Tiny Tower: Stuck on same stores

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stormjack, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Stormjack

Stormjack New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I've been playing Tiny Tower for several days. I've got 32 floors with the following distribution:
    4 Food
    3 Service
    3 Recreation
    4 Retail
    3 Creative
    12 Residential

My problem is that it always gives me the same stores, as follows:
    Food = BBQ
    Service = Recycling
    Recreation = Rock Climbing
    Retail = Auto Dealer
    Creative = Flower Shop

Residential is all different, with different apartment names. How can I get different shop names to show up, like the Coffee Shop or Sushi Bar?

One thread that I read online suggested emptying the shop, deleting it, and changing it. I've done that a couple of times, but it goes right back into the same shop types. And what's especially annoying about that is it takes a ton of time for the shop to be recreated. It's not a big deal when you first start playing, but on those higher floors it may take 12 or 14 hours to recreate the shop.

Do I just need to wait until I've got more floors?
    Has someone else experienced this problem?
    Thanks for your help.

2. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Are you saying that you have multiple copies of a particular store at the same time? I believe one of the TT devs has posted here in the past that this is not supposed to happen, so that would probably be worth reporting.

If the concern is just that you don't seem to be able to trade in an existing store for a different store within the same category, that's my experience as well. I believe the stores are stratified to some extent by tower height, so you are never really drawing from a completely random pool. Of course it's technically possible to replace a store with something else in the same category, but the chance of getting one of your previously-rejected stores back seems to be quite high. That's just the way it is.

This is a sad truth given that there are so many dogs in the food category especially. I think you just have to accept a certain burden/overhead of dogs and move on. You can't just refuse to build food establishments since that handicaps demand for the other store types.

3. Stormjack

Stormjack New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    #3 Stormjack, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    Yes, all I see are the exact same stores. Now, maybe I'm using this app a little differently than other people. But I just leave it running all the time in the background on my phone. Since it takes several hours for builds to complete, I just let it run.

To troubleshoot this I shut down Tiny Tower. Then I powered off my iPhone, and kept it off for several minutes. Then I restarted the iPhone and went to the App Store to download any updates. It downloaded the latest update. Then I opened Tiny Tower.

There was another bug, that another poster mentioned in the big Tiny Tower thread, related to painting the rooms. Plus there was a third bug that I had not seen before.

I don't remember the update number, but it was updated today. One difference that I noticed was that now when I choose to stock an item in a store, it no longer shows a confirmation prompt to stock the store. That's a great enhancement. Thanks to the dev team for that.

When I launched Tiny Tower this time, the paint that I had applied to the various apartments was changed. Not on all of them, but on some like the 50's Apts. and the Safari Apts. That's annoying, but not a killer problem.

What was very bad, was that my employed Bitizens were showing up in the apartments. These were employees working in the Auto, Recycle, BBQ, and Rock Climbing businesses.

To work around this, I went into each apartment and assigned each employee to having No Job. Then I assigned that Bitizen back to his or her original job. Now it doesn't give a Tower Bux for reassigning someone to their dream job after they worked there (which is right). But the fact that 8 or 10 employed Bitizens were showing up in their apartments was definitely buggy.

That still left a question in my mind. Did the employed Bitizens start appearing in their apartments as a result of the Upgrade? Or was that due to closing and reopening the Tiny Tower app.

So I just shut down Tiny Tower. Then reopened it. And guess what? 17 Bitizens are in their apartments. Prior to closing the application there was just 1 Bitizen in an apartment, and she doesn't have a job. The rest of these have a job.

Painted apartments kept their paint colors this time. Right now I've got 2 persistent bugs with my copy of Tiny Tower, and one that I can't consistently replicate.
    1. Employed Bitizens appear in their apartments when I close and reopen Tiny Tower. (persistent)
    2. The only shops that appear for me are BBQ, Auto, Recycling, Flowers, and Rock Climbing. (persistent)
    3. Custom apartment paint colors change after closing and reopening Tiny Tower. (inconsistent)

Where should I officially report the bugs?

4. Stormjack

Stormjack New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm open to deleting my copy of Tiny Tower and downloading a fresh copy. It would be a bummer though. Right now I've got 32 levels and am within 65 Tower Bux of getting the Ultra-Lift 3000 Extreme elevator.

5. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    As long as it's synced with your GameCenter you can restore your tower.

6. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I believe that employees appearing at home some of the time is the intended behavior - they're not at work 24/7.

Other issues can be reported here.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is it not obvious that bitizens will appear in the apartments they live in? As for the businesses, unless you're actually getting duplicates (e.g. two of the same business existing at the same time) then just move on.

No need for that either. Time will advance if you shut it down completely.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    #8 New England Gamer, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    You could join the discussion in the main Tiny Towers thread. The devs pop in and out of there all the time.

As to your bugs:

1. Not a bug, employees are allowed to go home
    2. In that thread I mentioned someone else had that same problem. Nimblebit's suggestion was to delete the duplicate floor and try to build something else on that floor
    3. Happens to others too

Here, I will be nice and I found the link for you: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=98170

9. Godaime

Godaime Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    My experience/theory is that at a certain amount of floors, only certain shops will appear, like i was building retail, and a bike shop kept appearing, kept destroying, for it to be built again, it wasn't until i got from like 50-60 that it changed to another store? so i guess it might have something to do with your tower size. I'm at 107 floors so now I'm getting more variegated floors.

10. Stormjack

Stormjack New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's great to know I can turn the app off and it will still progress. This is a quick breakdown of the floors that I currently have:
    12 Residential (all different names).
    4 BBQ Restaurants
    4 Auto Dealers
    4 Recycling
    3 Flower Shops
    4 Rock Climbing
    Building 2 Residential
    Building 1 Creative

50 more Tower Bux and I'll have the Ultra-Lift 3000 Extreme.

After my last post, I noticed that a few Bitizens that took residence started having dream jobs that were different from the other jobs. Previously all the Bitizens had a dream job that aligned with one of the 5 shop types above.

New dream jobs that just started showing up include Game Store, Day Spa, and Theater. When construction completes on the Creative (under 2 hours to go) I'll see if that's different from the Flower Shop.

That the Bitizens are presenting new dream jobs seems to indicate that this issue may be fixed.

Thanks for letting me know that the employed Bitizens will show up in their apartments. The previous behavior that I observed is that once a Bitizen was given a job, that Bitizen never showed up in the apartment. This observation was based on several days of play, so I just assumed that once someone had a job they only appeared at the job.

This is a cool game. Thanks for everyone's help.