What game is the closest to Warcraft II or III for iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fire dawn, Dec 7, 2012.

1. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Starfront by gameloft?

2. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I'm surprised noone talked about S&S
    I'm a big war2/war3 sc1/sc2 fan, and in my opinion, this game is by far the best strategy game available on iOS devices: http://www.swordsandsoldiers.com

There has not been any additional content brought to the iOS version of the game since its release, but this is probably the best strategy game experience on the iOS in my opinion.

Unfortunately, unlike the wii/PS3/PC/Mac versions, it only has split screen multiplayer (and only on the iPad)

Starfront:Collision could have been good, but has very disappointing multiplayer latency (even local wifi has 1second delay between actions).
    This makes micro even more futile, and actually turns this into a single player game for me

cheers

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Really!?!?

Just... Really!?

Gimme Eufloria, Starbase Orion, Ravensword, GBWG, Autumn Dynasty, Hunters 2... hell Amoebattle, Total War Battles, Anthill Defense... Point is I can go and on listing games that were better than S&S.

Question is... What made it so great in your opinion?

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your own opinion, and don't expect people to have to say "in my opinion" before making a statement like "is the best strategy game available on iOS devices" because it's obviously your opinion... But WHY?!

Maybe I just don't get it because side scrolling base defense titles never were my cup-o-tea, but they all just seem so shallow when compared to other titles. S&S is no exception here.

Of course... All IMO... Blah blah... But some more explanation as to why it stands out to you... I'm more curious than anything. =o/

4. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #24 Ezak, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Mmm... ok...
    I believe the OP was asking for a RTS, meaning real time.
    He mentioned Warcraft 2 and 3, so I believe he wants a resource gathering into army style rts.
    Finally, he mentioned Warcraft 3, so I figured he was after a fast paced micro oriented rts over a slow paced macro one.

While I consider most of them good games, none of the titles you mentioned are micro oriented, some aren't real time, and one isn't even a strategy games.

While S&S is not the standard bird eye view rts, it is the only micro oriented rts I know of in the App Store.

Finally, since I'm a big fan of micro managements in battles, while having the essence of what i consider a good rts title (a vast number of complex build orders and their counter build, easy resource management, fast paced combat, etc...), I was disappointed in starfront, but not in S&S

Edit: I said in my opinion because there are plenty of different styles of strategy games...As in, I prefer SC2 over Civilization 5.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'd like to know which one isn't a strategy game - and I know what the OP was asking - but for you to say

that didn't really have anything to do with the question since it was a blanket statement covering all strategy titles.

6. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #26 Ezak, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    Ravensword? Using it as your argument to say it was a better strategy game than S&S was a tiny bit cheeky...

But yes, one can argue that my opinion was wrong, I'll change it to "i believe it's the best micro management rts game on iOS", which will probably anger people less...

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I meant Ravenmark.... Sorry bout that...

And alright. I'll give you that (that it's the best micro management strategy title on the iOS)...

But is there something that stands out with the side scrolling strategy games for you?

8. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Not really, I actually am not a big fan, but I thought I was an interesting combination for a rts title.

There is a rts game (iPhone only though) that is supposed to be interesting, I think the name is red conquest, I'll have to give it a look

9. Leelord337

Leelord337 New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    #29 Leelord337, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    I would have to say that the closest game to Warcraft 2 tides of darkness I found is called kingdom rush. Amazing game!!

And found another game very close to Warcraft 2 that's a free flash game called: takeover

10. I'm really curious why so many people neglected such a simple reason: how to do right-clicks. Not to say how to do mouse hovering. And even the left-clicks are impossible for big toes. Don't forget both left-clicks and right-clicks are always guided by hovering. Without being guided by changing of the mouse icon, you can hardly do left-clicks even with a mouse.

Can't believe it.

11. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Try Pixel Village.