Best Sudoku App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by weedeatinflyincougar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I know there's probably been threads about this before, but there have been a number of new ones since I've seen one.

Anyways, I've been using Sudoku Unlimited, but recently I've noticed that it actually doesn't come up with random sudoku puzzles.

So, what's the best sudoku app as of now, preferably with an ACTUAL random puzzle generator.

2. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark

I prefer Enjoy Sudoku:
    http://appshopper.com/games/enjoy-sudoku

and

Mastersoft Sudoku:
    http://appshopper.com/games/mastersoft-sudoku-winner-2008

Both have random puzzles.

I don't have iTunes installed on this pc, so I can't give you the links to iTunes.

3. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
  4. decaffed

decaffed New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Sudoku X4 -- new -- best sudoku app

I just d/led lots of Sudoku apps, and Sudoku X4 rocks! It's pretty new, I think, because I haven't seen any reviews.

Here's what I liked -- it's a straightforward Sudoku app, no distracting graphic silliness. It has the regular Sudokus, the X variety where diagonals count, irregular ones where the boxes aren't square but are color-coded groups, and irregular X that combine both those ideas. There is a really cool album (think Photo for Sudokus) that lets you save games in mid-stream and solve them later, or redo them from the beginning. Speaking of redo, there is complete Undo and Redo, and it isn't buggy (unlike some other apps). The game engine seems to run in the background, so there are effectively unlimited games. They range from easy to Really Really Hard, which are -- they've eaten two days at the beach! There is an automatic notes feature than can basically solve the easy ones, but makes solving the hard ones a lot less tedious.

I just think it's a great, professionally done app. Here's the link:
    Sudoku X4

5. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Sudoku 2 Pro by Finger Arts. It's got more of an arcade scoring system which adds to the standard sudoku game.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I find this question a bit funny - because I have found that the "best" puzzles are not randomly generated - or if it is, it is gone over by an expert who is able to discern the intricacies of the puzzle and then declares it good. All the newspaper sudokus, and magazine sudokus that are put out my a person are certainly not just what the random generator comes up with for that day....

So, for me, the most important aspects are UI, and I like to have a puzzle that does pencil marks well. Big Bad Sudoku Book does pencil marks better than any Sudoku puzzle I have ever tried (dating back from Palm days).

Other excellent ones are mentioned here - Mastersoft has more options than you can shake a stick at - there are so many it is actually a bit intimidating...

Enjoy Sudoku is popular. Astraware Sudoku is also great and they have puzzle of the day which is fun.

Sudoku 2 by the folks that do Hangman RSS is liked by many as well.

If you are a big Sudoku fan- you should look at Str8ts, or Str8ts 6x6 (much easier) for something much more challenging, and a different way of looking at the numbers in a cell genre.

Sorry for not posting links. Good luck with your search.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Funny, I just wrote almost the exact same thing on Pluto6's wall.

Agreed, Str8ts is fantastic, although my favorite from the same dev, which has a very similar mechanic is Domino Dice. It's gorgeous and has a scoring system so you can feel more competitive if you want to. Even if you don't care about leaderboards, it gives you a par when you do the puzzle, which gives you a nice sense of accomplishment if you can finish under it. In my opinion, a number puzzle fan can't do better for 99 cents.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This.

And.. the free version (Enjoy Sudoku Daily) lets you play one puzzle of each difficulty level each day, so it's plenty.

Also be sure to check out Str8ts if you are a sudoku fan - it is a good "same-but-different" game. ;)

9. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Just bought sudoku x4 based on aboved recommendation. i dont know whether it is the best since it is my first sudoku app, but so far im satisfied.