Temp Rules: No Promo Code Promotions from Non-Devs

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Jan 13, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    While we sort out this promo code issue, for now, I'm asking people stop doing promo code promotions for apps unless you are the developer.

These seem to be the biggest "spam" issue and we probably will allow it to some degree once we get the forum in place.

Sorry this is going in slow motion, I'm traveling, so it's harder to keep track of things. I'll try to get it addressed later tonight.

One thing I'd like to remind people is we have a very strict policy about no site/blog promotion. That also includes your twitter accounts, etc. It's always subject to abuse and spam, so we just don't allow it.

Clarification: To post Promo code giveaways you need to be the actual developer (or a full time employee of the company). You can't be just associated with or acting on the behalf of the developer.

arn

2. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    all right arn.

thanks for the explanation. that was all i really needed. keep us posted on what the permanent rules are.

3. I've been asked about developers giving links to their games site (say if they are announcing a new game and give the site link along with the app store link).

When you say "a very strict policy about no site/blog promotion" this needs to be clear wether that includes the above too.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I thought the rules said that you could put up your Twitter account in your signature, but no spamming it?

I'm sorry if this is incorrect, and I'll take mine out if I need to - but, I thought that we were allowed to keep it there as long as we we didn't draw attention to it/talk about it. (Basically, I thought we were allowed to leave it in our signature, but not much else)

5. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Devs are allowed to promote their games and own sites.

Yep. People can post their blogs, twitter accounts or whatever in their sigs within reason.

By site promotion spamming I'm talking about people who repeatedly post threads for the purpose of linking to their site.

arn

6. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

7. Thanks.

8. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    arn; i agree with u but the biggest "spam" r spore codes. they gave out 200 codes. i think there should be ONE thread for all the spore codes. that will solve most of the issue

9. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Darn. I thought my contest was pretty good.

10. At least your one brought a smile to my face- I'll give you that.

11. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Well, this would be something that falls on the "common sense" category but common sense is not that common haha. Now if you can implement my second idea then this forum will be a better place...

12. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Hmm.. I like those ideas. To be honest, I think this is the first time I've seen you being serious about helping with the forums. :D

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    kinda off topic..but i was curious. why was {Klondike} banned?

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

yeah, i wanna know too...

15. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Duly noted. I've been guilty of this in the past, didn't realise I was breaking the rules. Would be great if there was somewhere on TA we could let readers know about giveaways though. Anyway, sorry again.

16. lfg_grace

lfg_grace Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Low Five Games - underling #1
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi Arn,

I would like to conduct a promo code contest for The Horrible Vikings that MidianGTX is allowed to control. Why? He amuses me immensely. :p But also, I like the idea of TA players and fans becoming involved with our games in a personal way. Anyway, I would start the thread, distribute the promo codes, and have the guidelines clearly laid out. But Midian would be allowed to shape the nature of the contest (whatever his wacky brain thinks of. Posting photos of alligators fighting pythons? Who knows.) and he would be allowed to choose the winners. Also, I would make sure that everything is appropriate (we don't want it to reflect badly on us after all!).

Would this violate Touch Arcade's rules? I would appreciate some clarification. Thank you!

17. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Hey Grace, I think you're fine because John, Battle for Vesta dev, is running an icon contest that was created by da shiz and is being judged by him too.

18. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Seems ok, as long as the contest stays contained to a single thread, and is not a promotional vehicle for outside sites/twitter accounts etc...

arn

19. lfg_grace

lfg_grace Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Low Five Games - underling #1
    San Francisco, CA
    Thank you Arn. Welcome back from CES. :)

20. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    Hey arn why is this a temporary rule? will it be lifted? I got timed out for doing this...