Universal Demon's Rise (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 20, 2015.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, if you could all please take a few minutes to update your review, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, price has been increased to match that of Demon's Rise 2. I figured there's no real reason for DR1 to be cheaper than DR2.

3. sparekarma

sparekarma Active Member

Looking forward to updating this evening and checking out the updated animations on the half giant (one of my go to guys), thanks for the continued support, and love the new icon!

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I really like them. They are used heavily in the next Demon's Rise game (Temple of Shadows) and I figured they will work well for the half giant.

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    When in combat, unless I am totally mistaken, the characters level is not shown anywhere.
    This information is really needed for skills that have a dependance on the characters level.

Skills such as for example;

illusionist - Mind Ravager
    ranger - Poison Shot, Natures Rebirth
    dragon hunter - Resolute Courage

The damage or the buff done by these skills depends on the characters level. Without knowing the characters level you have no idea what range it will be.

One other thing.
    It would be nice to have a window or submenu showing each characters skill. Maybe just like the window you get when first selecting each character for your team setup.
    This would allow the player to have a far better synergy between skills and items.
    The most handy place to have skills shown would be in the Merchants window or perhaps the Manage Items window.
    The only way currently to know what skills a character has is to actually go into combat where you are of coarse unable to change your item setup.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling for my day job in the US last week.

That's a valid point. I'll add it in there somewhere.

Yeah, that should be possible too. The unit summary window is actually in that screen, it's just hidden by default. I'll have to think about the best way to bring it up. The store is really tight on screen space so I'll have to bring it up as a window above other screens or something.

7. sparekarma

sparekarma Active Member

#1507 sparekarma, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    On level 28 how do I open the gate? False alarm, Figured it out...just needed a little patience :)

8. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #1508 stubbieoz, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Two stats I would like to see, expecially in the merchants screen.
    Total Counter Attacks Per Turn and
    Total Sight Range.

Currently when I see an item for sale that has either of those stats I have to click on every item the character is currently wearing to total up those stats in my head to then see if I want to buy the item.

edit;
    I don't understand.....level 35 is the final dungeon? Is that correct?

I got no..."ta da!" or "hip hip hooray!"

What am I missing?

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Good point ... I'll add those as well.

Yeah, there isn't much of an ending clip. I should probably add something as opposed to some text that basically says "good job". Demon's Rise 2 has a pretty cool ending action clip with a huge black dragon flying through a portal that opens up in the air above it, as the main villain collapses in a bloody heap. I should go back and do something similar for Demon's Rise 1. On the list.

10. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I think I even missed the "good jod" message lol.
    Anyway it was a great game and I finally finished the campaign after countless early runs with different teams.
    In the end I had the Half Giant, Dragon Hunter, Halfling, Archer, Ranger and Illusionist.
    All the team pulled their weight though the Illusionist was the weakest link. Her Mind Control (which I mainly took her along for) simply failed too often on tougher enemies.
    The surprise member was the little Halfling fella. His range attacked almost hit 100% of the time and his ability to make gold appear was most welcome when it was time to go shopping.

Two things I noticed.

The music in level 29 was way too loud and was still heard even at the zero setting. I think it is the same theme used in level 32 taking the "Pursue Ghouls" route, though it was not as loud but still required lowering the setting. Might want to check what is going on there.

Also the level numbering skips level 30 for some reason. I originally thought it might have had something to do with the level where you have a choice of path to take but that doesnt appear until level 32.

Anyway now I can remove DR1 to make way for DR2 (even at 128gig I don't have enough space for all my games!)
    Looking really forward to playing on the dark side. #

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Congrats on making it through to the end. The Mind Control ability only works on units with 100 hit points or less. I will probably add a tweak where if the target has over 100 hit points, then it does some life / AP damage instead. That way it will still be useful if the target is too strong to be completely controlled.

The Halfling is a good character choice. He has a lot of good buffs as well and his melee attack / dodge ability is quite powerful when he is cornered in melee.

