iOS 6 Gaming Impressions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JBRUU, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #1 JBRUU, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Alright guys, iOS 6 just came out. Any of you updated yet and tried that particularly troublesome game with the low framerate or that other one that always crashed? Any noticable differences with gaming on the new OS? Any games (or apps in general) that you want to let us know about that are not compatible with iOS 6? This is the place.

I've heard from a few people that, for instance, the Walking Dead doesn't stutter as much on iOS 6 beta. Can anyone confirm? If this is true, that means that apple did some heavy optimizing, which is GREAT since iOS 5 didn't run so well, especially on my old itouch 4.

Mods: should this be in the lounge or general discussion? I really wasn't sure.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I really hope iOS 6 will make things better for my iPod... Updating... Hope I don't screw up...

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wait aren't you jailbroken? Sure you wanna lose the JB? I'm not updating yet cause I'm not so sure it's worth it yet...

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh yeah forgot about that! *facepalm*

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah I'm actually waiting for some impressions and signs of bugs. On the other hand, I really want Siri and the 3d maps and the Facebook integration. And the potentially more optimized gaming.

6. Any games that won't work with ios 6?

7. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    The guardian cross works but crashes and is slower that's all I know

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I don't see anything in this update that makes me really wanna update... Probably just hold off until I get a new 5th gen... it'll have iOS 6 anyways, lol.

9. simmolick

simmolick Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Animation Boss
    Spain
    Hi everyone, after update my iPod touch 4g in iOS 6 Game Center always crash, any body can help?
    Thanks a lot

10. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Not really all that great of an update wish I would held off most of it goes to iPad anyway touch gets nothing much but bs

11. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #11 EightRooks, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Okay... my iTouch 4G has been sitting on the last notch of "Preparing update" for the past twenty minutes. So it's looking increasingly like I've screwed my iPod, unless I want to run iOS 4 forever. So that's nice. :(

(And this is the second time I've tried the update, since it did the same thing the first time and wouldn't cancel, so all I could do was a factory reset. Yeah. Doesn't put me in the best of moods. Oh well.)

EDIT: And of course as soon as I post that it finishes, thank Christ. I'll take the embarassment if it actually works. Still, that took forever.

12. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    hmm...can't see many differences after the update in gaming (but some in general and they are good ones)

13. chattycathy

chattycathy Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Anyone else having problems updating? On my iPad 2, the update downloaded and installed, but in the set up part, it won't connect to wi-fi. Or rather, it connect, brings me to a "Page not found" on the Apple website, and disconnects. :( And I forgot to do a backup too... :(

14. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    I had the exact same experience with my ipod touch 4, right down to the weird log in apple page not found. I just stayed on that wifi set-up page and kept retrying (tapping on my network) until the wifi finally stuck around for the rest of the set-up process.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #15 Rip73, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Hard reset worked for me after the update.

Hard Reset:
    Try the hard reset your iOS device by following these steps:
    Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds, or until the screen goes blank.
    Immediately release both buttons.
    Hold power button until the Apple logo appears.
    When the device restarts, try to locate and join the Wi-Fi network again.

Setting http proxy to auto in your wifi network details in wifi settings on device is another fix

There are more different options that have worked for others. Just search "how to fix wifi connectivity issue after upgrading to iOS 6" (exact term brings up most relevant results) brings up a lot of articles and read the comments underneath any article for alternative fixes.

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, if you have a device with GPS, I'de say turn by turn navigation and a "real" map app is pretty significant. That means I could lose the Magellan I keep in my car (well...probably not, it has a 5 inch screen which is pretty handy).

The 3 other significant updates for ME that I can think of off of the top of my head is built in Read It Later style functionality, an email box for flagged mails, and full screen Safari.

Having said that, I'll most likely wait a bit. The beta was not perfect, so I fully expect an incremental 6.1 or 6.01 update within a couple months.

17. chattycathy

chattycathy Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Yeah, I got it to work too after a while.

18. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    In terms of gaming I can't tell any difference aside from Gamecenter app crashing.

The new app store also always crash on my when I try to browse the list of apps in the charts tab. Its nice now that we can start downloading apps without getting kicked to the home screen.

19. gamergirl2785

gamergirl2785 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2012
    My iPad 2 wouldn't connect to wifi either finally after turning it all the way off and on again it worked....

20. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    I had the same problem with the last fraction of the download taking 20+ mins but I waited and it finished

My problem NOW is Game Center crashes and refuses to load and Genius in the App Store crashes that app too... What the fuzz!?? What can I do about this and is any1 experiencing the same bs as me?