Draw Something 250 grand a day how?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, Mar 22, 2012.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
  2. antireality

antireality Member

Mar 11, 2011
    graphics driver monkey
    Kingston Upon Thames, UK
    Because, just like words with friends, it's a familiar board/party game that people know combined with the convenience of stuffing it in your pocket and people like that.

Right or wrong personally in that position I would sell out to Zynga - I get the feeling if I didn't they'd just clone me and stamp me out, leaving me with close to nothing anyway. My ideals say otherwise, but I don't pay my rent in ideals...

3. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #3 pinkandpurple, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    True about stamp out but this does not explain exactly HOW they make this 250 grand a day I suppose it is with ads?
    What are the game play rules?

4. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    There's millions (and millions) of users, a paid version & free Add version. IAP to buy bombs and new colours. All that = massive $$$

It's incredibly popular mate and it's awesome. No mystery where the money comes from imo.

5. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    if you are atop the app store in 1st place, you are getting seen by millions of eyes. You are getting.. I didn't even know how many purchases a day. Hundreds of thousands of downloads for top spot? Then the IAP translates into a sizeable amount of daily cash as well.

Since they've got the free list topped as well, they are getting that many more impressions on their ads, and they do banner ads & fullscreen ads. When you only get a couple thousand impressions/day that's like $2 if you are lucky but if you are getting a couple million impressions - also, having the route to IAP in there.. well, you can do the math.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Why don't you download it and try it?

7. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Do they use jsut 1 ad network? IF so what is it?
    I might try Hodapp I saw some Youtube vids
    Also what are the bombs used for please?

8. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Paid version?

What is the difference between paid version and free please?

9. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    game

Is this like a game where people play against each other?

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Dude, it's free to play. Try it instead of waiting hours for people to respond about game mechanics.

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    how is an 8 year old without an actual ios device to play it? he only gets a few minutes a day internet allowance! so don't be so harsh ;)

12. Dating SIM

Dating SIM Active Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Chief Dating Officer at Tiger Studios; http://goo.
    Los Angeles, CA / London, UK
    Marketing lesson for us all!

If you haven't played Draw Something yet, do it!
    They have really nailed the virility aspect of the game, not just the ease-of-use.

We are now working on updating our app for some elements of the virility, where users can play against other users. Big respect to OMGPOP, it's a great inspiration for the whole industry!!

13. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

If that's true ($250K/day), things changed a lot recently. Last year one of my games reached #2 in top grossing chart and it was making less than $100K/day.

14. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Mind you they're atop both free and paid. Also both (I believe) have IAP, and the free runs both banner ads with fullscreen ads as well which pay a higher return. Not to mention an overall increased userbase in the time since, as well.

15. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Right - when this was first posted they owned both 1st and 10th top grossing on the Canadian App Store (which I imagine was similarly ranked elsewhere)

16. kunaalkiip

kunaalkiip Member

Mar 9, 2012
    One thing I noticed, is the % of people buying IAP. It's much higher than a typical game. I have about 10 games I'm playing right now, and half of us bought IAP, and judging by the colours used, it's the $5 one. That's huge! And the more people play, the more likely they are to buy more colours. The colours used can semi do the job, but having more colours helps a lot. Considering that it's free and the amount of time spent on it, people can justify spending $1 on IAP as well.

17. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    So the difference from free and paid is that they charge for more colours ?

18. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

What a bummer, hey could be worse!

19. Grizzlage

Grizzlage Active Member

The paid version gives you a 2000 words list (not sure the # in the free version but it's significantly less), 400 coins, and removes the ads.

Both the free and the paid version have coins that can be bought via IAP. However you also earn coins by drawing / guessing. The harder the word = more coins.

Then the coins can then be used to buy bombs and color packs in the game.

In the free version, there are full screen ads a the end of each round (similar to Words with Friends). And the limited word list (read repeating words) is a huge push for the paid version.

Color packs are about 250coins. Bomb packs are about 400coins for 10bombs I believe. Each round you pick a word of easy / medium / hard difficulty. Giving 1 / 2 / 3 coins respectively. Needless to say that it takes quite a while to save up coins in game to unlock new colors. Or you have to be playing a ton of games at the same time. Either way it's a huge push to just buying coins with the IAP.

20. SimonTag

SimonTag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Product Evangelist
    Dundee, Scotland
    I think most people are content with the ads; its the colours that you really need to use the app well. A bunch of my friends have purchased the colour packs on the free version for instance. Really, it is perfectly monetised. Free version drags you in until you pay and the paid version gets you straight away.