Worth upgrading OS 4 on iPod 2g?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stutz, Nov 3, 2010.

1. stutz

stutz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    I would love to hear peoples experience upgrading a sencond gen iPod touch to OS 4.0+. Haven't really found any info in the threads on whether it would be smart to update or not. I'm worried about memory issues, lag/screwing up my iPod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I chronicled updating my 2nd Gen iPod Touch to iOS 4.0 in this thread.

iOS 4.1 was much better, but I'd still recommend getting something like MemoryInfo so you don't end up rebooting all the time...

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Upgrading to 4.0 on my 2G is what prompted me to just get a new ipod. When Angry Birds started freezing on me after I updated, I knew I'd made a mistake. Most of the features you can't use, and I'm not sure the Gamcenter is worth the slowdowns.

4. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    worked fine for me albeit a few restarts but that occurs for everyone

5. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #5 Touchgamer3g, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    I have a basic question about upgrading OS that has nothing to do with the title of this thread but did not feel the need to make a brand new thread for it so I will just ask here. Hopefully someone can help here but if not I will make a thread for it in the Lounge:

I am on an iPod Touch 3G currently on iOS4. I want to upgrade to iOS4.1. Whenever I upgrade my OS, I tend to have to do a long tedious restore being that I have not synced my iPod to my computer in over 5 months (and got hundreds more games on it since then). Should I update my iTunes to the latest version before I update my OS? And should I sync first before I update my OS? And do you need a certain amount of GB left to update to iOS4.1? I only have less that 1 GB left. I really do not want to have to do a full restore but have a feeling I will have to. If anyone knows the best way to avoid this happening, please tell me :)

Thanks for the help!

6. Dakaa

Dakaa Member

Jul 1, 2010
    big no no, unless you want it to be slow azz.

7. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hmm? I've been running iOS 4.1 on my Ipod Touch G2 since it was released, and I haven't noticed it being any slower than the 3.xx builds... It seems pretty stable to me. I have never had 4.1 crash on me either, though I do remember 4.0 being very buggy and slow in comparison. I thought it was worth upgrading to for the extra features like folders and game center.

The only downside i can think of is that iOS4.1 ears away at more of your idevice's storage space, it is a bit painful to lose another 200mb's to your operating system... especially on 8gb devices...

The question from me is, is it worth upgrading to 4.2 now? Probably not. :p

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    OR.... You could upgrade iPod 2 to iPod 4?

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    In Simple words, it is worth it, Game center has not slowed it down as much as others have stated it!

I have an ipod touch 2g, 8gb
    It had frozen only initially, but once updated to the latest iOS, it is behaving
    Its not JB'ed, I do not play a lot of games when wi-fi is on, nor am I into FPSes or RPGs,
    It responds fine when playing Zenbound 2, Rogue planet, Asphalt 5 (I believe those are memory intensive games)
    A few games it has issues with, like every other generation of device does, so, it is not the iPod itself.
    I wanted iOS 4 mainly for Folders & Multitasking, but multitasking is not supported on this device.
    Many iPod touch 2 g users have faced the stuttering only if one JBed it to enable multitasking alone or even themes.

10. Dakaa

Dakaa Member

Jul 1, 2010
    iOS is meant for 3gs or up, it will only slow down in older models.