ATARI is going after Wallbreaker Games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Therealtrebitsch, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I received a letter from apple right now, that ATARI has complained about our game Alien Breakout infringing their Intellectual Property.

I answered them and CCed Atari, that I am not aware of any infringement and I want an exact explanation where I infringe their trademark (they complained about trademark) and I will consider the appropriate steps.

I think I am not the only one who received such an email.

2. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I'd say it's the name that bothers them.

3. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
  4. Therealtrebitsch

Mar 2, 2010
    #4 Therealtrebitsch, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    I know that atari created the genre.

I know also, that "breakout" is not equal to "Alien Breakout".

I also know that game ideas can't be copyrighted

I also know that LimaSky didn't succeed by doing the same with the word "doodle"

"Breakout" is a legitime word also to be found in any dictionarry. They didn't create the word.

SO they can scratch my balls.

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    You have what looks a lot like a Breakout clone with the word Breakout in the title. What the hell did you expect?

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Quoted for truth. The combination of the name and the very similar gameplay (based on screenshots) likely got you that email.

7. Therealtrebitsch

Mar 2, 2010
    The funny thing is, they also trademarked "Super Breakout".

If they covered everything in computer games with "Breakout" why did they have to trademark "Super Breakout" as a new trademark?

If the word "Breakout" can't cover "Super Breakout", then it also can't cover "Alien Breakout"

BTW I know for sure that there is at least another guy contacted by ATARI

They renewed their trademark this year, so I think that's why they protect their trademark so desperate now.

I have no problem to rename my app, but I won't do that just because somebody says so.

8. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    You can sink time and money into an epic crusade against Atari, or just change your game's name. Considering your situation, I'd wager the optimal choice is clear.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    QFT

And some filler text because QFT isn't long enough, despite being common netiquette! :)

10. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Just did a quick search at uspto.gov for the "breakout" trademark. Atari has had a live trademark for that exact term since at least 2002 for computer games. They also have live trademark registrations for "super breakout". These facts alone should tell you that you are infringing. If I were you, I'd change the name pronto and pray that they don't go after your earnings which they have the right to. I'm not a lawyer, so you should verify all this with a real attorney.

By the way, this is not similar to the "scrolls" trademark issue between Bethesda and Mojang. Here, Atari does have an exclusive right to the term "breakout" for use with computer games since at least 2002.

11. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    You are blatantly infringing their live, registered trademark. Plus your above post demonstrates you know virtually nothing about trademark law.

I'd suggest "they can scratch my balls" is entirely the wrong attitude here given both those points, and would advise you change the name of your game immediately before you attract more attention and incur any real costs.

12. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Looks like you're not the only one they are going after here... http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=107606

I would be inclined to change the name myself, have Atari responded to you yet?

13. Therealtrebitsch

Mar 2, 2010
    Yes, I talked to them and they were very nice.

I have read up about trademarking in the US and I decided to take down and rename the app.

It was not worth of the fight anyway.
    I still believe, that they have trademark only on the word "breakout" and my app shouldn't be infringing that, but it doesn't matter anyway.

14. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Got an idea of what the new name will be?

15. Chunkypixels

Chunkypixels Active Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Videogames Artist/Designer
    Cleethorpes UK
    #15 Chunkypixels, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Like one of the previous posts mentions... Atari are going after a whole host of games and websites in regards to their Intelectual Properties.

I recently had to remove one of my games (Impact Earth) from the appstore as it was a missile command inspired clone. There were no issues of name violation, or assets or audio violations, but gameplay did take obvious inspiration.

So they are actually going after games that have a noticable gameplay similarity...not just names and asset violation.

To be honest, I do think its their right to do so... which is why I removed my game without argument. Its completely understandable that they want to protect their properties, and that they want to remove any competing products from the marketplace if and where possible.

At least the Atari lawyer was very polite and amicable.

If anything, its given me a reason to rework my game, and make it into something more original...

16. Therealtrebitsch

Mar 2, 2010
    #16 Therealtrebitsch, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Alien Super Breakout

j/k :D

Probably something like "Alien Breaker" or "Alien Invasion" (Invader is probably trademarked too :p ) or "Alien Intruder" or something like that...

I don't know.

The game was made in GameSalad and it was an early try to get our feet on to the appstore. It was also very limited in gameplay, because GameSalad is very limited. The origional concept was much more advanced.

Maybe we will remake it in objectiveC, but that will take months until we can think about that... if we ever want to remake it anyway.

@Chunkypixels:
    I told them, that I will reupload with another title and they had no argument against that, so I think, it is not the gameplay.

They even stated in a letter to another guy on another forum, that they can't copyright gameplay, although they mentioned something that they have the exclusive right to all variations of the gameplay, which I don't believe.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Glad to hear. At least you dont have to change the name of your other apps Packman, Space Invade, Galaxia and GORFF ;)

18. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    My friend who made the game This is Pong!(on which I did the sound fxs) received not too long ago an email from them, and he had to remove the game from the appstore. You are not alone...I find the kind of situations pretty stupid. O well...glad that everything is ok for you and my friend.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I don't think your game infringe their trademark, but I understand why they are attacking you.

if they were right, all Gameloft's clones would be removed, and same for Wavespark's clone (Tiny Wing) or Papi Jump's clone (Doodle Jump), Crush the Castle's clone (Angry Birds) etc...

It's really a shame, it only proves one thing, if you are a small indie dev you will be ripped off by other indies with 0 moral, or destroyed by big guns. Welcome in the App Store baby!