then, turn WiFi off, and turn down brightness slightly, so you can still see it and it should last you the whole day
    EDIT: my WiFi is always turned off whenever I don't use it, and I am always at the lowest brightness.

13. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Um... I think Nintendo is smart enough to have the device shut off the second screen to conserve power when the 3D effect is inactive.

14. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
  15. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    When it comes to home consoles I'm really going for Nintendo. NES, SNES, N64, (no GameCube), Wii. But the only handheld I ever bought was the Game Boy, which I sold some weeks later.
    I think Nintendo did a great job in adding the 3D feature, else this handheld would have been... well, just a slightly better DS. I like SpotPass, the eShop and the new FCs, too. But the AR thingy or StreetPass aren't really impressive.
    To be honest, I'd love to see some footage of Paper Mario 3DS or Mario Kart 3DS. These are probably the only two games that sound interesting to me. But I don't think they will be released this year.
    So I don't know if I'm buying a 3DS. If so, then probably a bundle with Mario Kart.
    But I'm so used to my iPod Touch & iPhone and the App Store, that I can't imagine going into a shop and paying 50€ to buy a single handheld game... :confused:

16. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Must buy for a mobile gamer.
    SF4, two Bio Hazard games, Dead or Alive...
    All are good graphic very close to console version.
    The Naked 3D even make the game much beautiful to the player in front of 3DS.

17. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Great news:

Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

The eStore is where you'll be able to download DSiWare titles, retro Game Boy classics, game demos, trailers and new digital titles made exclusively for the 3DS.

Nintendo hasn't confirmed a full line-up for the portable's Virtual Console equivalent, however, screenshots indicate that Super Mario Land and Zelda: Link's Awakening will both be available at some point.

I'm really excited for Link's Awakening since I never played it. Should be in for a good time :D

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    UK PEOPLE! ShopTo have just sent me an email telling me about a limited time offer. There's no indication of when it'll end, but if you pre-order a 3DS now you can get it for the low price of £199.85.

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #119 GDSage, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    A full preview of the many OS features. The Game Note feature will be useful for so many games. You can save numerous templates and failing that, look up hints with the browser. All the while the game is in a suspended mode and better yet the suspended game is still viewable, so you can refer to it in Game Note. Amazing how it has taken this long for any company to implement this.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    My guess is they didn't implement it because we've done fine without it for thirty years. Still, it's nice to have options.