Tunnel Runner Early preview

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Mike_011972, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Mike_011972

Mike_011972 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a couple of screen grabs from my current work in progress game for the iPhone and iPad. It’s still pretty early in development but it’s already pretty playable (even on an old 2G iPod). I don’t even have a name for the game yet (thinking of either ‘Flip Tunnel’ or Tunnel Runner’ but if anyone has any better ideas). I’m guessing it’s only about 30% done (that’s from the features for the game) at the moment and doesn’t include any real polish and there’s still a lot of work to be done on the level progression of the game.
    [​IMG]
    Basically it’s a random running / jumping / dodging style game done in 3D and I’m planning on having some basic RPG style character progression to improve the players abilities.

The reason for showing the screen grabs so early is that I’m hoping it will get peoples interest in the game, get some feedback (good or bad) back from it which will help to increase my motivation (coming back home after a hard day of work, during these cold dark nights just makes me want to hibernate:rolleyes:) and if I can get some good word of mouth, all the better as it’s the first game I’ve done all by myself and it can really be rough going sometimes.

All been well I’m aiming for getting the game out for Christmas if everything goes smoothly so I’ll also be looking for some beta testers soon if anyone is interested?

Thanks for reading.

Mike.

Attached Files:

2. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Looks cool, I'll test it if you want.

3. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks

Yeah. Great!
    Can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you back and when I've got something up to a stage I'm happy to let people lose on I'll send you a build of it.
    I'm based in the UK by the way so if I'm a bit slow at responding, it's 'cos I'm either a sleep or at work (or both ;) )

Cheers,
    Mike.

4. K76

K76 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 12, 2010
    Cowtown, Texas
    Lookin' good! I'd be interested in helping you test if I'm available when the time comes.

In the meantime, keep going, and don't get discouraged! Bringing a great game you can be proud of into the world is worth the patience and effort it takes to make it happen. :D

5. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks. I'm hoping to hit alpha in about two weeks time as long as I don't hit any major problems (fairly new at coding so I can get tripped up on the simplest of things sometimes :().
    I'll definitely post asking for testers when I've got something I'm happy to let people lose on it :D

Thanks,
    Mike.

6. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I'm interested in testing aswell. :)

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

this looks so badass. like mario in boost 3d

8. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Interested to test. Let me know.

9. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Great. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll let you know when there's something to play.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I am interested in testing too. Cough 2 devices cough

11. That's not Tunnel Runner. THIS...

[​IMG]

...is Tunnel Runner. One of my favourite 2600 games ever.

This game looks good graphically, but seems primarily like yet another tunnel obstacle course.

12. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    The guy looks like a blue Mario

13. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Great. PM your e-mail address and I'll let you know when I have a build ready to send out (looking two weeks from now).

Thanks,
    Mike.

14. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    I've never seen that before. Graphically looks pretty good for an Atari 2600 game (I had the old fake wooden effect one when I was a kid (loved Empire Strikes Back and Spider-Man on it) and the little black joysticks that came with it lasted forever).
    So was it something like 3D Maze or Midi Maze?

Yeah, the game is pretty much an obstacle game I guess, but I'm hoping to get a few new ideas in the game as well. I've got a few ideas, but what seems good on paper doesn't always work out been fun in real life:D

15. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    It's actually a real time version of this model, but I think the real time model looks better:confused:
    [​IMG]

It's just your generic slightly manga'ish character that I could get to fit well in a 32x32 pixel grid for another game I did:D
    I would love to say that there was some big arty thing behind it, but there isn't. I picked the colours so that they stood out and you could tell the arms from the legs and it didn't look to strange for the screen resolution for the game it was going in, which at the time was old java mobile games, so you where looking at 16*16 pixel blocks.
    I liked the character enough to use him again.

Cheers,
    Mike.

16. Yeah, it was a 3D maze. Technologically quite impressive for the time (used CBS' RAMPlus+ system) but also quite an enjoyable game that could get very tense at times. Your mention of MIDI maze also tells me you were an Atari head like me. :D

Well, it'll be interesting to see what you do with it. Being that it's on foot changes things, it'll just be interesting to see how. :)

17. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Yeah, as a kid, I grew up with most of the computers / consoles at the time (never had any of the 8bit Atari computer thou, which was a shame because the arcade ports always looked amazing on them).
    Midi Maze was one of the first linked up games I ever played I think (that or Stunt Car).

The game itself is controlled a bit like Tempest (tilt the device to rotate the screen), but you can also run upside down (on the centre pipe) by tapping the screen so you have two levels to work on, which still keeps the game simple, but adds an extra element to the game and it feels like just enough freedom while you’re playing the game.

For me personally, I like iPhone games that are fairly quick and short, but also have lots of replay value. Just like the old arcade games did form the 80’s. If I can also add in elements that reward the player for constantly keep coming back to the game, all the better (that’s partly where I want to add the basic RPG elements to the game).

Basically, I just want to make a game that’s fast and fun to play for myself and hopefully that will mean other people will like it as well.:)

Thanks,
    Mike.

18. DiscGolf2Go

DiscGolf2Go Well-Known Member

graphics look clean and easy to see. I love the lighting! Let me know if you need a tester!:D

19. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Thanks, the graphics need to be for when the game starts to pick up speed :)
    Give me a shout in about two weeks time and I should have something close to an Alpha build ready to play with.

Thanks,
    Mike.

20. Mike_011972

Dec 30, 2008
    Couple of new screens

Hello,
    Just another quick post to show a bit more progress. Most of the work is stuff can’t be shown via screen shots (audio code, a few bug fixes and little tweaks and pokes), but here is a couple of screen shots from one of the boulder sections with a few particles thrown in for good measure. Actually, it appears that I can use a lot more particles then I was expecting (even on a 2nd Gen iPod the frame rate is pretty solid) so that’s give me an idea for a few more obstacles and traps I can throw into the game. It looks a lot better when it’s moving and all you can see are dust trails with the sounds of boulders rolling past you (I don’t want to go to Indiana Jones, but I’m going to have plenty of fun with the obstacles).:D

Screens have been scaled down (by half) from the iPhone 4 screen grabs so it’s a better match–screen size area when viewed on a computer screen (and it keeps the download size a lot smaller).

I’m coming up with a lot more ideas now for the game which I think will really take it to the next level and enhanced the game play a lot.

I’ve also included a game logo mock up for the game, but I’m going to need to change the name as there’s already a game called Tunnel Runner on the App Store (should of checked first I guess :rolleyes:).

Any feedback is always welcome of course and I’ve not forgotten the people that have asked to be tester (as soon as there’s something solid to play with (sorry that sounds dodgy;)) I’ll be in touch).

Right back to downloading the new iOS’s (taking ages)….

Thanks,
    Mike.

Attached Files: