Game hacked by beta tester

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Runloop, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I know it's expected to for your games to be hacked which is why I didn't even attempt to put any protection in it. But, to be hacked by one of my own testers is a bitter pill to swallow.

So whatever you do, do not use simonli2575 or any other variation of Simon Li as a tester. In fact, just to be safe don't use beta testers from China.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Sucks. Use this thread to find beta testers. It was a neat thread but not too many devs contribute there. Some of those testers arent even active anymore, but we can keep it updated if devs contribute there regularly.

Also, I'm stickying that thread now so its more visible.

3. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Cool, I will do in future. I don't know if pirating games is a bannable offence but if it is you might want to ban that guy.

4. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Wow sorry to hear that, i can't believe some people still do that!i think this is the reason why my friends are the only beta testers for me!you never know who is on the other side of the keyboard!

5. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    The most laughable bit about the whole thing is he waited until I'd given him a promocode. Even then was still contacting me via PM on this site offering to help test the iPad version. I can't believe the nerve of the kid.

6. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I've got the guy's UDID. I might leave him a little message in the next version. ;-)

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  8. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
  9. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Its fine to warn people about one person, but it's not appropriate to suggest an entire country is at fault. I think you're going too far by suggesting people don't trust any Chinese people. I find that offensive.

10. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    You might find it offensive but I don't think I'm wrong suggesting that a large proportion of piracy comes from that region of the world.

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I see your point but don't you think you're possibly reading a bit more subtext into Runloop's post than he intended?

12. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Sorry. I don't like Sterotyping By country because it's too close to racism.

13. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Neither do I. That wasn't racism.

14. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I edited my response, to be more moderate in my reply, but you replied too quickly...

15. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    Yes, maybe I am stereotyping. However, I don't think it's unjust. When I had a previous app pirated the majority of the pirate versions were being used in China, India and places like that. Piracy and counterfeit goods are rife in these areas. Saying so doesn't make you a racist.

I'm not suggesting that all the people in these regions pirate software or counterfeit goods, but I am saying you can minimise the risk by not giving them free copies in the first place.

16. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Regardless, the nugget of wisdom you can take from Red1's post is that you appear unprofessional and you are potentially alienating a very large market. You might want to consider the image of your business.

17. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    So far I've made a grand total of £13.93 from China. They may be a massive in terms of population but they are not a massive market.

18. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

+10

@Runloop, it makes no difference how small or large the Chinese market is in that respect. You don't have to be Chinese to be offended about stereotyping people based on nationality...

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #19 Vovin, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

He's right. He just said the truth.

And yes, Germany, England (or GB) and Sweden have the biggest problems with Italy, Spain and France as the nations with the highest rate of piracy. Both not good for Europe's reputation and Europe's Gross National Product.

20. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    So when does it stop being stereotyping and start being reality? Seriously, stop living with your heads in the sand. The 3rd world are pirating your apps rather than buying them. Saying so does not make you a racist, it's not really stereotyping either as it's what is happening. Maybe people should stop worrying about being so politically correct and face up to the issue, at which point maybe something can be done about it.