Help My First Game, Lite version?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MarsApp, Sep 23, 2009.

1. MarsApp

MarsApp Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I really need some help from you guys!

My game SkyDodge has been released for 3 days, and the sales is very bad (compare to my other non-game app)! I think one of the reason is that it started at the 2nd page (see this thread for detail).

Anyway, I had added some new features to the game and submitted for approval... I hope this time it will not start at the 2nd page again....

Now, I would like to know if Lite version can boost the sales of Paid version of my game? My game is a simple casual game, so I afraid if people played the Lite version, they will not paid for full version, because they can just restart the game for fun again...

Any developer here create a Lite version for a simple game? Will it help the sales?

Thanks a lot!

Mars

2. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    I think a lite version will help. Just throw in some limitations. Like a 60 second max game or something like that. Even casual gamers generally want to play longer than that, but it is enough for people to feel the game out.

3. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Giving away too much is risky, but if the lite version is annoying or too short, you increase the chance that users will simply delete it in disgust and not keep it around. When a lite game is compelling and users keep it on their idecide, it offers two advantages: 1) increases chance of interest spreading by word of mouth, i.e. if someone else is shown that game. 2) gives you 2nd and 3rd chances to upsell, via updates to the lite version.

You can get a good sense of how many people are keeping the lite version around by paying attention to the upgrade metrics shown when you view your daily/monthly stats.

While a lite version is rarely a magic bullet anymore, you don't have much to lose by making a lite version if the full version is doing poorly. And you can easily pull it from the app store if you change your mind.

4. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009

How many sales have you gotten so far?

5. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    im not a dev, but as a buyer id say yes, it would. i saw the app on TA but wasnt sure about it, so a lite may give you another sale :D. You might want to put if you are going to update the game in the app description.As someone else mentioned, dont make the lite too short, just long enough.

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Find someone to review your game, that could boost sales as well if the review is favorable.

7. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Stick Escape lite is 51st Top Free Action game in the US right now, it has boosted the full version's sales. I would go for it, it doesn't take much time to make a lite, so why not?

8. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    I'm waiting for my lite version to be approved. It was a balance of giving enough content, but not too much. I'm trying to go for a "leave them wanting more" approach. If/when it gets released, I'll share my data.

9. EFC

EFC Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom, but even if youve got a half decent game youll wont neccasarily get half decent sales. especially after 3 days.
    its only going to get more crowded as time goes on, because the world and his mum has started making iphone games.

most devs im sure think.. wow.. the ishoot bloke made half a million.
    and wow.. pocket gods popular and its not even a game..
    their advantage was that when they started.. users were crying out for apps..
    gone are the days when you can release 1 app and live off that for a year.
    unless you have a game that gets reviewed everywhere and starts a word of mouth.

i seriously thought itunes connect was broken a few days after my app came out.. because i couldnt get sales figures for some days... little did i know that if you have no sales, you get no summary for that day.

ive been in the games industry for 12 years and my 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th game.. that i worked on for a total of 6 years were canned.. i got jaded and bitter years ago..but at least i got paid for those 6 years.. the fact ive only sold 25 units in a month with my game has only made me realise that my day job.. animating is what i should really be focussing on. im visually creative not so good at marketing / PR.. and you really need that these days if you want a succesful iphone game.

hope ive not bummed you out.. put out a lite version.. it cant hurt sales if your not selling any right?

10. MarsApp

Sep 8, 2009
    Okay, I will put a lite version out... hope it can boost my full version a little bit... I only want to pay myself and my designer's working hour :)

11. MarsApp

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks guys! :D

12. EFC

EFC Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    #12 EFC, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    i totally sympathise.
    if you promised your designer a cut of any profit and managed to keep the dev costs to 0 then all youve lost is your time. but you have gained valuable experience.

i bought your game.. as its only 59p.. which is like buying you a cheap cup of coffee..
    if i could .. id delete it and buy it again.. a few times.. and we can imagine id bought you a beer... thats just to cheer you up after laying down a reality check.
    your games worth 59p / 99c unfortunately no more than that.
    purely looking at the market. im not trying to devalue your efforts.. its just how it is compared to what else you can get for a buck.

good luck with it.

oh by the way.. where does my last games score get stored.. i cant see it.. otherwise
    theres not much point in having points, i dont even want open fient.. just to see my last score..
    even my games managed that.

13. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    #13 nickcaveman, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    hehe, same here. sitting in front of the computer and reload the itunesconnect side, because they didn`t update the sales.
    and again.
    and again.
    till i reconize, that you didn`t get a report if you didn`t sell anything. ^^

meanwhile, i think, that 250 sales aren`t so bad for our game, when i read how often respectively how less other apps were sold.

i think, your app looks interesting, so if i have time for games, i will try it.

canned? did that means, that they never have been published?

if so, i know this situation very well.

made three big flashgames (as a artist).
    very big flashgames!
    none of them were released.

ok, i got my money (working as a freelancer), but i`m really sad, that the whole work was for nothing (expect the money).

so i`m happy, that i also made illustrations for boardgames: they will produce for sure and they won`t disappear after a few month.

making games for the iphone is some kind of hobby.
    of course i would like ti, if i earned money with that, but it`s really hard.

as you told, you need to make a lot of marketing and need a lot of luck to get noticed.

most devs would be happy, if they sold 1000–3000 copies.
    and now calculate the money you get per working hour…

just doing like me: having fun with your app, don`t think, that you will get rich with it.

if you wanna get, play lottery or something like that.
    or work as a freelancer for iphone app companies. ^^

14. MarsApp

Sep 8, 2009
    You are right, I'm cut profit with my designer... But I still hope I can really make him some "profit". :D

Thanks for your support. I had submitted the update with games score feature and waiting for approval.

I'm also working on the OpenFeint now, will add some Achievements too... Hope someone can help to suggestion some on my thread.

I really appreciate for the suggestions from you guys! :)

15. Black Hive Media

Black Hive Media Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Like the other guys up there, I've been in the game industry for a while too and most of the games I worked on never get released. It's so disheartening, but at least I (we) got paid...and I still have a job. hehe.

As for a Lite version... We released one w/ our comic and sales were bad. Ironically, when we pulled the Lite, sales went up just slightly. :)