Solomon Dark (by Raptisoft: creator of Solomon Keep, Solomon Boneyard)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RaptorF35, Jun 8, 2012.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Updated versions of both Solomon games sounds better then just iPad updates. I am looking forward to them.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Quoted :)

3. Raptisoft

Raptisoft Well-Known Member

FYI, Solomon's Boneyard + Retina has been submitted.

4. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nice. Is it an update or a new download? Wondering if I switch up if I'll keep my IAPs.

5. Raptisoft

It's just an update. But your iAPs should be safe anyway-- but if you're worried, go into settings and save everything to the Dark Cloud.

6. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #66 SumoSplash, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    Winning. Can't wait.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I never deleted Boneyard since i purchased it. Now it's getting a retina update. Thanks!

8. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México

Perfect! (y)
    Now to wait for SD! Because SB not calm down my momentum. u.u'

Tnks! Raptisoft! ;)

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Great news!

10. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
  11. Raptisoft

Still just waiting to be reviewed.

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Man, hurry up Apple! I'm dyin' here. Bone-Yard! Bone-Yard! Retina! Bone-Yard!

13. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    x.x'

14. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Rapti,

I don't know how I forgot to ask you this sooner, but I guess playing a round of Boneyard last night reminded me of it...

Why is the Flamelash so weak? Or I guess I should say, why does the Flamelash require SO MUCH to be strong while at the same time eats up so much mana? Do you personally think it is too weak?

It's strange because the plain Fireball by itself is way more powerful than the Flamelash, but the Flamelash is both the fireball AND lightning together, so you think it would be MORE powerful than the Fireball.

The Flamelash is easily one of my favorite weapons, but I often end up frustrated with how I boost everything I possible can--Channel Mana 4/4; Battle Mage 6/6; I use magical circle to aide it--but end up feeling like the other weapons are stronger while using less upgrades. I'll even use the 'Hardcore' perk to deal double damage, but no matter what the Flamelash is just too weak to me.

Let me know what you think!

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Welded weapon damage has weird effects in some cases. The welded magic's damage is not a simple combination of the component spells. It is some sort of weighted average. You should read up on the Raptisoft forums where you will find in depth discussions of optimal weld builds. There are very specific ways you should build up to your weld to achieve the right damage and efficiency (mana consumption). It's been a long while since I played, but I believe with flame lash, you just want to build your fireball skill and leave lightning at level 1. Not sure about that though. Plus things could have changed ;)

16. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Thanks for the response Royce.

However, I think I have done just about every combination of welds possible (I have played this game for many, MANY hours :D) and I do upgrade the fireball skills much higher than the lightning skills. It just seems that no matter what I do, the Flamelash is inherently weaker than what (I feel) it should be, and it uses A LOT of mana no matter how it is tweaked.

17. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    This really reminds me of Magicka on the PC :D
    always wanted a Magicka-type game :D

ETA soon?

18. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    More talk about SD! :C

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I can't friggin wait :D
    Raptisoft was easily one of my favorite iOS devs until I got my iPad, and then I sort of moved away from iPhone only titles. I have been waiting like a year, maybe more, for this game :)

20. Raptisoft

#80 Raptisoft, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    Oh, it's pretty simple-- there's just an algorithm that combines two skills-- they weren't hand balanced (they will be in Solomon Dark).

So what's happening is, it's putting in a fudge factor, because of the complication of combining constant-effect damage with single-fire damage. I don't remember the exact algorithm, but I know it gives the WEAKER of the spells more weight, so that you don't end up doing fireball-level damage every tenth of a second.

The general way to get around this is to keep Lightning and Fireball near eachother in level-- this will actually get you the most bang for the buck on flame lash. So, if you have level 8 fireball, try to weld with lightning somewhere near 8 too.

Caveat: I have been working on Solomon Dark for six months, and haven't touched Boneyard or Keep in even longer than that, so I might be giving you bad information here. But this is how I think I set it up.

Edit: I went and peeked at it, and it looks like you could go two routes-- ignore lightning altogether, and force the algo to simply do more damage from simple brute force on fireball, or keep them close to eachother.