Do you think the human race will ever come in contact with Aliens?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TheEvilRobot, Apr 5, 2013.

1. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    #1 TheEvilRobot, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Or do you think we already have but the government and/or NASA is keeping it secret?

Or do you think Aliens don't exist?

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Are those the only two options?

3. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    I edited the post :)

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If there is a civilisation advanced enough to be capable of contacting us easily... why would they?

To them we'd be essentially cavemen. At best they'd consider us pets or below them and not worthy of notice. At worst, a threat, in which case we wouldn't stand a chance.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Still not enough options! I'm just hard to please I guess.

I don't think they will visit us (for pretty much the same reasons Echo said... If they have the tech to travel thousands of light years then we will be ants in comparison).

I don't think they already have and that anyone is covering it up.

But I DO think they exist. As Ellie says in Contact, it'd be an awful waste of space... : ) I imagine most of it would be very very basic, the equivalent of bacteria or other single celled creatures on Earth. Some of it might be as "advanced" as us and some of it is probably (hopefully) far, far more advanced. I say "hopefully" because some people speculate that once a species hits the point where they have the ability to wipe out their whole planet (the point we are at more or less), there is a good chance they will. I'm a bit more optimistic.

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    We would make terrible pets. We eat heaps, breed like crazy and are neither loyal or cute. Maybe we would be collectible Pokemon to them and they could use us to battle

7. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I always thought about the impossibility of us being the only kind of life form existing in the universe, or in our galaxy at least.
    At the same time, I'd like so much believe in UFO or aliens, but the proof we have had until now are vague at best. Photos and videos are always not clear or hard to be deciphered, and if we think that in our era, anyone can make a video or photos like real with a simple computer software, i think is pretty difficult to divide the true from the false.
    I believe that the day an alien race will come visiting us, will be for all of us, not a single man or woman. If they are so advanced as we think, they'll understand the importance of that moment for the whole humanity.
    Maybe they're much more behind us in technology, and incapable of space voyages, who knows? Maybe they are questioning themselves the same questions we try to answer. Everything is possible.

8. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

If an alien from Under the Skin comes to Earth, I'd welcome them with open arms ;)

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    If the shoe was on the other foot what we do if we found another race? I think there would be a bucket load of observing then a contegency plan in case they retaliate followed by a peaceful attempt to contact and trade information.

Information and attempts to form an alliance would out way any thing achieved from warfare.

Statistically it's almost impossible that there isn't other life out there. The issue is if we can survive long enough to make contact

10. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Well, at the actual rate of our tech advancement, i hardly see how could we discover other civilizations.
    The only thing we can do is wait. And if we should find some sort of signal from the deep space, as you stated rightly, how much time would occur to make a contact?
    We can't do anything but wait.

11. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Who knows. The recent work on the Higgs and the new plan to map nurons has my hopes up for big breakthroughs. Yes, rockets aren't gonna get us to any new neighbourhoods anytime soon but manipulating and fully comprehending the secrets of matter and energy could at least give us a shortcut

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Are you saying our rate of tech advancement is slow? Pretty much -everything- has happened within the past 60 years, that's fast as hell. Plus, the more you know, the faster it advances. It's only going to speed up until we hit some kind of hard barrier.

13. Capronissimo71

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I referred specifically to the space program advancement, sorry for not having been clear. Sure I hope, with returning to the Moon and going to Mars, things will get a fast advancement.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh, yeah. That kinda took a hit. Still, we have that dude to hopes to land humans on Mars pretty soon, so that's something. I forget who he is... the guy that owns PayPal or something?

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I was about to say, NASA is aiming for four people to be fully residing on Mars by April 2023, thats definitely a notable advancement.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I was thinking of Elon Musk. The SpaceX guy.

17. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Oops, yeah, the dude owns PayPal or something. I was wrong, when I think space, I automatically think 'NASA', not PayPal. :p

18. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    All I know is while watching the movie 'Prometheus' I convinced myself that if I ever do meet an alien, I will shoot first and not bother asking questions later! lol

I used to think meeting an alien race would be cool, but any more, I'm just sure they would show up to own the place.

19. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I think Independence Day was the movie that changed how I would view an alien invasion. I never got around to seeing Prometheus though :p

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010