I'll look into the music thing. I think I noticed something similar about the music on the ghoul level. Will get it fixed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts about DR2. It has a very different feel to it.

12. Pedro73

Pedro73 New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Improving Demon's Rise series!

Hi!

First of all, let me congratulate you for the releases of Demon's Rise series. I know you’re learning your way around Unity 3D and improving your knowledge on game creation. I know you're not a AAA team, but you have managed to create a great starting point for future games within this series. Is good to see the passion you put in this games, not only creating future games but also improving and updating the ones already created.

I've bought the pack for IOS and consider me as a day one buyer for your future releases.

I'm starting to play Demon’s Rise 1 on IPAD. I know it is more a dungeon crawler and the Second in the series more ambient diverse and bigger open maps.

I'm also writing you to give my personal opinion on where the game could be improved but I totally understand your resources are limited.

- The 2D graphic interface should be improved, the windows and the buttons could be a lot better. They're not bad they give a little amateurish look to the game. Maybe hire a someone to create a 2d interface.

- The movement of character should be more fluid. Characters moonwalk in a path node until they rotate and start to move again. Maybe increase the speed of the character rotation in the node or make it instant so the movement could be fluid without the waiting.

- After reaching the last node in the movement, characters keep moonwalking until the end of the animation frame. After reaching the destination the characters movement animation should stop immediately and go to idle animation, not keep moving in the same place until the end of current animation.

- The skills button instead of a cross while the skill is not available, why not having the icon with the skill art but disabled and with the AP cost in the right-top of the skill button. This will increase the beauty of the interface during game and help you decide visually to use the available skills or wait and get some more AP for the next skill to be available. Usually the icons are self-explanatory and you won't have to constantly click on the buttons with a disabled skill to check what is the next skill and the cost it demands. I think this visually information will improve the looks, gameplay and accessibility of the game.

- Instead of clicking on a skill and the clicking on activate or cancel I think a more modern interface will be: Click and hold the skill button to open a pop-up window with the skill explanation. Stop clicking the button and the pop-up window will close. Then just double click the skill icon if you want to activate that skill. As it is now it's not bad but I think it could be improved this way. (You should keep the manual opening and closing of windows to a minimum necessary).

- When your characters exhausted all possible actions (attack and skills) the base color instead of green should pass to another color, so we can visually know what characters don't have any other available actions. Before I end my turn I have to manually check all characters by clicking on each one to see if they still can attack (because some have more than one attack) or have an available skill that I can use. If I can check this visually it can speed up the gameplay a bit.

- You should be able to click and hold an enemy to bring a popup window with their statistics and close the pop after release. Now, if I want to check on some enemy stats I must click it, then a window will open then I must close it again. You could keep this option by single clicking an enemy but there should be an option to quickly check the enemy stats.

- There should be a visual reference when characters have a debuff. Once a character of mine was blinded and if I hadn't read it in a glance I wouldn't guess he was blind. So, there should be a visual reference at least to alert us to check on the character status.

- Maybe in future releases you may have a bonus for attacking from the back of a character.

- The equipment shop interface is a little messy. Recommendations.

- Sort items by price or by type of equipment.

- Equipment you can't buy should be disabled (greyscaled or with a red cross) so you can't visually see you can't buy it. I must click in all equipment to check if I have money to buy it and that's not very pleasant. If you don't have money to buy it, you should know just by looking at the icon.

- When I click an equipment icon to check the price it sticks right away becoming my icon and if I don't have money or don't want the equipment I should put it back. Sometimes when I check a lot of equipment and forget to click again to put it back the inventory becomes a mess with equipment changing places. You should click the icon to check the info about the equipment and if you want to buy it drag and drop it to your character or click and hold the icon to start dragging the equipment around.

- Finally, this is what I think is the weakest point of this game and detracts from the experience. The timing of actions. For example, when the Half Giant attacks an enemy, he plays the Hit animation and the Attack animation of my character has just started. And this happens with a lot of characters.

