Apple iOS 7.1 Update Adds CarPlay, Fixes 'White Screen of Death'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by henryfakesmile, Mar 10, 2014.

1. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    :eek:i actually kind of fond of the white screen of death... consider it a quick reboot and release of those occupied ram usage ,,,,:eek:

updated all my iPad air / 4 / iPhone 4 / 5 , everything works great

2. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Only good news here from the update - seems a bit faster and fixed a few gripes I had since iOS 7. Woohoo!

3. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    How do we activate that magic?

Still haven't updated

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It's supposed to improve performance on iPhone 4. Has anyone noticed a big improvement? That might get me to update even though it means not being able to jailbreak. :(

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What's with the bold letters on the keyboard? The update notes say the bold text accessibility option now includes the keyboard, but I don't have it turned on and it's definitely thicker than it used to be.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Just remembered that it's already too late for my iPhone. Forgot that they stopped signing old versions so I can't do a restore (which apparently I have to do to jailbreak since I did an OTA update to 7.0.6). So might as well update to 7.1 and hope they jailbreak that fairly quickly. Or maybe I should just say F it and try jail breaking the OTA updated iPhone 4 anyway, then restore if that fails. I suppose I'll do that first. No harm in it, I don't think. Worst case I have to restore which I was going to do anyway when I thought about jail breaking.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Worth updating?

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Anyone actually seeing significantly improved performance on iPhone 4?

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well I decided to update (OTA) and ended up in an endless boot loop. :( Now I'm trying a restore.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well that was a painful update, but I finally got it working. I had to restore a 2nd time because the first time I did the setup via iTunes and that doesn't give the option to restore from iCloud (why not?) and then I found that the Erase Content & Settings seemed to be broken - I could not get it to work. So I had to restore a 2nd time and then not do anything past that via iTunes. Disconnected it when it wanted to set it up, then set it up on the phone itself.

So anyway, I do think there is a significant improvement in performance on the iPhone 4. That makes the trouble, and lack of jailbreak (for now) worth it. My iPhone 4 is going to be much more livable, I think.

11. hotpotty

hotpotty Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Australia
    #11 hotpotty, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Game Center

Perchance, is anybody else getting a weird glitch/bug/annoyance with GC - where it will randomly seem like it has signed you out mid-game, and every second, third or fourth time opening the app, just present you with a blank white screen - with the only fix being to either ignore GC (no achievements will unlock nor scores upload though) or force reset?

This has only been happening since iOS 7.1 - hence the post to THIS thread. Sorry if wrong!

Annoys me. iPhone 5s; 7.1.

12. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    This is a problem I've noticed as well.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes, battery life is substantially worse. However I improved it by turning off Push email (which honestly I don't really like anyway - most of what I get is junk mail)! I also turned off background updates for apps I don't care about. Together those seemed to improve the battery life. There must be a bug with push or background updates.

And on the other hand, my iPhone 4 is so much more responsive with 7.1. Totally worth the trouble.