The Ultimate Top Games Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ArtNJ, Sep 4, 2009.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ok, we have 21 top 10 threads, 11 top .99 threads, a top expensive games thread, a top 16 thread (why I dont know), a top 8 thread (because 8 is half of 16?), a top 3 thread, etc, etc, etc and also etc.

And yet, aside from Camzy's very nice vote for the top 5 in each genre thread, ALL of them contain precious little information. There is no tabulation of votes, and because people dont assign a rating, there is a bias to what is popular, not necessarily the most loved.

So...lets do this one more time, but do it right, and have something that we believe in enough so that when "educating" some noob starting a top games thread this is the thread we link. Here is what I am suggesting. List the games you love or loved, as many as you want, as long as you truly love them. Assign each game a rating between 1 and 10. Keep in mind these are only games you love or have loved, so I assume we are going to be mostly assigning ratings between 8-10. For example, I love minigore, but to me it doesnt deserve a 10 now because of lack of features.

If its a game that isnt discussed that often, please list the genre for me. And, if your really feeling generous, and its not a game that is going to be on everyone's list, check the *current* price for us (optional, if you dont, I will try to.)

I am open to suggestions on modifying this idea. One obvious thing would be to allow people to rate games that others love, but they dont. I think we will wait on that, perhaps adding it later.

List your games below. Or flame the idea. Thats cool too :D

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    2 suggestions:

1. Games released over 12 months ago ONLY.
    2. Games released over 6 months ago ONLY.

I want games that last the distance, I'm sure others do too. So make an Annual 'Top' and every month update it.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Art - I think that the idea is good - but it needs to be kept up, and Arn or Hodapp would have to agree to sticky it, and it needs to be kept up to date, and it needs to be kept up to date...

Did I mention it would need to be kept up to date?

The other threads are obsolete almost as quickly as they are formed. New games that are pretty amazing are coming out every week - Witness Spider, and Samurai, and now Modern Combat - Someone - (you?) has to go in almost every day if not everyday, and make sure things are good - there are new updates to old software that was not exciting, and now is, and sometimes the reverse... But, I try and use those old threads, but still have to go through multiple new threads, because the old threads were old news...

Great idea, a LOT of work.. and a sticky thread - it won't work without it being a sticky - bumping is not allowed, and if it not one of the first 3 posts - it won't get seen...

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nothing user created seems to be stickied at TA. One could wish.

Bumping may technically not be allowed, but the mods seem to let it go when its a thread that a lot of work has gone into of obvious general interest. I envision folks updating their list when they like -- actually let me know how they changed their list, what they added, subtracted, etc, and I will change the tally.

I did ok keeping up the master list of threads until my vacation...I will get back into that. I envision this one being easier to keep "bumped" because people will be changing their own lists.

As far as being a lot of work, yes, but not too too bad. I dont intend to keep prices literally up to date...we'll put an "as of" date next to the price, and update when someone points it out. I am willing to do some work...but that would clearly be too much. The rest shouldnt be too bad.

5. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeh its kind of what I'm doing. Great thread idea, but it will take a lot more work than my thread.

6. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    My favourite games.

Modern Combat: Sandstorm= 9/10. Amazing graphics, controls, gameplay. 9.5/10 once it gets multiplayer.
    Gang$tar= 8.5/10. 10/10 if it gets multiplayer, better cops and better draw distance.
    Luxor= 8/10. Too simple to be higher, but not many bad points.
    Worms= 8.5/10, 9/10 once it gets multiplayer.
    Rolando 2= 9/10. Highly polished game, needs level packs DLC.

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    games that I've played more than any other:
    -Galcon
    -space ninja
    -Flight Control
    -Frenzic

nothing else really stands out

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fling: 10/10
    Galcon: 8/10
    Minigore: 8/10 (anticipating raising it with updates)
    Alive 4 Ever: 8/10
    Flight Control: 8/10
    Parachute Panic: 9/10
    Bookworm: 8/10 (-2 for dictionary)
    Baseball Slugger: 10/10
    Scoops: 8/10
    Skyburger: 9/10
    Inkvaders: 7/10 (its addictive, but not real sure why, though it does look good)

9. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    no gameloft game? only 2D games?...

10. whatever

whatever Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Rolando 2: 9/10
    Real Racing 10/10
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene: 10/10