The new iPad

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aztlan.Games, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Aztlan.Games

Aztlan.Games Well-Known Member

Hi folks!

Are some of you already working on supporting the new iPad?

I have decided to give it a try for my upcoming game Tesla Overdrive. I think this should be fairly easy.

What is your opinion?

2. mer10

mer10 New Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Not yet. I want one in my hands before I start working on supporting the new iPad.

3. Aztlan.Games

Well, I had a "first try" yesterday after upgrading my devices and XCode. I was quite excited to have a first look at the new-iPad-simulator, which proved to be even more unhadily then the previous simulators :D As expected, my iMac's resolution is a serious obstacle here and scrolling the display of the simulator is not an option with fast-paced gameplay.

But it seems to me, if we developers have our texture-filenames right, everything should work immediately and like a charm.

The only thing that bothers me is a question which still remains unanswered to me: did Apple increase the maximum texture size to 4096*4096 or even beyond? Any clues?

4. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#4 blitter, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    How I would love to get my GPU-hands on one! Yes I'm quite sure it's 4096² though I can't think where I heard this. Also I am certainly not concerned about performance lol, regardless of what others might think!!

5. mer10

mer10 New Member

Feb 8, 2012
    I'm curious about the same thing. Hopefully yes.

6. Aztlan.Games

That would make things easier, I guess.

7. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    We are currently (and have been already) developing our next game to support the new higher resolution screen.

It was a HUGE relief to see the download limit bumped up to 50MB because that was proving to be quite a challenge given the massive assets that are required.

8. FunInfusedGames

FunInfusedGames Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Game Developer
    Madison, WI
    I do mostly retro looking games as Universal apps, so at this time I'm not planning anything new for the new iPad. Though I think I will pick one up, I need to be able to capture video of my games (the emulator runs like crap on my Mac) and I've heard iPads (not sure if all models though) have HDMI out capabilities.

9. blitter

Lol just read the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S handle 4096x4096 textures.

10. 4096*4096? Woo, that's some crazy size to work with.

11. wj98

wj98 New Member

Feb 9, 2010
    4096² rgba texture is ok on the new iPad? Great!

12. blitter

Yes and 4096x4096x4 is also apparently available on iPad 2 (and 4S, as mentioned)...

I will get a tester to confirm this. Hey you know how some gamers want everything for 99 cents? Well as a developer who pays Apple 99 *bucks* I want a free pass to the Apple Shop, a bunch of iTunes cards..and unlimited updates I mean warranty. In fact why not for free, might as well just abandon money entirely...;-)

Returning back to reality...even the iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS allow *8* textures to be loaded simultaneously (switchable within shader code) each 2048x2048...I've not yet filled that much, though I have new ideas. I think this is the way...complete new ideas on what to do with so much geometry yet alone texture space available.

13. Aztlan.Games

I am well prepared and ready to compile, run and test on 16th.

14. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Me too!

15. FeNoMeN

FeNoMeN Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    i will not change my ipad2 for the new ipad,not to many awesome thing that i expected...waiting for ipad3 or ipad4 :cool:

16. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Just tried Topia and it runs at 2FPS in iPad Retina simulation. To be honest I'm surprised it's that fast as iPhone non-retina only runs at 20FPS and iPAd retina is over 20x the pixels!

This will be a non issue on the device of course as long it's twice as fast at filling pixels as iPad2. Topia easily makes a solid 30 on iPad2.

17. Aztlan.Games

Well, for me the iPad-Retina-simulation is useless ;) I could use it only to test if the game works at all. The lack of performance rendered the whole thing unsatisfying.

Three days left...

18. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I wasn't expecting it to be useful for anything other than seeing how the game handled the extra pixels. The sim hasn't been useful for anything other than debugging a recorded game of Topia since the project started. The cut down 'iPad1' shaders running on the non-retina iPhone sim gets a maximum of 20FPS and even then is not actually playable because the game relies on multitouch. This is on an i7 macbook pro, my faster but older i7 iMac isn't much better.

I assume it's because the simulator uses software emulated shaders.

I'm always amazed when I see videos made in the simulator on Youtube. I guess emulation of simple fixed shaders was much better.

19. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Will siri come to the new iPad? I know its not there the 16th but i mean with ios 6 for example.