8-Bit Monkey - GBA/Mario physics on iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stroffolino, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry for the cheeky title. Been working on this in the background for a long while (it was originally developed for the GameBoy Advance for a contest) and wanted to share some early video running on the iPhone.

It's envisioned primarily as a vertical platformer, stocked with ladders, double jumps, wall jumps, and moving platforms, though the engine support horizontal stages as well. Controls currently work GREAT.

Looking to hook up with some enthusiastic level designers - please hit me up if interested.

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Is this going to play in both portrait and landscape? Not sure if that's what you mean by "the engine supports horizontal stages as well." Could be excellent assuming I won't have to have baby fingers to play it (in portrait mode).

3. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Supports all four device orientations. Portrait orientations let you see more up and down and so are more suitable to skinny, tall stages to spot things that might be just offscreen in landscape view (and vice versa).

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Looks cool, but not that much of 8 bit xD

5. Monkeyy

Monkeyy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Right here, of course
    I think I'll have to get this just because of the name :p

6. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Love the graphics! Very cool.
    Not sure about the physics though??

7. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Looks great, need any testers?

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Looks awesome, I really like that you are supporting both orientations.

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I've been longing for a Donkey Kong Gameboy type game in the Appstore for years now.

You're gonna need to make sure the controls work well, especially since you're gonna have lots of climbing and wall jumps. Make sure and play the current platformer standard bearers like League of Evil, Robot Wants Kitty, etc to see the least responsive your controls should be.

Hopefully you'll get some good level designers. I might add a few suggestions. In the meantime I suggest you watch that entire runthrough of Donkey Kong Gameboy on that youtube channel and take as much inspiration with the variety of levels as possible.

Current graphics and animations look stiff but that's expected with an early video. Supporting all four device orientations is a great idea, but can you pinch zoom the level or pan around using two fingers?

I'll be glad to help beta test this game.

10. would be glad to help beta test

11. SpaceJoker

SpaceJoker Member

Jun 8, 2011
    wow, I see some potential in this (and this also reminds me of Donkey Kong for gameboy). I would love to help beta testing

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I really appreciate the folk stepping up and offering to beta test. I'll definitely be in touch when it's a bit further along.

Big thanks also for the tip to check out Donkey Kong Gameboy - I'd never played that game, it looks very cool, and it'll definitely help inspire level design.

I hadn't been planning to support zooming or panning with two fingers, though that wouldn't be a terribly hard thing to pull off. I'm not a big fan of games where you need to do a lot of memorization, so being able to peek around freely could be nice.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the hero's kid sister, who's been taken prisoner, in all her 8 bit pixelated glory.

[​IMG]

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Any progress on the game?
    Yep, it's one of the best games I've ever played in terms of pure fun, fantastic levels.

Thanks for considering this, it would be appreciated.

Looks good. Is she going to be at the goal of the level, Donkey Kong style or someone we see in cutscenes?