My latest game Fumbers failed so badly it's hard not to laugh about it.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

This should probably be mandatory reading for anyone thinking iPhone development is a river of gold.

Wednesday this week I released my latest game Fumbers. Leading up to the release I had spent a lot of time in different forums, sending press-releases, e-mails, been tweeting, giving away promo-codes to carefully selected twitter-followers, staying up long hours, getting up early everything to try and drum up some interest for the game.

Needless to say I was very eager to check the sales-figures on Thursday. Total sales for the US:
    ***Drum roll***

1 copy.

I still can't stop laughing about it, it's just such a complete an utterly fail that I can't even be depressed. You know, like I'm the world champion at failing or something! Brilliant! :D

Oh, well it's always the next project... ;)

2. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Do you have a LITE version out? I was surprised, that usually every day you get at least 10 downloads for your LITE version. Imagine if your game is so good that you get them to buy the full version...

I think I make almost all sales through the LITE version.

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #3 Flickitty, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
    that is certainly discouraging, but i think it takes real courage to admit this reality. i think this should be mandatory reading as well.

i also know that you arent alone. it looks like you arent about to let this setback stop you.

4. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I'm sorry, but I read the description and looked at all the screenshots, and I still have no freakin clue about what this game is about! :)

I think if you describe the game better, and maybe put some sort of tutorial screen in your screenshots, it'll help you out... but right now it's just confusing

5. TheGreemSim

TheGreemSim Well-Known Member

You make me want to buy it for you out of sympathy

6. /Agree

7. TheGreemSim

TheGreemSim Well-Known Member

Try Collaborating with FreeAppaDay.com or other free app give aways to get your game noticed.

8. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Welcome to iPhone development. ;)

In all seriousness, iPhone development is not a river of gold. It hasn't been since the first few weeks of release when the dozen or so games out there all sold due to being the only things available.

9. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    its karma for selling "Farting Boobs"

10. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    FreeAppADay.com appears to be nothing more than a greedy cash-grab for the folks behind the site. See this post:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=42326

in which you will learn that FreeAppADay.com CHARGES $600-$1200 to get your app listed there for a FREE giveaway! For struggling devs who are trying to get noticed so that they have some hope of making some money from their hard work, this seems counter-intuitive and just downright WRONG.

11. NickFalk

Thanks a lot for your comments everyone. I wasn't really looking for a solution as I figure the game was dead on arrival. However, your comments about the description is spot on.

Seems I was caught in the old "curse of knowledge" trap, as I obviously know what the game is about. So, fixing that now - Thanks, a really silly mistake to make.

For those of you curious enough I believe the "infomercial" I made should clear things up:

@TheGreenSim I don't mind your business, even if it is out of pity, I have no shame. ;)

@gamerOutfit: I was well aware of this as Fumbers is actually my fourth title. It's the first one that isn't completely crap.

It's probably bad karma after releasing Farting Boobs! :D Edit: bravetarget beat me to it!

12. NickFalk

Qft
    ;)

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA

Dude, don't let this get you down. I failed way more than you since my apps never even got developed. YOu have to remember 99% of success is failure. Keep up the hard work!

14. NickFalk

Don't worry, it's the oddest thing, I really think it is funny, I think it must be some sort of psychological fail-safe or something as I probably should be bummed out. :D

15. Manojalpa

Manojalpa Active Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Game Producer
    Ithaca, NY
    This is amazing. I agree on mandatory reading.

We stared at meager sales, too, when our app was released, wondering why, trying not to get discouraged. It's excellent to have company on the "Well Damn" sales level. But you've got an amazing attitude about it, so extreme kudos :D Good luck on the next round!

16. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    you should be whatever you're being. Don't let society pressure you to feel any certain way.

I think you have a real good mindset and I personally think that will take you to the top if you keep working hard.

Tell you what, contact me via PM and I'll help you with any ideas you have for the future.

17. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

It's a good job everyone has a mother, hey? ;)

Chin up, mate. Maybe it'll pick up from here.

18. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Chelsea, I don't remember seeing you on this board. Good to see you here!

Have you released the free version of Tipoli yet? I still haven't completed the game, but I am soooooo close.

19. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

What he/she said! :cool:

20. baldong

baldong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Market reward us in a way beyond our imagination, but you have a good altitude to face it, man ;) I visited your web, the app is clean and web is well designed, the only thing I am wonder is I am not very clear about what exactly the game is, it looks like a brain training game with nice graphics and some fresh gameplay in, maybe you can create a video?

I am waiting my first game land on app store today..... maybe we could laugh together soon