Movie Industry - a mobile game about running a film studio.Looking for your feedback!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JustaDevil, Apr 22, 2014.

1. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    #1 JustaDevil, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Hey there guys! We're a startup studio Rhapsody Games and for the last 12 months we've been working on our first project, the one that we've agreed to call "Movie Industry". The name is quite explicitly tells what game is actually about - running a movie studio in Hollywood and shooting movies. In a way it resembles The Movies by mr. Molyneux, but we decided to focus more on managing/business side. And we try not to overpromise :)

Features:

• - Kick-ass pixel art visuals and slick-lookigng GUI;
    • - USA map, a huge market available for your conquest;
    • - 40+ different craftable movie sets in 6 settings - Adventure, Fantasy, Modern, Historical, Space, War;
    • - 60+ character costumes;
    • - 6 types of upgradable buildings;
    • - 5 character types - Directors, Actors, Camera men, Scriptwriters and VFX guys, each of them with personal skillset;
    • - 20+ marketing cards;
    • - Quirky storyline, based on rivalry with your former friend.

TRAILER

This is how the Studio looks like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A collection of craftable movie sets
    [​IMG]

USA map, where players open new offices, stores and workshops for set parts
    [​IMG]

As you can see, from POV perspective Movie Industry is unusual for a common strategy-and-sim games. But we think it works better for this particular setting. Players start with a small and dusty office and scriptwriters shack, and they progress through upgrading their offices and accessing more and more advanced technologies.

Crafting and collecting new movie sets are a big part of the gameplay. Players should collect 4 unique parts in order to craft a new set and use it for shooting new movies.

The game is in alpha right now, i.e. everything is working like it should, we're just now adding layers of polishing on it.
    The target platforms would be iOS and Android, with possible PC release as well later on.
    The game is free2play, however we tackle players progression gently and won't squeeze pennies from players.

The most important thing for us right now is to gather actual feedback. What do you guys think about our game based on the information above? What would you like us to include in the game? What do you think about the name?

2. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    It was great till freetoplay.

3. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Good idea but bad concept, graphic and design. Theres to much games looking like this already. In todays times its just no, no and no. And above all free2play.

4. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I'd say there is whole new breed of f2p games (like this one for instance http://toucharcade.com/2014/04/21/wind-up-knight-2-review/) that are more gentle and ethical in terms of monetization. We tend to be among this breed, that's why we've decided to ask Touch arcade community. You guys are hardcore players and certainly have a very high standards of quality. But first and foremost goal for our game is to be fun to play.

5. bcredonk

bcredonk Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    This looks cool to me, I like that you can change sets and costumes and stuff. I'm kind if curious how you collect them, in general I dig games like this.

Also wondering what iap would be in a game like this, I'm guessing premium currency to skip timers? The art looks super nice from what you have posted.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Surprised this kind of game hasn't been released yet. Good job on tackling it. Please keep the timers and IAP reasonable. It's got a lot of potential, but being too aggressive with those things could kill it.

Totally thought Pixely People Making Movies would be more like this. But this reminded me of that a little but definitely expanded to a sim. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

7. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    I'm neither a hardcore gamer or a casual gamer, I'm just a gamer. not all F2P games are the same

8. Rough-Rider

Rough-Rider Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Looks good, can't wait to play.

9. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Didn't know about this game until you mentioned it. It looks fun, but in our title the gameplay is absolutely different, concentrated on developing distribution network, building studio and leveling up you characters. And yes, we definitely will keep IAP reasonable.

10. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    So what is your overall goal for this game? Is it to make a lot of money or just entertain? If it was to make money, you came to the wrong place. TA members tend to be cheap and hate f2p games just because at some point money is involved.

I honestly believe you have a strong product and with the right screenshots and a feature on the front page, you'll do well.

Good luck!

11. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for a thoughtful comment. To answer your question, our main goal is of course to be fun and entertaining, and if we'll succeed in it this probably (just probably) will drive in some money to help us stay afloat. In todays highly competitive environment nobody 100% sure that a certain game will generate sufficient revenues. Neither do we. But at least we'll be proud that we managed to deliver a solid product.

12. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I'm actually happy I stumbled across this game. It looks like a very fun and interactive product, creating your own movie studio. So in the game, will you be hiring different workers, like Tiny Death Star?

How do the craft able sets work? So how do you collect these, and can you use four of any item to create something new?

When can we expect release?

13. RhapsodyGames

RhapsodyGames Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Russia, Moscow
    #13 RhapsodyGames, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback!

You'll need to hire and level up different types of characters: actors, directors, cameramen, screenwriters etc. In Tiny Death Star your workers can do whatever they want, in Movie Industry they all have specific jobs (you won't be able to make cameramen do VFX or direct a movie).

In order to craft a set you have to collect 3 unique items and 1 set of tools. You'll be given items as rewards for quests or specific contracts. You can also build a workshop in one of the cities and order new items there.

Here's a couple of sets from the game:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our ETA is late August.

14. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ah, the art style on this looks really cool!

Thank you for the reply!

15. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    So is this IAP going to be unlock complete game - fine can live with that
    or is it the pay for this, pay for that, pay to speed up etc ???

16. kinshuksunil

kinshuksunil Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    This looks like an interesting game.. are you guys planning to do a beta?

17. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks! As for the beta, we do plan to roll it out maybe in July, but in somewhat small scale. We'll keep this thread alive for the updates!

18. JustaDevil

JustaDevil Member

Apr 22, 2014
    There are some speedups, yes, but again if you know games like Pixel People or Tiny Tower, you get the idea that this all isn't that bad. We design the game in a way to avoid stressing a gamer, so everything can be achieved without paying a dime.

19. kinshuksunil

kinshuksunil Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    I will be up for the beta whenever you roll it, if you'd like to have me.

Looking at screenshots and videos and giving feedback is tricksy.. best feedback comes when you can experience the game :D

20. Mike1294

Mike1294 New Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Really looking forward to this game. Looks really nice and love the idea.