Private Developers Forum

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gerball, May 29, 2012.

1. gerball

gerball Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I applied to be in this forum a month ago but it still hasn't been approved by a 'group leader'. How long is the normal waiting time??

2. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Are we even sure those forums are still active?

Matthew

3. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

This is still active.

I think you should show something to prove that you're really a developer.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Seems like it took me a few months to get in, I think it just depends on how busy the Mods are. That forum is fairy inactive though, I did it for the icon.

5. antony.thai

Oh, I only know it now that you're also a developer... :confused:

Yes, it seems the devs are not around here anymore.

6. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I applied like a year ago and still got no reply. I wonder if you get some kind of a message if the mods deny access to the dev forums.

7. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

I want my icon!!

I don't care if the forums are inactive.

I want my icon!!! lol

Matthew

8. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There are plenty of devs here, but we/they usually hang out at other forums to discuss development...meaning that the Unity guys hang out at the Unity3D website, Game Salad-ers probably hang out there, etc. Plenty still participate in the general forums here at TA as well, of course.

Last time I checked, the private dev forum here was getting maybe one post per week. You're not missing much ;) The public dev forum though is somewhat active, although conversations are usually more general.

Now about that icon...ya that's cool! I tried to get one for Dave but no reply. As I recall, Dave puts his own icon at the top of a lot of his posts anyways lol.

Edit:
    I kinda wish I could change my user name. I wasn't a dev when I started posting here.

9. antony.thai

Some forum allows special user to do that but I guess they've to ask the mod helping on that. I want to change my user name too.

10. I got mine in a few days. I think most likely if you don't prove or behave like a developer here you will just be ignored.

11. gerball

gerball Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I posted a link to my game in my request - it's funnily enough called gerball :) It was featured by Apple and reached the top 10 kids charts, so I think that should be enough to qualify.

12. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yes, the private forums are still active. Traffic in them is low, but they exist for those who wish to keep certain things out of public view.

As for private forum access approvals- I normally handle all of them (the mods only occasionally look at them), but I've been traveling on business most of April and May. I just started to catch up on the queue over this past week... Sorry that it's been a long wait :)

People who have a completed game in the App Store as well as some posting history here on TA in the public forums, and their game threads get priority as I spot them in the list. The rest I have to manually research or simply reject until there is new evidence that supports the request.

The vBulletin system will not notify you of acceptance or rejection unfortunately, so anyone who's waiting for approval should just try to click into the private forum occasionally to see. I'll try to hurry up through the remaining 50 people :D

13. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    I just applied to the group. Seems like I didnt do it properly the first time as it didnt request a reason to join :D doh!

14. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Note also that after you get accepted you have to manually change your group to Developer in User CP | Group Memberships.

You then show up as a Developer and you get the added bonus of "going bold".

This is obvious when you know about it, but maybe it isn't given the number of devs I see who aren't bold and still only show up as a 'Senior Member'.

15. MHille

MHille Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info DemonJim.

Just a quick note to people waiting. Check again you might have been accepted and just not noticed, like ME :).

Matthew

16. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Haven't been accepted :(
    Notorious for opening game threads without having them released. Dang, I knew that was critical :D

17. RodrigoCard

RodrigoCard Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I Also applied. Not sure if I could, since do not have any game published, for now... I am doing one.
    but I have two gaming related utilities published on MAC app store. Does it count? :confused: