Universal Defender Chronicles II: Heroes of Athelia (By Gimka Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

1. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    They must be equipped to the character for them to gain the effect. I generally use the inventory for holding accessories I like to switch between characters.

2. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #662 dib, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    I am calling BS on the claim this game was tested. There is no conceivable way that one other person played this game during development and missed the fact that their entire inventory system is a mess. Their decision to farm money in the second game by dumping crappy equipment on the player after every stage, coupled with the unintuitive selling process.

So we'll load up six items at a time. Switch to a store screen. Drag them around, but only to specific parts over other icons. Prompt to sell. Repeat five more times. Return to storage. Load the next six. Oh, and we'll make the navigation buttons as difficult as possible to register a simple tap.

Somehow this tedium escaped the view of every single person purported to play it. There is no way, and Gimka must think we are stupid.

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Update the game. They changed that in v1.1 for Legend and beyond.

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    However, it's entirely conceivable no one cares as much as you.

You only get one item per mission, right? So you have to sell six items every hour of play, maybe? I agree the inventory management could be a lot better, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment that much.

5. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Yes the inventory system is terrible but not game-breaking. It just adds to the already horrendous amount of grind.
    It's simple, only people who won't mind excessive grind likes this game to start with. And those people won't mind going to storage, take out only 6 items, manually drag one item at a time (since there's no sell button), close the window, go back to storage, and repeat.
    Anyways it's a valid suggestion. I'd totally like the game more if it had a list-style inventory system like Skyrim, with a small picture icon, and small "sell" button next to it. The store page should be linked to your storage. This is not an RPG where you need to consider "carrying weight", because you can't walk around in this game, it's a tower defense game. By making a "storage" or "stash" (Diablo?), you're not making the game more RPG like, you're just making it more tedious. The storage window should't even be there I think, everything should just be in a list in the "hero" page.

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    This game is my fav tower defense I can this lasting many hours.

7. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #667 dib, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    Spend a half hour clearing fourteen pages of virtual junk, then come back and tell us.

How about not tying their game balance and income to tedious virtual chores of selling stuff after every battle? How about they just increase the amount of money and let people buy their own shit?

That's like if one's job paid in cans, which had to be delivered to recycling and individually placed into a bin before it could be changed for the paycheck they should have received in the first place. It's ��������ing stupid.

Since most of the game consists of attempting to just _unlock_ legendary, that's little consolation. No more than reprinting the same instructions at the start of umpteen stages. As I said, I'm now skeptical they ever tested this game. These are people who clearly do not understand how anyone is playing it, and it is dubious to claim that nobody would have pointed out "hey, what if your entire inventory-items-rewards-balance system didn't suck?"

8. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You don't like it. Nevertheless, it's not inconceivable or even unlikely that many people enjoy the game mechanism of accumulating items and selling them for resources to buy other items or unlock features. I would have designed it more like Chopin says. But I can understand how different people make different choices.

9. November's Chopin

Jul 11, 2010
    Um no. Sometimes you find rare items after battle, why would you remove that and convert it to cash only? If you remove that, then finding rare items in this game is matter of refreshing the store a million times.
    Anyways I don't even know why your post sounds like it's attacking mine. If you read my post carefully I'm actually agreeing to your suggestion. Maybe your posts will be taken more seriously if they sound more civilized. :rolleyes:

10. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    14 pages? Why would you want to collect 14 pages worth? That's 140 levels! I sell all the stuff I don't want much more frequently than that, so it doesn't feel like a chore.

11. joydiv

joydiv Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Med Student
    Lisbon
    Dib's argument is, in its essence, entirely accurate (though his wording leaves something to be desired). From an ergonomic point of view the UI in this game is, simply, abhorrent. The inventory is probably the most unintuitive I've ever seen (I actually had to search the forums extensively before understanding how items are sold in this game - and I still find it incredible someone could conceive such an archaic and limiting way of accomplishing such a fundamental task). If only that were the only complain I had regarding this game...

Restart level button - absent - isn't it much more fun to press "abandon quest", see the "forces of evil" dialog box (for the millionth time), select the level you wish to retry, see another dialog box pertaining to the story of said level, and at last brush up your knowledge through in game instructions before being presented with the beautiful pan and zoom animation? Isn't it?? Sigh...

Following what I just wrote - ability to turn off the instructions/comics/pan and zoom animation at the beginning of every single level OFF - absent

iCloud - absent. I hear the developers saying they are being extra careful and making sure they "do it just right" so that people don't lose their saved games. Who's willing to bet that when they finally add it, the execution will be disastrous for some? I still remember update 1.1 adding a "win button" which some people pressed by accident therefore ruining their save. Ridiculous.

But, you know what's much more critical than all that? A new, shinier difficulty dialog box - added in 1.1.1. Yeah that's right, that's what every player was clamoring for...

To conclude: I too believe that if this game had been beta tested and properly so, most of these problems wouldn't have surfaced. But, of course, it wasn't.

(excuse the rant, but this game as you can see really annoys me. So much potential gone to waste)

12. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Wish I knew this before I dipped in. But oh well, I had my fair share of fun before I realized it was a grindfest.

13. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I do like the new difficulty dialog box. :)

The idea that some issues could be "removed by testing" strikes me as a non sequitur. Testing can't remove problems, only development can remove problems. If they haven't changed the things you don't like even after complaints from people who don't like them, what makes you think they would have changed those things if testers didn't like them? I think you just have to face the fact that designers aren't always going to make the decisions that you or I would prefer.

14. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    How do I unlock a paliden I need one to kil a enemy.

15. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok I give up how do I destroy the big ice golems in stone break, I'm in novice and I can't even damage them.. That's the only thing I can't do on that lvl to get 3 stars...

16. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    For enemies with lots of armor, you need a high attack value or you can't even damage them. Have you looked at the unit values in the Academy? Dwarves are one relatively cheap way to do a lot of damage. Or high level mages.

17. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Is there a chance I need to play more lvls and lvl up more before I can 3 star a novice lvl for stone break? Almost seems impossible to 3 star novice on that lvl right from the getgo..

I just thought novice ment so easy it's to easy, I was wrong I'm not complaining I like the challenge I just don't see how anyone could 3 star that lvl just from beating the first few lvls. So I guess I comeback later then? And beat the other levels?

18. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I haven't played on Novice, I don't think you "need" to, but I definitely think it's easier to play through all of the levels even if you don't get "perfect" completions, and then go back to them later once you have more stuff unlocked and more levels.

19. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok will do that first thanks.

20. November's Chopin

Jul 11, 2010
    #680 November's Chopin, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    The main strategy for most levels (1 or 2 levels exception) is to not build a ton of low level guilds, but rather build very few high level guilds. On novice you'll definitely have enough money to build at least 1-2 high level mage guilds, then make sure to put a high level square guild right beside them to trap the golem for the mages to shoot at it, otherwise the golem will walk right through the mage guilds taking little damage. All heroes except the archer will be able to significantly damage the golems.
    These are the guilds that do any damage to boss golems:
    - Maxed out cavalier (very expensive and not good choice)
    - Lvl5 mage (tiny bit of damage but cheap)
    - Maxed out knight (very expensive and not good choice)
    - Champion: archmage
    - Champion: captain
    - Lvl 3+ dwarf
    - Wizard (good choice)