Worth it to download Gameloft games anymore?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by nfong, Oct 26, 2011.

1. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Gameloft has just removed Brothers in Arms 2 from the App Store, and has replaced it with a freemium version, Brothers in Arms 2 Free +. Gameloft has also pulled a similar stunt in the past with their Let's Golf series. (They removed Let's Golf 1 and 2 after releasing the freemium Let's Golf 3 on the app store)

Is it safe to download any Gameloft games anymore? For all I know, the game could be pulled from the store any day, and be replaced by a freemium!
    Your guys' thoughts?

2. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    If a game you bought gets pulled, you should be able to restore it if you've backed it up.

3. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    You can also go to the "Purchased" section of iTunes and re-download anything pulled. Since that was added I don't find a problem with it.

4. rann

rann Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011
    OMG, I haven't downloaded Brother in arms 2 that was purchased last sale. Now I can't find it in iTunes purchased section.

5. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Yeah, I understand that we can redownload games even after they are pulled, but I'm just upset that the game I may pay for in the future may eventually be replaced with a free version. It just seems that Gameloft is intent on ripping off customers, which is why I'm not sure whether I should buy a game or wait until its freemium counterpart replaces it.

6. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Just remember this: Gameloft will never
    a. Do this with one of their top sellers (it's stupid financially when you're doing well)
    b. Give away a premium version free forever. There IS a big difference here, you still have the full version.

7. rann

rann Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011
    how to redownload?

8. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Let's Golf 2 is Gameloft's greatest work IMHO. It's a real shame that they pulled it, as it is a great demonstration of Gameloft's capabilities. LG 3 is utter crap, even when ignoring the energy system. I think what Gameloft is doing is just hurting itself.

9. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Meh, I thought BIA2 was a pretty good game back when it came out (though I never felt the need to purchase it).
    I agree with b, though. Just still upset that Gameloft has the nerve to pull full games from the App Store, and then give reasons like the "license expired", instead of telling the truth.

10. rann

rann Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Hi, how to redownload? I can't find BIA2 in purchased section. I'm very upset too!

11. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    If you purchased it before, it should be there in the purchased section.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Well, if you bought it a long time ago, it should be pretty far down in your purchased list.

13. rann

rann Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2011

Hey guys, I found it! I need to scroll all the way through the list to be able to see the pulled BIA2 and let's golf 2! Search is not working for pulled apps even within my purchased list!!!

Downloading BIA2 now! Thanks a lot guys! Cheers! :)

14. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    Gameloft was a good developer like 1-1.5 year ago.But now they s*ck.They make famous rip offs on the same un-updated game engine.

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    lol of course it is worth it. MC3 is out Tintin coming later and probably more good and maybe unreal engine games too! Even if they make 1 of their lesser known games Free+ doesn't mean they're greedy, just that they're games need more attention... They got over 200 apps you know.

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I love Gameloft. No other company on the app store discounts their games down to .99 cents as much as they do.

I don't know why people hate on this company. If you don't like their games don't buy them.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think Gameloft games are okay. This taking things off the store and then replacing them with freemium is kind of gross though. It basically means that your version of the app stops getting supported/any future updates...so if there's a big thing like a new iOS update, you could lose functionality of your game. I'd be okay if they just had both versions up, but taking the original down altogether sucks for the people who paid for it.

...not that Gameloft is great about updating in a timely manner any way.

18. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cant agree more.

19. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Word.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Remember to back up those IPA files, folks!

Games can (and will) disappear and change all the time!