iPhone Tech Talk World Tour 2009! Free for Devs!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Oct 20, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I just thought I would let everyone know. Apple is hosting events for iPhone devs. All the events are free! If you are a dev you should get an email. Register now!

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I don't know, I feel like going, but I don't know about it....

Are any videos going to be put online?

3. I signed up for the Toronto event. Sounds like a really good learning/networking opportunity.

4. #4 Broken Thumbs Apps, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Spaces filling up quickly...

According to Apple's official site (http://developer.apple.com/events/iphone/techtalks/), the tech talk is already full in San Jose, New York, London and Tokyo. Spaces are still available in Seattle, Toronto, Paris, Hamburg and Beijing, but I bet they'll be filled up soon as well.

Did anyone who signed up already receive confirmation that they get to attend? Signed up yesterday, but still waiting to hear back.

-Scott
    http://brokenthumbsapps.com

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    That's one mail I wish I'd responded to first thing this morning...

6. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You signed up for Toronto! Me too :D I guess I'll see you there then :D

7. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    Signed up for Toronto as soon as I got the mail. I hope they let me in.

8. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I am not sure if I should go, Seattle is still open and I am in Portland. Not too bad of a drive, but I am crazy busy. Is there a specific theme (obviously iPhone Development) or just general iPhone Dev talk?

9. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    I went to the Toronto event last year and it was excellent. I made the trek from NY to Toronto just to attend the event and thought it was worth the time and money. This time I managed to sign up before the NY event showed full. I hope I don't have to make the trip to toronto again this year...

10. At least Apple says in the FAQs for the Tech Talk that the content is not under an NDA: "All information presented during the iPhone Tech Talk World Tour is public information and based on the current released versions of iPhone OS 3.0 and the iPhone OS 3.0 SDK."

And, Apple suggests that developers bring their laptops and iPhones, so I think there will be some nice write-ups and summaries of the day's events/content, some in real-time. Maybe people will use Twitter to take notes and post to #iphonetour2009 or something similar, so others can search for it.

11. travisdunn

travisdunn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    I registered and hope to be attending the talk in Hamburg. No response yet, but a friend of mine got his confirmation within 24 hours. I've been waiting longer than that, though.

Well, if anybody else around here finds their way to Hamburg I'd be glad to meet up. And, as BTA suggested, I definitely plan on blogging about the experience.

12. Confirmation received

As an update, just received confirmation via email for the San Jose location, three days after I initially signed up. Hope others were able to get into their desired locations as well.

13. ethanwa

ethanwa Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    A friend of mine who also develops and I just got accepted at Seattle! Excited to go next week to learn a few new things.

14. Nice, I'm excited too. It seems like it'll be good to go with others, in part so you can cover different sessions going on during the same time slot and then compare notes.

15. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    We signed up for NY as soon as we got the email, but haven't heard back whether we're on their list. If we don't get in, hopefully the resources will be made available online!

16. travisdunn

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    Well, I just attended the talks this Friday and posted my notes and some commentary on my blog: Hamburg iPhone Tech Talk 2009. I quite enjoyed it, and especially commend the service for keeping the coffee flowing uninterrupted.

Overall I think the talks did a good job at presenting to the diversity of attending developers, and I came away from all of them with at least one valuable facet of knowledge I could apply, be it in app design or the App Store or technical implementation or tips on using the developer tools.

I'll also say that, at least in Hamburg, the audience seemed composed of developers with nary a suit in sight.

17. Thanks for the detailed impressions! I just got my confirmation for the Toronto talk today, so it'll help me plan out which to attend.

18. travisdunn

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    Thanks. It was well worth my time, and I can easily see myself going to the next Tech Talks Apples holds. Ought to be a lot of fun in Toronto, and I hope you guys are as well-catered as the Hamburg event. :)

19. cando

cando Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    can we be bring a buddy with us?
    I wanted to take my developer with me to the conference.

20. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    Yay! I got my confirmation email for Toronto Dec 3rd. Who else is going?