For example, when storm seer cast a healing spell, my characters heal right away at the start of the spell casting. When she visually casts the spell, nothing happens because it already happened at the start of the animation.
    This wrong timing actions become more awkward when there is a counter attack where characters look like they are randomly dancing with damage at the start of animations, hits when no one is attacking or are hit while they’re not yet being attacked because the attack animation has only started.

This breaks the experience of playing your game because it gives a lot WTF moments. Hit animation should only play after the attack animation reach some frame and then display the damage after hit. Character should only receive heal points after the heal animation reached some frame. It's like getting a hit with an arrow while the arrow is still in the bow...

You should really prioritize the review of the animation timings.
    This is what’s most wrong in your game. This is my personal opinion and I really wish you to have success with your games. You’re starting to create a fan base with your games and I’ve checked your upcoming games (Strike Team and the new Demon's Rise) and they sure look great.

Good luck and good games.

13. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    @Pedro73

Hi and welcome to this forum,
    I agree with all you have said.
    The dev has constantly modded and tweaked this game from its first release, using a lot of suggestions from members here.
    The game as it stands is a vast improvement from its beginning.
    I am sure he will take on board all you have mentioned as they are very constructive criticisms.
    I particularly agree with your observation of the attack graphic timing.
    It has always been slightly off and it does infact distract from immersion in the game.
    I guess we haven't mentioned it before or given it a higher priority as there were a lot of other more glaring problems at the time.
    Hopefully it will be addressed especially before the pc release with I believe the dev is trying to achieve.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback, Pedro. Sorry I've not been too active on the forums lately. I've just been in heads down mode working on strike team and struggling with the android ports.

I agree with most of what you write and I'll write a more detailed reply tomorrow. I have an update for Demon's rise 1 that should launch some time in the next 2 weeks. However, it doesn't address your concerns. After I release a strike team, I will finish the next Demon's Rise game and I'll make a solid attempt at addressing your feedback points and then port those changes back to dr1 and dr2.

15. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    See, what did I tell yah. #
    This dev is incredibly open to the community here and their suggestions.
    If he likes what you suggest and it is possible to implement then you have a good chance it will be done.
    This dev will get my support always.

16. Pedro73

Pedro73 New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    #1516 Pedro73, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Some other few recommendations.

Hi again... Still playing DR1:)

After playing DR1 some more i recommend 3 other things:

- During enemy action phase, the camera should auto-focus on the enemy that is acting (moving, attacking, casting spell...) because sometimes enemies are acting outside my screen and i have to manually move the camera to check what enemy is moving and what is happening (damage, counter attack) because the camera is static while it should be dynamic.

- Review the text of spells, not to wrongly induce players especially from "friendly fire". EX: TORNADO "Enemies in the area of effect suffer 5-8 damager per level...".
    I cast this spell (and others) and almost killed some of my crew members because i thought that it will only damage enemies as it says in the spell description and there was no "friendly fire":(

- Check where the projectiles leave the character that casts it and to where it moves to. Sometimes projectile spells leave outside the casting character and hits outside the target character. The projectile should leave at least from the front of the casting character and should hit the center of the character model that is the target, so it doesn't hit outside the 3D model.

I still think this games are great and have a great potential future. I preferred to spend about 13 dollars on DR1 and DR2 pack than 3 dollars on Shadowrun: Dragonfall (but will probaly will in the future:)) also due to out-of-sync of sound and animation in Shadowrun Returns.

But has you can see a professional product demands 3 dollars for it. I gladdy payed 13 dollars for your games but i expected them to be more polished:)

I know that in the future you'll address this issues, but at least for now take them in to account for your next new games (day one buy for me:).

Keep that passion and the good job you're making.

Bye from Portugal!

17. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    When did the price drop?! I thought this game was never going to be on sale and/or price drop!

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just trying a sale for the first time today. It'll be on sale for the next 5 days. Next week, I'll probably put Demon's Rise 2 on sale for a week as well.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    On the plus side, I finally got Android versions stable so I'm switching my code back to iOS and should have an update for both games out next week.

20. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Great!!!!

Also what happen to the free trial version of the game?