★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
wow, cool find. I hope it can be used for other stuff too.
shhhhhhoooshhhh!

04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
And me. I wanna go back even further and get more Spectrum/Commodore 64 style games. Some of the platformers on those were pure genius. Such timing, and every screen a new variation in platform and enemy layout.
Hey Midian...do remeber the name of an awesome C-64 platformer in which you played a Wizard? I think it was called Ultimate something or other...though I think that was just the name of an expanded ersion with more levels, which I had.

The jumpman series were all time greats. I also remember a game which gave me fits; you had to steal a treasure from Aztecs, or something along that line, going through stages that played completely differently. I recall the first stage had you running towards a pyramid avoid arrows and spears, the second stage you climbed up the pyramid avoiding obstacles, etc.
04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I also remember a game which gave me fits; you had to steal a treasure from Aztecs, or something along that line, going through stages that played completely differently. I recall the first stage had you running towards a pyramid avoid arrows and spears, the second stage you climbed up the pyramid avoiding obstacles, etc.
Montezuma's Revenge?
http://youtu.be/4rNe6-IMZLc
04-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Ooohhh, yeah. What was the Japanese name for the Masrer System then? Also, didn't Metal Gear originate on the MSX? Was it more computer or more console?
Yup, Metal Gear 1 was originally released on MSX. it was a full fledged computer but with close to NES-like games (especially MSX2, an upgrade).

Master System had the same name all over (although the first one was called Mark III on Japan), the Sega Genesis was known as Mega Drive in Japan and I believe the rest of the world (here in Brazil at least it was always Mega Drive).
04-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Very interesting might try it later
04-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
Yup, Metal Gear 1 was originally released on MSX. it was a full fledged computer but with close to NES-like games (especially MSX2, an upgrade).

Master System had the same name all over (although the first one was called Mark III on Japan), the Sega Genesis was known as Mega Drive in Japan and I believe the rest of the world (here in Brazil at least it was always Mega Drive).
Thanks kioshi. Trying to recall the different regional names older computers/consoles went by is almost as difficult as remembering which american Final Fantasy corresponds to its Japanese version..at least for me.