The February 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Aralon - Sword and Shadow

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the Touch Arcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it! As a little incentive, at the end of each month, I will randomly pick one of the participants and send them something small and silly from here in Japan. All you have to do to be eligible is, well, play along with the Play-Along!

Our first Play-Along went even better than I expected, with more than 30 people joining in on the thread in the forums. We had a great mix of Final Fantasy veterans and new players alike, all sharing their stories and screenshots. A big thank you to everyone who participated. Now, for January's Small and Silly Prize winners. First off, user RHess00 managed to pull off a wild accomplishment, beating Chaos with just a solo Monk. I won't always offer up achievement-related prizes, but RHess00 certainly earned one! As for the random participant award, the name drawn from the Magic Moogle Hat is none other than Rabendoppel! New to the forums and Final Fantasy itself, Rabendoppel bravely sallied forth with a dice-rolled party of two Monks, a Thief, and a Red Mage. That's some party for a rookie! RHess00 and Rabendoppel, I'll be in touch via PM to get your addresses so I can send you your prizes. To everyone else, well, a new month brings another chance to win a Small and Silly Thing from Japan!

For our February Play-Along, we're jumping out of the world of classic JRPGs and into the realm of WRPGs with Aralon: Sword and Shadow from Crescent Moon Games. An iOS classic, this 2010 release tosses you into an open world of adventure and danger. With plenty of quests and a fair bit of character customization options, I think this will be a fun one for us to play together. Just like last month, you'll need to grab the game itself from the App Store if you don't already own it. Then, either log in or sign up for the TouchArcade forums and join us here in the February RPG Reload Play-Along: Aralon thread to say hello. You don't need to beat the game to qualify for the random draw, but I would like to see at least one screenshot of your progress at some point, okay?

Let's have fun, everyone!

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Never played this, so this will be fun. Don't have 500Mb free just yet, but I can move some stuff around. Or play it on my work iPad.

As a side note, there is a review on the UK App Store saying that the game is virtually unplayable on iOS 10 as it keeps lagging. Someone who already owns the game might want to confirm that it works fine on iOS 10.

(I'm on iOS 9 still, so not relevant to me.)

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Im on iOS 10 and when I opened the app I got the infamous This App May Slow Down Your Phone message. I started a game and it does have some lag. I didn't have time to play for long so I don't know if it's unplayable yet. I'm playing on an iPhone SE. It's sad to see these old games being left behind.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hmm. I hope it's playable or I'll be in a pickle this month, haha!

5. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Ok so the main problem I'm having is while walking the screen just kind of jumps forward every 4 or 5 steps. It's not unplayable. Just a little irritating. I was playing around with the options and setting the graphics to minimum didn't help but turning the background music off has eliminated the problem completely. After that, I set the graphics to the highest settings and everything is still good so far. Just turn the music off.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Okay, I'll include that in the article. Thanks RHess!

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've played this game before but it was years ago and I don't remember much. I know I went with the Rogue and the stealth mechanic was a lot of fun but I'm going to go with an Elf Mage this time.

The graphics are pretty amazing for a game this old.

Attached Files:

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Sad to hear that there are issues on IOS 10. :(

9. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Mmmh I bought it a long time ago but never got around it. Count me in Shaun :)

10. nezuja

nezuja Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I'll be joining in as well!

11. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Well I rescued a dog. That's always a good start.

12. tpianca

tpianca Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Nice pick!

I was curious about his one, it's actually on my wishlist. But I will need to download it over a wifi network because of the size , so it will take me some days.
    I couldn't get to the end of FF - too many random encounters and having just played it to the end the year before made it such a chore that I gave up just before the water cristal. Was too much of a time investment, I would play for 30
    Minutes and no progress at all.
    Speaking of time, how much time does Aralon takes, Shaun? It would be a good idea to put it the front page, that's the closest to the number of pages of books on book clubs and I think this is valuable info for anyone.

13. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I think 15 hours is a reasonable average, but it's doable in 10 if you don't meander too much.

14. sadows12

sadows12 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I'll join in as well, I'll try my best to complete the game but I'm so sporadic on what games I'm interested in that I'm making no promises (;

15. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Awesome pick for the play-along! Downloading now. :)

16. Ratberger

Ratberger New Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Re downloading now. This is as good of an excuse as any to finally play this one.

17. ooo, I already own this one. Might have to jump in with you guys.

18. Dagrims

Dagrims Member

Dec 7, 2016
    #18 Dagrims, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    My experience with January's Play-Along, Final Fantasy I, was pretty much a bust. I just couldn't get into it, and quit after a few hours. I just downloaded this month's choice, and am looking forward to it. I read the intro article about the game, so I knew to turn off music (no big loss for me).

Playing on normal level, and I am an elf ranger named Booberstank.

The intro is decent, if a bit choppy. Looks like I am heading to Taryn Ridge to speak with an innkeeper, to learn about who my father really was, and why I'm the last hope to save Aralon.

[Roderick dies]

[You received a quest]

And away we go!

Attached Files:

19. coloncruncher

coloncruncher Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2016
    I'm in! I never did finish this one. Playing on iPad Pro 12.9, can't seem to move the controls, it feels pretty awkward.

Attached Files:

20. Sugarbear Montclair

Oct 4, 2016
    #20 Sugarbear Montclair, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Well I've jumped onboard for this one. Rolled a blue haired elf rogue. Playing on mini4, ok so far, but I've just too got the dog. I'm known to have a lot of alts so I do plan on trying mage out too. Thanks for this idea, I love it, missed last month.

Just wondering? How do you poison your weapon? I've linked it but nothing happens. And I'm out of combat. And I got a deed for a horse, but where do I get him?